• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby is being ruined

Mate you are probably one of those guys who celebrates 8th place. Not a fan of people getting knocked out or hurt but if you play rugby you take some hits get back up and go again there were no serious injuries 1 Yr ago so why all of a sudden now. You and the rest of them need to harden up play rugby stop being weak and looking to blame if you chose to fall into a tackle it's your fault unless there is intent from the other bloke but I think now guys know that they will get rewarded with s penalty and a card and will be doing the weak thing and intentionally falling in tackles WEAK
Listen 'mate', you obviously have no comprehension of the actual situation rugby finds itself in. Due to the findings of Will Smith... sorry Dr Bennet Omalu, and others who have subsequently picked up his work, Rugby is at a precipice. If it continued in the form that it was, the game would be bankrupt by 2040 at the latest. CTE is real, and although there is no proof (yet) that it contributes to motor neuron disease, I for one wouldn't be surprised if a correlation is eventually discovered.

Right now the game is protecting itself under the guise of protecting the players (I'm a cynic sue me... not you Scotland ;)) and if it doesn't there will be an avalanche of law suits &/ even worse we could well have a player/ex-player go full-on Chris Benoit.

I get this is having a real downer on your personal enjoyment but the world isn't there just to make you smile.

Yes.
Please show your evidence that there were "no serious injuries 1 year ago"
Did you hear of any
Listen 'mate', you obviously have no comprehension of the actual situation rugby finds itself in. Due to the findings of Will Smith... sorry Dr Bennet Omalu, and others who have subsequently picked up his work, Rugby is at a precipice. If it continued in the form that it was, the game would be bankrupt by 2040 at the latest. CTE is real, and although there is no proof (yet) that it contributes to motor neuron disease, I for one wouldn't be surprised if a correlation is eventually discovered.

Right now the game is protecting itself under the guise of protecting the players (I'm a cynic sue me... not you Scotland ;)) and if it doesn't there will be an avalanche of law suits &/ even worse we could well have a player/ex-player go full-on Chris Benoit.

I get this is having a real downer on your personal enjoyment but the world isn't there just to make you smile.
mate if you take contact out of the game you may as well play football, how many high tackles in a game maybe 2/3 and remember rugby is a contact sport so if that's the case you shouldn't drive your car to work

Did you hear of any

mate if you take contact out of the game you may as well play football, how many high tackles in a game maybe 2/3 and remember rugby is a contact sport so if that's the case you shouldn't drive your car to work
And why is it going bankrupt

And why is it going bankrupt
Because players who will be diagnosed with CTE will sue their unions/clubs/World Rugby... and if Rugby is seen to be doing nothing about it, Rugby will lose... every case. Hence, they be doing something about it!

I reckon he's right. We should totally go the other way from what scientific evidence is showing in terms of the impact of long term concussive injuries. What we need is bigger faster players being incentivised to target the head of the opposition. Open season on head shots. The game will be an awesome spectacle as the leviathans go about trying to knock each other unconscious. I for one can't wait for this and will absolutely be signing my son up to play. I mean it what's not to like about getting CTE?

• changes in mood – such as frequent mood swings, depression, and feeling increasingly anxious, frustrated or agitated
  • increasing confusion and disorientation – for example, getting lost, wandering or not knowing what time of day it is
  • difficulty thinking – such as finding it hard to make decisions
I hope my son gets to enjoy all of these as a result of the changes to the game the poster wishes to make...........

Two questions if you don't mind me asking. How old are you? (A 5/10 year range will do) and do you play the game?

And also:
https://theblitzdefence.wordpress.c...ayers-forced-to-retire-due-to-brain-injuries/

Opinions like yours are dangerous and not welcome in the sport.
Yes I play have and have had heaps of headhigh tackles and I feel sorry for all those on the list and their families but we all play the game well most do for the hard knocks rough and tumble and I hope no one runs into the field to intentionally hurt someone if you break most contact sports you will find results like you have and I know Leon personally and his and probably a lot of the others didn't come from a headhigh tackle it came from a head clash which was very unlucky.

I reckon he's right. We should totally go the other way from what scientific evidence is showing in terms of the impact of long term concussive injuries. What we need is bigger faster players being incentivised to target the head of the opposition. Open season on head shots. The game will be an awesome spectacle as the leviathans go about trying to knock each other unconscious. I for one can't wait for this and will absolutely be signing my son up to play. I mean it what's not to like about getting CTE?

• changes in mood – such as frequent mood swings, depression, and feeling increasingly anxious, frustrated or agitated
  • increasing confusion and disorientation – for example, getting lost, wandering or not knowing what time of day it is
  • difficulty thinking – such as finding it hard to make decisions
I hope my son gets to enjoy all of these as a result of the changes to the game the poster wishes to make...........
Mate don't let your son play

Unfortunately, the solution they have adopted will probably bankrupt them much sooner, no one wants to see players injured but at the same time, no one is going to watch a game where the players are rolling around like Neymar every time someone gets within a metre of them.

In pool play a sending off really doesn't matter that much but now we are at a point in the competition where a sending off early in the game is game over, just for demonstration purposes lets assume the Bundee Aki incident happened in the coming Quarter-Final it would be a game-deciding decision based on a tackle that neither dangerous nor malicious.

While these rules are necessary the interpretation and implementation of them is wrong and will have a detrimental effect on the game in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the solution they have adopted will probably bankrupt them much sooner, no one wants to see players injured but at the same time, no one is going to watch a game where the players are rolling around like Neymar every time someone gets within a metre of them.

In pool play a sending off really doesn't matter that much but now we are at a point in the competition where a sending off early in the game is game over, just for demonstration purposes lets assume the Bundee Aki incident happened in the coming Quarter-Final it would be a game-deciding decision based on a tackle that neither dangerous nor malicious.

While these rules are necessary the interpretation and implementation of them is wrong in my opinion.
You don't have to tell a Welshman who watched Warburton get sent off after 17 minutes in a World Cup semi-final how a card can effect a game.

Though it does seem you have to tell a kiwi (well not all of them but for the sake of this burgeoning proverb) about how a concussion affects the brain.

You don't have to tell a Welshman who watched Warburton get sent off after 17 minutes in a World Cup semi-final how a card can effect a game.

Though it does seem you have to tell a kiwi (well not all of them but for the sake of this burgeoning proverb) about how a concussion affects the brain.

That is somewhat of a leap as many of the tackles we are seeing given cards are not even remotely dangerous they simply fall under a very broad interpretation of a law.

There is a vast difference between doing 41kmph through a school zone (speed limit is 40kmph here) and 160kmph and the punishment shouldn't be the same but what we are seeing currently at this world cup a one punishment fits all approach and I believe it has detracted from the spectacle of the tournament as a whole.

Latest posts