• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Laws Q & A

Yes.. technically it is.. I was awestruck when we were told about it at the ref class... all those things that ur coach tells u to do about briging... they are illegal.. lol...

when u say a penalty awared at the breakdown, is it a kick at goal for 3 points? or a tap kick? or a kick to touch for the thhrow in

the whole point of a penalty is that it gives you the freedom to choose any of the options that you listed above-

the team that concedes the most penalties often loses,

when u say a penalty awared at the breakdown, is it a kick at goal for 3 points? or a tap kick? or a kick to touch for the thhrow in
[/b]

When you are given a PENALTY KICK, you may do the following: Kick to Touch and gain the lineout throw in, Tap n Go, Scrum, and Kick to Goal for a 3 pointer

When you are given a FREE KICK , you may have a Scrum, Tap n Go, Kick to touch or wherever but u wont throw the ball in the lineout...

The Arabian Gulf Rugby Football Union made a ruling today saying that all referees will have to go for a class and be re-certified for this new scrum laws the IRB has made... so, back to school again for me on the 2nd Jan...

Scenario: say there is a breakaway and the final man makes the tackle, does someone from the defending side have to go all the way around the tackle, then step over the offensive player who must post the ball to get it? Or can the defensive player just grab the ball from the offensive side? I was under the impression there was no offsides when there is no ruck/maul formed, but our ref thought otherwise.. if that doesnt make sense, let me know and ill try to clear it up.. thanks..

Well, I'm assuming that the fullback makes a try saving tackle, the TACKLED player has no support for miles, and fullback's team mate came from the opposite side to get the ball with no opposition in sight but the one who is tackled...
in that case you are NOT offside... a ruck is formed where one or more players from each team who are ON THEIR FEET, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground and open play has ended. I am assuming that both the tackLER and tackLED are still on the floor, and tackLER's team mate came and took the ball... perfectly legal for me...

Only when a supporting player is there to form a ruck then u are offside.. go argue this with ur ref... off the field though... I will yellow card sumone who tries to smart talk with me... lol :p

question about the simple 'knock on.' is it considered a knock on if the ball falls unintentially from the player's hand straight down, with no forward progress, then upon the bounce, advances forward? and if the event is behind the player's body, as if catching a pass that was thrown behind its intended receiver, if the ball hits the players hand then falls slightly forward, but behind the player, is it still a knock on. ive never had ready access to someone with definitive (well supposedly, jk) knowledge of the game, so all the questions im not sure about/asked about are coming up at once.. thanks again.

Now, if i was the referee at that game, I would call it a knock on...
the IRB's definition of a knock on is:

A knock on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes
forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm,
or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball
touches the ground or another player before the original player can
catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.

The decision to call a knock on is fully on the referee's discretion... so I would recomend that however knocked BACK the ball looks if the ref calls it a knock on, just be quiet and follow him...
I'm glad ur finding my answers helpful :)

catch it.
[/b]
I assume it's that bit of the law that forbids a player from throwing the ball over an opposing player's head, running round him and catching the ball himself.

<div class='quotemain'>
catch it.

[/b]
I assume it's that bit of the law that forbids a player from throwing the ball over an opposing player's head, running round him and catching the ball himself.
[/b][/quote]

see the other BOLD sentence.. "and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it" so u can throw the ball over the opponent's head, and run around to catch the ball before all those thing happen... like what BOD did... that is legal..

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
catch it.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

see the other BOLD sentence.. "and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it" so u can throw the ball over the opponent's head, and run around to catch the ball before all those thing happen... like what BOD did... that is legal..
[/b][/quote]
But don't the rules state that a knock-on or throw-forward must be unintentional? According to Rugby: A Player's Guide to the Laws by Derek Robinson (an ex-referee and author of The Laws in Plain English), "a pass involves two players. A throw forward does not. The law doesn't care what you are trying to do, or whether you have a team mate at the other end of it. If the ball leaves your hands and it's thrown forward, that's enough".

hey ABfreak how are the new ref classes coming along...

they shld have referee for refs to yellow card control freaks like you! :bravo:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
catch it.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
But don't the rules state that a knock-on or throw-forward must be unintentional? According to Rugby: A Player's Guide to the Laws by Derek Robinson (an ex-referee and author of The Laws in Plain English), "a pass involves two players. A throw forward does not. The law doesn't care what you are trying to do, or whether you have a team mate at the other end of it. If the ball leaves your hands and it's thrown forward, that's enough".
[/b][/quote]
Well, my quote was taken from the IRB Lawbook, a book that every ref treats as their bible... sad thing is peejay, that book you read is just an interpretation of the law by Derek Robinson, this is where the referee interpretation of the law subject comes in... :)

hey ABfreak how are the new ref classes coming along...

they shld have referee for refs to yellow card control freaks like you! :bravo:
[/b]

The ref class for that new scrum law went well, i've posted about it on another thread... i'll copy it into this thread for everyone to read... and yeah, there is a ref for refs.. we're being watched every single game man.. and scrutinized if we made stupid decisions! :unsure:

Well, my quote was taken from the IRB Lawbook, a book that every ref treats as their bible... sad thing is peejay, that book you read is just an interpretation of the law by Derek Robinson, this is where the referee interpretation of the law subject comes in... :)
[/b]
So does a knock-on or throw-forward have to be unintentional for it to be considered a knock-on?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
So does a knock-on or throw-forward have to be unintentional for it to be considered a knock-on?
[/b][/quote]
the thing is peejay, if it is intentional, you wont get a scrum but you will be penalised... an INTENTIONAL knock on would be when u just "intercepted" a pass without showing that u tried to catch it, and intentional throw forward is well, intentionally passing to someone in front of u.. do u get me? or did I just confuse u into thinking that every pass forward is a penalty offence? :p

the thing is peejay, if it is intentional, you wont get a scrum but you will be penalised... an INTENTIONAL knock on would be when u just "intercepted" a pass without showing that u tried to catch it, and intentional throw forward is well, intentionally passing to someone in front of u.. do u get me? or did I just confuse u into thinking that every pass forward is a penalty offence? :p
[/b]
That's the thing, a throw forward doesn't have to be a pass. That's why it's officially called a throw forward, not a forward pass. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that if you chucked it over an opposition player's head and ran onto it yourself, it should been a penalty, because it's an intentional throw forward. If you think about it, that's why players chip over the full back, rather than toss it up over his head and run onto it.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
That's the thing, a throw forward doesn't have to be a pass. That's why it's officially called a throw forward, not a forward pass. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that if you chucked it over an opposition player's head and ran onto it yourself, it should been a penalty, because it's an intentional throw forward. If you think about it, that's why players chip over the full back, rather than toss it up over his head and run onto it.
[/b][/quote]
but peejay, it must involve sumone else or the ground to be made an infringement... if u miraculously chucked the ball up and back to urselve, before sumone else or the ground touches the ball, then it is ok...
why players chip? well most might not know of this law, but then again, it is a safer way to get the ball over the opponent's head, coz then u wont inflict a scrum if u couldnt get the ball on time...

Latest posts