• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Protective gear worth it or not?

Raco0m

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
I have been playing rugby for a while and im going to do so more in the future and i would like to know if the protective gear is worth it or not.
I would really like a scrum cap cus im playing second row and my ears are dying sometimes, and i have been hit on the head lots and with a great force so i would like to get the full protection i can even though its not alot
What about shoulder pads? is it worth it or is it more of a moral help as i read from a lot of people
Im not raining in money so i would really like to know if i can skip on something or should i buy it to be more protected.
Thanks for the help

The scrum cap wont stop a concussion, I only ever wore one when I had cuts on my head/forehead. Shoulder pads aren't necessary at all IMO, unless you have had real problems with your shoulders but I haven't had experience with them if they do stop shoulder problems.

So that we are very, very clear - a scrumcap will do absolutely nothing (literally nothing) to prevent brain trauma in real terms.
It might stop your ears from getting torn or cauliflowered, at the cost of reduced spatial awareness.

And likewise, the padded shirts you can buy do very little other than stop bone on bone impacts from hurting quite as much, but if your collar bone is going to break - the padding isn't likely to do ****.

IMO - save your money.

I always wore a scrum cap as my ears used to tear at the top.

Gum shield is must but shoulder pads don't really work for the majority of people.

scrumcaps are horrible when its warm, its like wearing your own personal sauna for your head

For me, I wore shoulder pads on and off for a few years but since I broke my collarbone two years ago I've worn them since. As highlighted earlier, they don't actually do a huge amount in terms of preventing breaks (I was wearing pads when I broke my collar bone), but they have given me more confidence in my shoulder so I don't really think about it when I play now.

Most rugby protection is designed to prevent cuts rather than cushion impacts. Scrumcaps stop ears being torn to shreds and could prevent cuts to the head but offer negligible protection against impacts. Gum shields are the only piece that are specifically designed to protect against impacts and are a must.

I have never worn a scrum cap, I'm a pretty boy (back) about the shoulder's pads. It takes some time to become accustomed to it, if you have had shoulder problems can give you more confidence.

Latest posts