• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League 3 ideas.

R

Radman

RL3 is likely a long way off yet but feel free to post your ideas for RL3 here.

I will post the better ones in the RL3 ideas thread over in Sidhe' site with full credit to the poster.

all i have heard is that they are in talks with hes but nothing has been decided or anything yet

Updated teams

Good Player Creator like in Top Spin 2

More options in-game...

Smooth gameplay like in Rugby 06

Player Suspensions high tackle etc

Career/Manager mode

Rugby League WC 08

Better goal-kicking & tactical kicking options like curving the ball by urself without wind

Emotion buttons like in Top Spin which can alter gameplay eg morale or anger

Bad ref calls every now and then

lots of difficulty levels

....Updated teams

Bad ref calls every now and then

lots of difficulty levels

[/b]
Updated teams - That's a no brainer. Of course they'll have updated teams for a game which will outdate it's previous ***le by atleast 2 years.

Bad ref calls every now and then - Bah. That'd be crap.

lots of difficulty levels - So more difficult levels than the usual 3 or 4?. I think it'd be overkill and no need for it to tell you the truth. The difficulties would become too close together.

I hope that the menu's etc didn't load as long as it did on RL2.

Personally I liked RL2, except that it was hard to control the player...

If they fixed up the defense, and player movement and graphics then i wouldn't mind it.

I hope that the menu's etc didn't load as long as it did on RL2.

Personally I liked RL2, except that it was hard to control the player...

If they fixed up the defense, and player movement and graphics then i wouldn't mind it.
[/b]

yeah I did find the player hard to move, it wasn't exactly smooth like Rugby 06

They should re-release RL1 with RL2's graphics, that alone would be ten times more playable than RL2 and alot less embarassing than releasing sequels that take huge leaps backwards.

I hope that the menu's etc didn't load as long as it did on RL2.Personally I liked RL2, except that it was hard to control the player.. If they fixed up the defense, and player movement and graphics then i wouldn't mind it. [/b]

The graphics were awesome, all they needed to change was the smoothness of the players. it was hard to defend if you were a marker and the hooker took like 5 seconds before he passed the ball. But thr Graphics were awesome.

<div class='quotemain'> I hope that the menu's etc didn't load as long as it did on RL2.Personally I liked RL2, except that it was hard to control the player.. If they fixed up the defense, and player movement and graphics then i wouldn't mind it. [/b]

The graphics were awesome, all they needed to change was the smoothness of the players. it was hard to defend if you were a marker and the hooker took like 5 seconds before he passed the ball. But thr Graphics were awesome.

[/b][/quote]

Wouldn't say the graphics were awesome, but it's good enough and graphics ain't everything in these games. In sports games I'd always take good gameplay over good graphics.

Sidhe need to start playing Pro Evolution Soccer and then make a League game, not holding my breath for anything soon

Improved kicking and smoother running animations, it felt a bit robotic when sidestepping someone.

Just wanna get some feedback on this idea for a control set up for defence.

Controls (PS2/3 controller)

R2=Move defence forward

Use the R2 button to advance your defensive line forward together as one.

The AI would control moving back the ten.

L1=Slide defence <<<

Press and hold the L1 button to slide your defensive line to the left, tightening gaps on the left side of your defensive line and opening gaps on the right side.

R1=Slide Defence >>>

Press and hold the R1 button to slide your defensive line to the right, tightening gaps on the right side of your defensive line and opening gaps on the left side.

L1 + R1=Slide Defence together in line with player with the ball

Press and hold L1 + R1 together to slide your defensive line in together from the left and right side of the ball carrier creating a wall of defensive players, the longer you hold the buttons down the more tighter the defence gets.

Double tap and hold L1= < left side umbrella defence

Double tap and hold L1 to advance players forward from the left side of your defensive line in such a way as to create an arc of players (umbrella defence) that could force attacking play away from the left side of the field and provide an intercept opportunity if the attack risks passing to that side.

Double tap and hold R1= > right side umbrella defence

Double tap and hold R1 to advance players forward from the right side of your defensive line in such a way as to create an arc of players (umbrella defence) that could force attacking play away from the right side of the field and provide an intercept opportunity.

L2=Marker Defence on/off

I came up with this idea while watching the Roast on Sunday and think it is a good one. How I was thinking it would work is with a simple tap of the button you could change the way your defensive line works when marking the opposition players. With marker defence ON the D line will stay spread and perform all actions but with the line fully spread as if marking the whole attacking line, so wingers will stay wide and come in when spread but never too far so as not to leave space out wide that can't be covered if there is a one on one out wide.

With marker defence OFF I was thinking that the defence when spreading left or right could spread more in field and to one side, being even tighter defensively in the middle and to the side you choose to defend, leaving gaps out wide on the opposite side making it seem more like you are leaving players unmarked out wide, so the trade off for tighter D in the middle and other side of the field is there is more chance of being exploited wider out on the opposite side with cross kicks. (hope it makes sense)

So if you could imagine the above ideas working together in game you get a good idea how realistic the gameplay could be and how many options you could have on defence.

These ideas cover most real defensive options and i don't think it would be too hard to perform these actions either but if possible an option to give the AI control of player movement could be there for beginners or those who just want to tackle alone.

D-pad Left=Drop back Left Winger

D-pad Right=Drop back Right Winger

This would make defending 40/20s your responsibility

D-pad Up=Drop back Fullback

D-pad Down=Bring Fullback into the Defensive line

I was thinking maybe have three positions for the fullback, Deep, close and in.

Deep meaning obviously deep in prep for a deep kick, close meaning in line with the player with the ball but a few metres behind the defensive line and in meaning part of the defensive line.

Circle=Tackle/attempt one on one strip/control ruck or hold player down

Square=change to nearest player to the ball

X or Right Stick Up=Attempt Shoulder charge

Triangle=Dive for loose ball/attempt intercept/jump for or contest high ball

So in saying all this I really do believe these ideas would create a greater sense of realism on defence and give the player so much more control of the gameplay.

So what do y'all think?, good?, crap?

Thoughts +/-

thats pretty good and ill give you a + rep as not many people think about the defense on a game. Its all about attack everywhere.

Though you did miss out speed burst for a defensive player, remember that is important as well. Otherwise its very well thought out, and could possibly work if they decide to make anohter one.

Yeah, in my haste to post the idea I forgot about player movement. I didn't put a speed burst option in as I figured the analog stick is so versatile that a button press is just a waste when you can jog, run and sprint using the stick alone. It would be imo much better and somewhat strangely unique for a sports game. I just don't see the need for the button tap or hold anymore. Not every game has to be like Madden.:)

With full analog control of player movement and speed, the developer could concentrate on getting the player movement more realistic through the movement of the stick alone. Also with one less button press the other features in the idea can be concentrated on more.

Latest posts