• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 predictions

I think this could be a very good, competitive World Cup.

NZ are rightly favourites, but this isn't a vintage crop like 2011 /15.

I think Wal have too much of a psychological problem with NZ to beat them, but if someone else can take down the ABs then Wal are my favourites (can't believe I just typed that).

Eng aren't where I hoped we'd be and Ire have done the old NZ trick of peaking between RWCs.

RSA are in with a shout. In the last Championship they beat the ABs once and it should have been twice. I won't be putting my house on them but they're heading in the right direction and capable of beating anyone on their day.
You go wash your mouth out with soap.

Have to say I can see it happening too if someone else knocks out NZ (I agree I think its too big a psychological barrier at this present time), Wales have managed to get a tendency to win matches they should be loosing and don't show any signs of stopping that yet. Mind you England were in a similar situation 2 years ago, now they lose matches they should be winning.

England get hefty leads in the first 20 is not a problem most teams if they get themselves into those position go on to win by bigger margins. The real question is why we can't sustain that momentum and I don't think its exhaustion I think we get lazy.

Woah there lads, I know your game... can we go back under the radar please!

NZ are the best team but the difference is they're actually a genuine team with strengths and weaknesses like everyone else, as opposed to 2015 when most of that team could have had an argument to be one of the best players of all time in their respective positions.

They're beatable but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they won.

You summed it up well. I consider New Zealand the favorite.

I think the NH's chances rest on Ireland's QF. I don't think England or Wales can go back to back against SA and NZ (I doubt either could actually beat NZ at a World Cup too having not beaten them in so long tbh)

The only NH victories I foresee are Ireland winning the whole thing, which will require an immense tournament from JVdF as well as making easy work of Wales in the semi, which wouldn't be extremely surprising given how random a fixture Ireland v Wales tends to be. Or Ireland doing England or Wales a favour by having a great QF and bending over in the semi final, which is what I think will happen to be honest but then someone has to beat NZ. Of course scenario 2 requires Australia to do nothing which is no guarantee either. Ireland's early season form makes this all the more depressing to read.

I think if NZ win their first game you can more or less crown the SH, and more than likely NZ, champs.

I am pretty sure Ireland top Pool A. Scotland should finish runners up, but can't discount Japan with their home advantage doing something (it would be great for the tournament if they did and got through to the knockout stages).

Pool B - agree this will be decided by the first game of NZ v SA. NZ are favourites, but if they can be caught cold and their record of not losing in RWC pool game, then SA are the ones to do it.

Pool C - England to top this pool just. And a toss up between France and Argentina for runners up. Would love to see France go home.

Pool D - Wales to top the pool on current form. I think the fall out from Izzy will have a big impact on Australia (team are too old and the players they have brought in since the RWC are not world class); it may well culminate in them going home and Fiji finish runners up.

Just my current musings.

Biggest QF will be Ireland v SA/NZ. I think that one will knock the stuffing out of whoever wins that one.

I am pretty sure Ireland top Pool A. Scotland should finish runners up, but can't discount Japan with their home advantage doing something (it would be great for the tournament if they did and got through to the knockout stages).

Pool B - agree this will be decided by the first game of NZ v SA. NZ are favourites, but if they can be caught cold and their record of not losing in RWC pool game, then SA are the ones to do it.

Pool C - England to top this pool just. And a toss up between France and Argentina for runners up. Would love to see France go home.

Pool D - Wales to top the pool on current form. I think the fall out from Izzy will have a big impact on Australia (team are too old and the players they have brought in since the RWC are not world class); it may well culminate in them going home and Fiji finish runners up.

Just my current musings.

Biggest QF will be Ireland v SA/NZ. I think that one will knock the stuffing out of whoever wins that one.

Pretty much agreed. Here's how it will pan out...

QF
Eng beat Aus
NZ beat Sco
Wal beat Fra (or Arg, doesn't matter)
SA beat Ire

SF
NZ beat Eng
Wal beat SA (might be tight, but Edwards crowing moment)

Final
Wal's first, haven't beaten ABs since 1953, and you just know there will be a Warburton style injustice in there somewhere.....

Pretty much agreed. Here's how it will pan out...

QF
Eng beat Aus
NZ beat Sco
Wal beat Fra (or Arg, doesn't matter)
SA beat Ire

SF
NZ beat Eng
Wal beat SA (might be tight, but Edwards crowing moment)

Final
Wal's first, haven't beaten ABs since 1953, and you just know there will be a Warburton style injustice in there somewhere.....

Hang about, I come to TRF for unjustified (my opinion ;)) Welsh-hate... if I want to read musings on a potentially successful Welsh rugby side I would have Googled WOL... I will now look towards pastures new for my Wales-bashing.

I bid you good day sir!

Just for you Bushy...

It'd be very Gatland to absolutely smash it as his last hurrah in Europe and **** the bed at the world stage... Very Gatland!

