• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - New Zealand (06/10/2012)

I think the only thing that would screw us over would be if say McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Smith all retired in the same season. Hopefully it is a slow, gradual transition rather than something that happens all at once. Generally an era of the All Blacks seems to merge into the next one. We just need to keep replacing one player at a time. Keep a bit of youth and a bit of experience.

That is actaully what i was trying to say... you on the money!

Yeah, hooker is the real area of concern right now. Second-five to a lesser extent as well. It is easier to convert another outside back to second five though then develop a good hooker. I think we have plenty of young talent. The transitions in the past have been pretty good. Generally, we have clear replacements for most positions. I think the only thing that would screw us over would be if say McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Smith all retired in the same season. Hopefully it is a slow, gradual transition rather than something that happens all at once. Generally an era of the All Blacks seems to merge into the next one. We just need to keep replacing one player at a time. Keep a bit of youth and a bit of experience.

It's also worth remembering that in 2015 the stars of the All Blacks could very well be those who were not quite there in 2011. In 2007 Kaino was considered a bit of a disappointment and in 2011 he was immense. Nonu and Weepu missed out in 2007 also. I predict it will be players like Freuan, Kahui, Vito, Messam, Ben Smith who will really shine in four years time. Most of the young guys now with the exception of the exceptional ones (i.e. Ardie Savea) may have to wait until 2019.

He was? the guy was young and had just debuted for the all blacks the year before. He was never going to be part of the RWC07 squad. Maybe he was a disappointment if you compared him to Jerry Collins then.

Anyways I wanted to reply to your comment about your prediction that players that missed out in 2011 will shine in 2015, especially with Messam. Do you think he will be there in the RWC15? I just realised that he is a year younger then kaino. Do you think that we will have someone else in the number 6 jersey?

He was? the guy was young and had just debuted for the all blacks the year before. He was never going to be part of the RWC07 squad. Maybe he was a disappointment if you compared him to Jerry Collins then.

Anyways I wanted to reply to your comment about your prediction that players that missed out in 2011 will shine in 2015, especially with Messam. Do you think he will be there in the RWC15? I just realised that he is a year younger then kaino. Do you think that we will have someone else in the number 6 jersey?

I see no reason why Messam couldn't be there in 2015, as early 30's isn't that old for a loose-forward, though as you say it is far from certain. It wouldn't surprise me is Kaino was back form Japan by then and in contention, though I'm sure the younger brigade of Vito, Shields, Taufua etc could all be in contention too........

I think people are assuming to much. You guys are assuming this team stays together because they are still winning when they get to the 2015 would cup...... now what happens if in 2013-14 if we loose more than a few tests and some players are found out and have to be replaced?

I still think Aus and SA were really bad this year the springboks in particular have the ability to beat us consistently but they are just totally out of sorts with player selection and tactics atm. Australia has a long road as they simply dont have enough depth of real quality players. Tactically though they are a good side.

Dont get me wrong we have a great team... but they are certainly not unbeatable for the next few years.

I think people are assuming to much. You guys are assuming this team stays together because they are still winning when they get to the 2015 would cup...... now what happens if in 2013-14 if we loose more than a few tests and some players are found out and have to be replaced?

I still think Aus and SA were really bad this year the springboks in particular have the ability to beat us consistently but they are just totally out of sorts with player selection and tactics atm. Australia has a long road as they simply dont have enough depth of real quality players. Tactically though they are a good side.

Dont get me wrong we have a great team... but they are certainly not unbeatable for the next few years.

If players start to get found out they should be replaced. I think it is important we don't preempt that though. A lot of people said in 2009 that Thorn wouldn't have made it to the world cup. But he did. Now, we could have gotten rid of him in 2009 but I think everyone can see that that would have been a huge mistake. South Africa's problem was that they held onto players (Smit) for far too long when it became clear that they were past their best. The challenge is to introduce new players so that you have clear replacements while continuing to win.

I think there are massive problems with your style of play. Now I'm not going to say you need to play more attacking rugby. That is how we play in New Zealand and it works well for us. You guys prefer to kick all day. Neither style is better or worse than any other as long as it is well executed. The problem is that you guys are stuck in your ways. Their are times when you shouldn't kick but it seems so ingrained that you do it anyway. Watch the last 20 minutes of either test against us. You guys are behind but there are plenty of terrible kicks when you should actually run the ball. Or when Dagg was yellow carded, you still carted the ball up in the forwards and kicked. Fine when you are winning but not when you need quick tries against 14 players.

Your kicking game is easy to defend against because it is predictable. Our wingers and fullback know where they have to be for the kick and know it is inevitably coming. For instance, in Dunedin I think it was you continually bombed Jane when he is one of the best under the high ball in world rugby. Savea went through the game barely challenged. Not only were the tactics terrible but they were poorly executed. Carter is the best first five in the world because he takes the ball to the line. Someone like Steyn was too predictable he would kick or pass. On the weekend your first fives collectively ran twice while Carter ran six times. South Africa are too predictable to beat us regularly right now. I think Australia have a better chance because of the style they play which is much harder to figure out. Carter kicked a drop goal on the weekend when for years that had no place in our rugby. There was plenty of kicking for territory too at the end. You have to mix up your style to be effective.

cOULDN'T READ ANY FURTHER BECAUSE THE SIMPLE FACT IS WE KICKED THE LEAST OUT OF ALL 4 TEAMS. NOT SAYING WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO BUT THE PROBLEM ISN'T THE SHEAR AMOUNT OF KICKING. tHAT IS WAY TOO SIMPLISTIC AN ANGLE TO START FROM.

Latest posts