• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game

There's still plenty of time for marketing...

LA Noire comes out tomorrow, but I've only seen adverts for it for the past couple of weeks

rockstar have been releasing gameplay footage and marketing videos about the technology used to make the game for well over a year.

the marketing of this particular ***le has either been an utter shambles, or the developers have so little confidence in it that a 3 minute youtube video (which is free, by the way) of the game being played is too much to risk.

we're three months from the release date and not a single image or second of footage has been released. the facts tell their own story.

Same could be said and Sidhe, but no one goes on about that :huh:

and apparently there's promos at Game in Cardiff, sooooo.........

rockstar have been releasing gameplay footage and marketing videos about the technology used to make the game for well over a year.

the marketing of this particular ***le has either been an utter shambles, or the developers have so little confidence in it that a 3 minute youtube video (which is free, by the way) of the game being played is too much to risk.

we're three months from the release date and not a single image or second of footage has been released. the facts tell their own story.

Facts ? what are the facts ? give me some facts that prove this game will be a failure...go on try it instead of being a whiny little so and so

Same could be said and Sidhe, but no one goes on about that :huh:

and apparently there's promos at Game in Cardiff, sooooo.........

you consider a pre-order a "promo"?

i can walk to my local shop and pre order whatever i like, it's not a "promo", it's how games are retailed, not promoted.

Facts ? what are the facts ? give me some facts that prove this game will be a failure...go on try it instead of being a whiny little so and so

i'm trying to work out whether you're being ironic, or you're just really, really thick.

Does a game with little or no competition need to be advertised...no it does not Sidhe and HB have complete control over the Rugby gaming market and as a result they do not need to advertise them months in advance in order to build hype as the majority of those who will purchase the game have been waiting for 4 years to play the games ...

Stop talking about marketing if you dont understand that they need very little for the service that they will be providing.

you consider a pre-order a "promo"?

i can walk to my local shop and pre order whatever i like, it's not a "promo", it's how games are retailed, not promoted.

If they have a sign up saying "Pre-order now" then people will see the sign and know that the game exists!

so a business that has invested a significant amount of time and money into a single product should/would not attempt to then actually try and sell it to the consumer?

you really are thick.

You are missing the point entirely ..They don't need to invest heavily in advertising ..how did you and countless others who have recently signed up to this board for information find out about this game ?

Not having the budget of other games means their ability to advertise is significantly reduced but really it makes little or no difference as rugby fans all over the world upon hearing of this game will jump to buy it after a 4 year drought.

When the market is controlled like HB and Sidhe have it they are the only ones providing the service ..who do they have to compete with ?

Your comments regarding my intellect amuse me.

You are missing the point entirely ..They don't need to invest heavily in advertising ..how did you and countless others who have recently signed up to this board for information find out about this game ?

Not having the budget of other games means their ability to advertise is significantly reduced but really it makes little or no difference as rugby fans all over the world upon hearing of this game will jump to buy it after a 4 year drought.

When the market is controlled like HB and Sidhe have it they are the only ones providing the service ..who do they have to compete with ?

Your comments regarding my intellect amuse me.

1: viral, online advertising is incredibly cheap. as pointed out previously it costs nothing to release a gameplay footage video that has been made in-house. it's the industry standard as far as video game marketing goes - just log on youtube and see for yourself. the gamble is that if the footage is poor then it could turn away potential customers, but if you have confidence in the game then this wouldn't be an issue.

2: do you think rockstar, makers of the GTA franchise and probably the most succesful independent game developer in the world think to themselves "everyones heard of Grand Theft Auto, so there's probably no point in advertising the next installment"? there isn't a business in the world that doesn't want to attract new custom and increase sales turnover, and to suggest that HB/Sidhe cant be arsed attracting new customers because they have enough already is beyond [deleted].

(Note from C A Iversen: Please refrain from trying to personally insult the other persons intelligence, you run the risk of having such posts deleted in their entirety).

If they have a sign up saying "Pre-order now" then people will see the sign and know that the game exists!

Your right, but to be honest it's a technicality. I would call that a retail promotion. In relation to promotional materials there really isn't anything out there in the public for either game. Still, that's not a huge worry. I'm sure that we are within a very small number of weeks before such information is released. :)

These games are medium budget ***les and I'm sure that they'll get more promotional bang for their buck by waiting a little closer to release. There are also licensing issues to consider for every screenshot or trailer that will eventually come out. I'd imagine that they want to tie in most of their promotions to the last 8 weeks prior to the World Cup. We are absolutely not there yet, so of course theres nothing really out just now.

Over the next 3 weeks or so, prior to something coming out we are going to no doubt have several of these kind of silly people who think they can roar, complain or insult a response out of each producer or developer. It's possibly how they got the extra ice-cream from mum and dad when they were little ones.

To those people I'd just like to say that if nothing promotional is out by the end of the first week of July, then you have the beginnings of some kind of valid point. Right now you sadly don't :)

so the best thing that can be said about the game at this point in time is that it exists.

brilliant.

1: viral, online advertising is incredibly cheap. as pointed out previously it costs nothing to release a gameplay footage video that has been made in-house. it's the industry standard as far as video game marketing goes - just log on youtube and see for yourself. the gamble is that if the footage is poor then it could turn away potential customers, but if you have confidence in the game then this wouldn't be an issue.

2: do you think rockstar, makers of the GTA franchise and probably the most succesful independent game developer in the world think to themselves "everyones heard of Grand Theft Auto, so there's probably no point in advertising the next installment"? there isn't a business in the world that doesn't want to attract new custom and increase sales turnover, and to suggest that HB/Sidhe cant be arsed attracting new customers because they have enough already is beyond stupid.

Licensing issues mean that they cannot release gameplay footage until the finished product is complete making viral marketing nigh impossible.

Rockstar have competition for their brand of gaming ..they need to prove that their GTA or other games are better than what else is on the market.
HB and Sidhe are the only guys selling a rugby game in 4 years ..anyone who wants a rugby game will buy it ...and with three months until the release there is still plenty of time for a solid campaign on television where I assume the trailers will be released with a few weeks to go. whats the point of having having interest peaking now as opposed to shortly before release.

Your deflectionist arguments aren't holding water try harder.

Licensing issues mean that they cannot release gameplay footage until the finished product is complete making viral marketing nigh impossible.

I've heard this argument many times before but it is - quite frankly - bullshit. They can still release a trailer/promo without showing certain players/names/sponsors/kits etc. All it takes is a randomly generated team which has no resemblance to any real players/teams. At least that way we could have a glance at the graphics and gameplay.

I've heard this argument many times before but it is - quite frankly - bullshit. They can still release a trailer/promo without showing certain players/names/sponsors/kits etc. All it takes is a randomly generated team which has no resemblance to any real players/teams. At least that way we could have a glance at the graphics and gameplay.

Costs money and time which could be spent elsewhere, have to remove faces, kits, teams, adboards, stadium resemblance etc. Quite frankly the argument is not rubbish as you call it but a valid one.

Who the **** would be interested in some random blob moving around ..better to have a job well done (good fully licenced and impressive ad) as opposed to something that may be counter productive and actually push people and remove interest due to lack of any licencing or big name endorsements .

Latest posts