• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2015 Game Announced

At the same time SANZAR there is still france, italy (not humongous), USA (were the door is slightly ajar to the growth of rugby), Canada very small but still on the come up, and japan as well however very small. rugby 08 sold about 500000 copies so a potential market worldwide if a product is extremely good can make rugby union games competitive on a global stage eventually. IMO it does not matter if rugby is 2nd, 3rd or the 4th largest sport in each country, there is still a market bigger than a niche for rugby games.

I wonder if a more arcade-like game could work? I played and like NFL Blitz as a kid even though I had no clue about the sport at the time and more arcade-like games also attract gamers who otherwise don't care (much) about the sport/ type of game.

At the same time SANZAR there is still france, italy (not humongous), USA (were the door is slightly ajar to the growth of rugby), Canada very small but still on the come up, and japan as well however very small. rugby 08 sold about 500000 copies so a potential market worldwide if a product is extremely good can make rugby union games competitive on a global stage eventually. IMO it does not matter if rugby is 2nd, 3rd or the 4th largest sport in each country, there is still a market bigger than a niche for rugby games.

You would think so wouldn't you? By rights the market should easily be large enough to sustain a highly profitable gaming series, but for whatever reason the games just haven't delivered a return commensurate to the apparent size of the rugby market itself.

It's just a bald faced fact that they haven't justified the investment. Rugby 08 was the high watermark in terms of playability, licenses and modes, and yet EA were said to be very disappointed by the returns, which is why we now find ourselves in such a dreadful position as far as video games go.

There's a root issue that unless is dealt with, will always affect a rugby game. Rugby 08 is not the best game of all time, it was even sub par at the time since it was a constantly updated version of the same game released back in 01. When you expect and demand a 15 year old game, that's what you get. The bar is too low and is kept low by the very same gamers.

Rugby 08 had a solid control scheme that encompassed all the rugby intricacies that everyone got familiarized with and that's about it. But everyone praises the gameplay, the graphics, and the game modes, so that's what you get in Rugby 15. Poor gameplay, mobile worthy graphics and a world league. Why is everyone so obsessed with world league? Games today are more than capable to have several leagues under one simulation, no need for a single fantasy tournament.

Exactly. I don't understand why everyone praises Rugby 08 and they even say how its better than Rugby 06 when the games are almost identical. Its even pretty much the same as Rugby 05. There were even people saying how it was better than the RWC 2011 game when it was still the same lol. Sure I played it but I prefer Rugby Challenge 2. Only problem with Rugby Challenge 2 is they don't have enough in game tutorials. There's so much about it that needs to be explained but they leave it to people to figure out. Also the amount of knock on's that happen were annoying. But still better than the ease and repetitiveness of Rugby 08

Last edited:
Did no-one like RC2? I thought that was a great game, best graphics so far, easy to navigate menus, enough licensing (apart from the transfer restrictions) and pretty fun and realistic gameplay. Sure, it was a little buggy, but I felt like with another couple of instalments it would have become a really great game.
I played that a couple of times and sold it on. The main thing that needs to be spot on is gameplay and I thought this was awful.
Besides the gameplay other things were great with club licences and lots of competitions.
Sort the gameplay and they would be onto a winner.
Hopefully if there's a rugby challenge 3 on ps4/xb1 they can improve this.

If no gameplay of the rwc game comes out at E3 then that's really bad news with the competition starting in afew months, the game must be pretty bad. Hopefully we will see something promising very soon

Rugby Challenge 3

Check out the Sidhe forum. Rugby Challenge 3 might be on its way.

The EA series of rugby 2005, 06, 08 all used a FIFA engine or something along the lines. Whilst the game was developed by HB studios, perhaps the technology wasn't theirs hence they cannot easily replicate what they produced so many years ago.

And you've nailed it.

Check out the Sidhe forum. Rugby Challenge 3 might be on its way.

Just saw. So it looks like Sidhe won't be developing it, but that it will have the ABs license. With that in mind I'm betting they still have the Wallabies too and it's likely being made by BigAnt

You reckon? Will be interesting either way. Wonder why Sidhe fell out of favour... I always thought they did a good job

Sidhe lost interest in developing console games I believe.

Fair enough - I imagine the margins are more attractive for mobile games and they probably get a lot less angst for it. The amount of crap Mario had to put up with whilst doing footy games was pretty astonishing I think.

i Cant take any credit for this, just read this on the rugby challenge forum!!

Guys - some more news from South Africa regarding teh game.

I have been in contact with SARU and their licensing partner (Signet). This is the feedback I got:

"Hi David

SA Rugby is in the process of developing a licensed digital interactive gaming product with HES Interactive, which will include the Springbok and Springbok Sevens national teams as well as the respective Super Rugby franchises and regional (Currie Cup) teams. The game is due to be released in September. The South African rugby teams will therefore not feature in the 2015 Rugby World Cup video game.

Many thanks.

Regards"

A RWC game without all the licenses?

It gets worse by the second.

Wait, what? Did that just confirm sevens will be in RC3? Awwww yeeeah! It's going to be such an interesting 3 months with the build up to these 2 rugby union games... I'm supporting RC3 and Wicked Witch Software with this one

I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to see sevens in the game. The SARU group all their licences into one package, hence why there was no South African Super Rugby teams in rugby challenge as RWC 2011 held the SARU licence - at least that's how I understand it.

Edit: Just re-read the SARU statement... It does appear to include sevens... Happy days!!

A RWC game without all the licenses?

It gets worse by the second.

No it gets better by every second!!! No one cares about the RWC game so long as there's RC3. The less licenses the RWC game has the better imo. This is amazing news!!! Looks like we'll finally have a fully licensed Super Rugby competition.

HB Studios are probably regretting everything now. Basically only have casual bandwagon fans to grasp now.....

Great news about HES with SA Super licenses. So we are in for another round of 2011 again with 2 games... This time RC has the SA licenses :)

The RWC 2015 game is sounding more like a rehash of the 2011 effort more and more now... All OK for the RWC2015 game to have licenses, but hopefully they don't have "Exclusive" licenses or if they do, not many...

No it gets better by every second!!! No one cares about the RWC game so long as there's RC3. The less licenses the RWC game has the better imo. This is amazing news!!! Looks like we'll finally have a fully licensed Super Rugby competition.

Good news!!! :D

RC3 would be for PS3, PS4 or both?

HB Studios are probably regretting everything now. Basically only have casual bandwagon fans to grasp now.....

Except RC2 was a pile of manure too. Irrelevant having a game full of licenses if the game itself looks like it was made by a bunch of pre-pubescent apes on crack.

Which all recent rugby "games" have been.

Latest posts