• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Battle of the Hemispheres

Jean Planet

Academy Player
What do you think of an annual match between the HCup and the Super 14 now 15 winners?
What a great match for fans , TVs and players it would be !

Imagine a match between Stade Toulousain and Blue Bulls, Leinster or Munster vs Canterbury Crusaders or Leiceter vs Waratahs...

We have just a date to find , I think the best is in late january, before Six Nations in the North and in preseason for Super rugby in the South.

So Join us to promote a final between HCup et Super 14 winners. The Batte of the Hemispheres on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121631697877085

If you used search you'd see there is already a thread about this :)

also would it not be better to have a northern hem select 15 against a southern hem team as the h cup winners and the super 14 winners arnt full internationals and have players from the other hem (mainly applies to h cup)

Decent Idea in theory, but in reality I'm sure many of the internationals would be withdrawn due to the proximity of the June tests and the games would be a farce.

if it was going to be done mabey a every four year event like lions
make space so one week from summer tours is dropped to make this or add it mabey to aut internationals

I think there is a window in late january, before the six nations in the north and before the beginning of Super rugby in the south.
Both teams notably in the south would be fit.
I agree with you Munsterman, not in june with tests coming up, neither in december cause super rugby teams are not anymore together at that time.

I think there is a window in late january, before the six nations in the north and before the beginning of Super rugby in the south.
I agree with you Munsterman, not in june with tests coming up, neither in december cause super rugby teams are not anymore together at that time.

There's no window late January or this is left on purpose to prepare the 6N.

You can't play the match before the Super 14 begins, the NZ Super 14 sides change from year to year due to players having to earn super 14 selection each year through good form in the NPC , its not like in the north where players are contracted to the team. The super 14 sides would be woefully underdone and it would be a farce.

Yes hemispheres battle and they do

but this battle is pro-southern till north took RWC just once

Could we not have a NH barbarians vs a SH barbarians match???

Not sure that Barbarians FC would be keen on their brand being used like that!

Last time there was an inter-hemisphere all-stars match (the Tsunami match at Twickenham) there was an over-whelming air of superiority for the SH team. Then again it was like a who's-who of Tri-Nations rugby against 15 blokes from the frog and fiddler wearing the NH colours. The logistics of these matches are an absolute nightmare, but the potential is huge.

For the HEC winners vs the Super 14 winners; The idea is neat but ultimately it would end up being as much a farce as Leagues World Club Championship. Neither team would really give a stuff unless it's played on home soil.

Last time there was an inter-hemisphere all-stars match (the Tsunami match at Twickenham) there was an over-whelming air of superiority for the SH team. Then again it was like a who's-who of Tri-Nations rugby against 15 blokes from the frog and fiddler wearing the NH colours. The logistics of these matches are an absolute nightmare, but the potential is huge.

For the HEC winners vs the Super 14 winners; The idea is neat but ultimately it would end up being as much a farce as Leagues World Club Championship. Neither team would really give a stuff unless it's played on home soil.

You've highlighted (as is often illustrated on TRF), the main reason that SH could never effectively beat the NH in any contest. It'd never be "fair", there'd always be an excuse. That's fine, but a two-way street.

You remember that match as well as I do Craig, the NH team was hardly laden with the cream of the crop! lol

Northern Hemisphere team: C Paterson (Scotland); M Bergamasco (Italy), O Smith (England), C Sweeney (Wales), B Cohen (England); D Humphreys (Ireland), G Cooper (Wales); J Yapp (Wales), A ***terrell (England), C Horsman (Worcester); M Bortolami (Italy), D O'Callaghan (Ireland); L Dallaglio (England - capt), P Sanderson (England), S Taylor (Scotland).

Replacements:
R Ibanez (France), C Soulette (France), O Brouzet (France), J Thomas (Wales), M Phillips (Llanelli), M Taylor (Wales), M Tait (England). Pitchside: Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)

Southern Hemisphere team: C Latham (Australia); B Lima (Samoa), J Fourie (SA), T Umaga (New Zealand), S Bobo (Fiji); A Mehrtens (NZ) G Gregan (Aus - capt); C Hoeft (NZ), J Smit (SA), C Visagie (SA); O Palepoi (Samoa), V Matfield (SA); S Burger (SA), P Waugh (Aus), T Kefu (Aus).

Replacements:
E Taukafa (Tonga), E Guinazu (Argentina), S Sititi (Samoa), M Mustchin (NZ), M Rauluni (Fiji), T Delport (SA), S Drahm (Aus).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/4294979.stm

You remember that match as well as I do Craig, the NH team was hardly laden with the cream of the crop! lol

True, true. I'll have to agree there. That's the limit though. You know I don't agree with you on more than one issue out of 10, lol!

The difference is that those matches with Barbarians and NH and SH are sorts of "match de gala".
Proof: in 2005 it was a charity match.
Morover Barbarians would not be interested in those contest.
It 's not the spirit of a BARBARIAN match.

This play off final one on one with Hcup vs Super 14 winners, or more teams who knows, would be an official competition , with a Trophy, thousands of fans and TV interest all over the world.

That's the point!

Not necessary to name NH team Barbarians too, pirates can be useful :))))))

Interesting how soccer and rugby both are played by SH teams than NH

Tis a great idea. Then we can finally shut up that Stephen Jones guy and prove the S14 is infact superior to everything else. Bubble gum rugby my foot.

Tis a great idea. Then we can finally shut up that Stephen Jones guy and prove the S14 is infact superior to everything else. Bubble gum rugby my foot.

It's the kind of bubble-gum rugby that makes you want to buy the players though.

Not necessary to name NH team Barbarians too, pirates can be useful :))))))

Interesting how soccer and rugby both are played by SH teams than NH

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Given the way that the SH has hijacked the IRB and tried to reinvent and rebrand the game for home consumption the concept of an annual SH v NH club play off will become as alien as an annual League v Union match to decide who is best.

Latest posts