Just for you Bushy...

It'd be very Gatland to absolutely smash it as his last hurrah in Europe and **** the bed at the world stage... Very Gatland!

Thanks Alf, I knew I could count on you... now Very Ireland on the other hand, during a world cup year... I think you know where I'm going...

My predictions for Japan and pool deciders to watch

Pool A Ireland Scotland - Ireland v Scotland
Pool B New Zealand South Africa - NZ v SA
Pool C England Argentina - Eng v Arg
Pool D Wales Australia - Aus v Wal, Fiji v Wal, Fiji v Aus

I really like the look of Group D with Wal Aus and Fij. I think this is the most open of all. Fiji are going to be a real threat. They could surprise Wal and/or Aus. Wales to win that group. Fiji could sneak it as runners-up.

The 'group of death' blather in pool C cracks me up. Media hype. There is no group of death. Pool is for England to lose. Tonga will fancy their chance against the imploding Brunel brigade. They did it at the 2011 RWC. The Fiji win in Paris will inspire them.

Pool B with NZ and SA is the most competitive because both are genuine ***le contenders.

Last 4 NZ SA ENG WAL
Final NZ v ?

Last edited:
Woah there lads, I know your game... can we go back under the radar please!
Little old new Zealand has no Chance. We're just this wee little country on the other side of the world. Does anyone even know where it is? Are they civilised? I don't think they even have electricity. I doubt they play rugby. Maybe a handful of people, but they wont know the rules.

Little old new Zealand has no Chance. We're just this wee little country on the other side of the world. Does anyone even know where it is? Are they civilised? I don't think they even have electricity. I doubt they play rugby. Maybe a handful of people, but they wont know the rules.
I'm with you on the rules bit anyway.

France will win !!

Its a joke we will not leave the pool, Arg and England are better

Pool A: I think Sco beat Irl for the first place
Pool B : Nz should be first and SA runner up
Pool C : Englan 1st and Pumas runner up
Poold D : Fidji can beat wales like Rwc 2007 and they can finish 2nd, but i think wales beat aussies so wales and australia for the quarter

After that i don't know ;)

England beat Australia in qf1
New Zealand beat Scotland in qf2
Wales beat Argentina in qf3
South Africa beat Ireland in qf4

New Zealand beat england in sf1
South Africa beat wales in sf2

South Africa beat new Zealand in final

Hope I'm wrong

England beat Australia in qf1
New Zealand beat Scotland in qf2
Wales beat Argentina in qf3
South Africa beat Ireland in qf4

New Zealand beat england in sf1
South Africa beat wales in sf2

South Africa beat new Zealand in final

Hope I'm wrong

While they most definitely improved, I didn't see anything from South Africa last year to suggest that they could beat Ireland (3), Wales (2) and then New Zealand (1) in consecutive weeks.

While they most definitely improved, I didn't see anything from South Africa last year to suggest that they could beat Ireland (3), Wales (2) and then New Zealand (1) in consecutive weeks.
They improved, but still had big room for improvement. My imaginings had all of their best players available and I think as soon as that doesn't happen they can suddenly be a much weaker side. So, on that assumption, their defence in particular has room for improvement which I think will come with time under the new coaching regime.

My imaginings had them beating Ireland because Ireland have been mentally weak of late and I've seen holes in Leinster defence (Leinster pretty much is ireland) that a skillful attack like the boks have could go to town on. Close game though.

My imaginings had them beating wales simply because I see the big south African boys being able to gain turnovers against Wales, thus negating their one dimension so game plan which relies on ball retention. Close game though

My imaginings saw them beat nz because I feel like nz will choke a little and slow their play down out of nerves. The culture and personalities in the Springbok team, e.g. Kolisi, faf, dyanti, I think will keep playing with excited urgency despite the pressure of a final. Their goal kickers ate better than new zealands too whcih coukd be important ina final. Close game though

They improved, but still had big room for improvement. My imaginings had all of their best players available and I think as soon as that doesn't happen they can suddenly be a much weaker side. So, on that assumption, their defence in particular has room for improvement which I think will come with time under the new coaching regime.

My imaginings had them beating Ireland because Ireland have been mentally weak of late and I've seen holes in Leinster defence (Leinster pretty much is ireland) that a skillful attack like the bike have could go to town on. Close game though.

My imaginings had them beating wales simply because I see the big south African boys being able to gain turnovers against Wales, thus negating their one dimension so game plan which relies on ball retention. Close game though

My imaginings saw them beat nz because I feel like nz will choke a little and slow their play down out of nerves. The culture and personalities in the Springbok team, e.g. Kolisi, faf, dyanti, I think will keep playing with excited urgency despite the pressure of a final. Their goal kickers ate better than new zealands too whcih coukd be important ina final. Close game though

Imagine that...

Latest posts