• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League Tackling in Union

X

xxdansigxx

Hi this is my first thread on the forum hiya everyone...

Right iv'e been looking at this for the last couple of months...

For some reason all teams now try to tackle like there playing rugby league...

for example yestarday's tri nations game i saw about 10 in 50 tackles wich where bellow the waste or someone was dumped...

Why has there been a decline in this type of tackling wich can change the momentum at any time?

any suggestions

also the biggest run of the year chabal Vs new zeland why would they try and tackle chabal up high?? it makes no sense no wonder that second row ;) got a broken jaw lmao

They keep poaching RL coaches to teach defensive strategy to the Unioners...it only makes sense that some of the ideals would start to creep in.

To me, that is one of the major flaws in Union, is the tackling, shocking in some cases.

Jeff

Tackling in the two games is completely different due to, as someone else pointed out in a different thread, the ball carriers bodyshape when they go into contact; In league it's all about getting those vital extra metres knowing they can't just be turned over in contact so they'll be head up running full tilt, thus the 'big hits' (half of which aren't big hits at all and normally weaker then Hensons pick on Tait, but we're not getting into a slag the other game off dibate) will happen. In Union the players need to protect the ball for those vital few seconds until support arrives, ao they'll scrunch up into a cannonball shape, thus being difficult to pick up and dump. That's why they don't have so many of these "big hits".

The only reason for a lot of big hits in the Tri-Nations game yesterday was because of who was playing; NZ v SA games are always physical encounters.

as far as picking players up in the tackle usually by lifting the ball carrier's leg it's just an effective method of halting someone's forward progress in both rl and ru and a good way of turning someone so they have to release the ball on your side of the ruck

both south africa and nz did this in yesterdays game where there were quite a few turnovers and stolen possessions not all illegal despite the kiwi rants about the referee not controlling this area

Tackling in the two games is completely different due to, as someone else pointed out in a different thread, the ball carriers bodyshape when they go into contact; In league it's all about getting those vital extra metres knowing they can't just be turned over in contact so they'll be head up running full tilt, thus the 'big hits' (half of which aren't big hits at all and normally weaker then Hensons pick on Tait, but we're not getting into a slag the other game off dibate) will happen. In Union the players need to protect the ball for those vital few seconds until support arrives, ao they'll scrunch up into a cannonball shape, thus being difficult to pick up and dump. That's why they don't have so many of these "big hits".

The only reason for a lot of big hits in the Tri-Nations game yesterday was because of who was playing; NZ v SA games are always physical encounters. [/b]

Whilst that is a tincy, wincy bit barbed, I don't think you're wide of the mark with this summary. The key thing is the turnover - we don't have that and therefore the way you enter a tackle isn't important. You've made the point so well I needn't expand on it.

I do think our technique is better but it's all well and good going round the legs if someone is already prepared to hit the deck, if you get what I mean...

Saving space.
[/b]

Would I be correct in assuming there's also the risk factor being nullified when going for the body, rather than legs. Trying not to generalise the tacklers, but a leg tackle is not as 'secure' (for the most part) than a lock around the body. If you tackle via the core of the other, you have the most stable grip. Legs can be shook a lot more than the body itself.

Or am I nuts?

Latest posts