• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup Pool Draw - 10 May

OK, so it'll likely be:
QF1: NZ vs Scotland
QF2: England vs Wales
QF3: Australia vs France
QF4: Ireland vs SA
The big match here is Ireland vs SA. Whoever wins that will likely go through to the final.

SF1: NZ vs England
SF2: Australia vs Ireland
It seems, if all goes as expected, the 2 best teams will meet in the semis. Whoever wins SF1 will probs win the whole thing.

Final: NZ vs Ireland

Ireland? Playing a final? o_O

OK, so it'll likely be:
The big match here is Ireland vs SA. Whoever wins that will likely go through to the final.

It seems, if all goes as expected, the 2 best teams will meet in the semis. Whoever wins SF1 will probs win the whole thing.

Scotland want to avoid All Blacks, but Scotland do have chance against All Blacks, like Ireland recorded the famous win over All Blacks at Chicago.
By the way, in the case of Scotland v All Blacks, which wear 2nd jersey? Both 2nd? But Scotland's 2nd is also white--Scotland 7s 2nd is red.
Scotland's 2nd should be red/yellow, colours of the Rampant Lion.
I want to see All Blacks in white 2nd.

72242-all-blacks-2017-mens-away-jersey-740.png

OK, so it'll likely be:

Scotland want to avoid All Blacks, but Scotland do have a chance against All Blacks, like Ireland recorded the famous win over All Blacks at Chicago.
By the way, in the case of Scotland v All Blacks, which wear 2nd jersey? Both 2nd? But Scotland's 2nd is also white--Scotland 7s 2nd is red.
Scotland's 2nd should be red/yellow, colours of the Rampant Lion.
I want to see All Blacks in white 2nd.

72242-all-blacks-2017-mens-away-jersey-740.png

They've ****** up the brackets if seed 1 and 2 meet in the semifinal. Surely that can't be right.

I think France will beat Australia at the next RWC as well. They're on the improve.

Last edited:
They've ****** up the brackets if seed 1 and 2 meet in the semifinal. Surely that can't be right.

I think France will beat Australia at the next RWC as well. They're on the improve.

They weren't seeded 1,2,3 and 4. They were in equal bands of 4.

Seedings don't come into it though... It was done via the bands, so it was just pot luck.

They've really screwed that up. No way should the 2 best ranked teams meet in a semi-final after winning all their games. Rugby bodies always manage to make complete cock ups in competitions.

The only way they should have a chance of meeting before the final is if one or the other finish runners up of their group.

**** poor decision making and planning. Not surprised though.

They've really screwed that up. No way should the 2 best ranked teams meet in a semi-final after winning all their games. Rugby bodies always manage to make complete cock ups in competitions.

The only way they should have a chance of meeting before the final is if one or the other finish runners up of their group.

**** poor decision making and planning. Not surprised though.

How so?? Who can really say who is the no. 2 ranked team at the time the World Cup starts?? A lot of things can happen between now and then. For all we know, the Springboks can bounce back and win all their games between now and the WC, and get to no. 2 spot. Then the 2 top teams are together in the same pool...

I don't think there has been anything wrong in how the teams were selected and how the pools was made. There was no malice there.

I think you need to calm down

How so?? Who can really say who is the no. 2 ranked team at the time the World Cup starts?? A lot of things can happen between now and then. For all we know, the Springboks can bounce back and win all their games between now and the WC, and get to no. 2 spot. Then the 2 top teams are together in the same pool...

I don't think there has been anything wrong in how the teams were selected and how the pools was made. There was no malice there.

I think you need to calm down

You just said a bunch of if's and maybes. The information we have right now is New Zealand and England are ranked number 1 and 2.

The pool draws are done far too early and should wait until all qualifiers are completed. Then they can put first and 2nd seed on opposite sides of the draw.
No one in the world wants to see the two best teams in the world meet before the final. Unless you're supporting a team that wants to avoid those teams.

This isn't the best process or system to get the best out of the tournament.

Last edited:
You just said a bunch of if's and maybes. The information we have right now is New Zealand and England are ranked number 1 and 2.

The pool draws are done far too early and should wait until all qualifiers are completed. Then they can put first and 2nd seed on opposite sides of the draw. Like other successfully well run tournaments.

I'm pretty sure no one in the world wants to see the two best teams in the world meet before the final.

I think you need to realize this is a major event and they need to get things right. This isn't the best process or system to get the best out of the tournament.

The difference in ranking points between team ranked 2nd (England at 89.54) and 8th (Wales at 81.36) is a mere 8.18 ranking points. Before the 2016 6 Nations tournament, England was ranked at 7.97 and in 8th position. So in a year's time, England climbed whereas other teams dropped. Now who is to say that this won't happen in 2017, 2018 and 2019 until before the World Cup??

Again, calm the F down!

The difference in ranking points between team ranked 2nd (England at 89.54) and 8th (Wales at 81.36) is a mere 8.18 ranking points. Before the 2016 6 Nations tournament, England was ranked at 7.97 and in 8th position. So in a year's time, England climbed whereas other teams dropped. Now who is to say that this won't happen in 2017, 2018 and 2019 until before the World Cup??

Again, calm the F down!

There is where lies the problem. The pooling is done way too early. Why not 6 months/1 year out? If there's a logical reasoning behind this, I will gladly shut up.

I've no problem with it that's just way it shakes out, its quite common in larger more competetive tournaments (Wendbyball World Cup) that top team meet in earlier stages. In fact I lost track growing up when England actually had a decent team we'd get knocked out earlier than our ranking whilst worst teams would advance because we met better teams.

So yeah if the final in 2019 isn't between the two best teams so be it.

On kits I believe it's selected on a coin toss, England were technically the away team vs Fiji in the opening game of the last world cup......which was madness but that is how it works.

There is where lies the problem. The pooling is done way too early. Why not 6 months/1 year out? If there's a logical reasoning behind this, I will gladly shut up.
Tournament planning....its mainly so visiting fans can start planning their trips to Japan.

Logistics.

It has been this way since the modern era of rugby.

They have to start selling tickets for the event, and by doing this now. They can make determinations as to which match will be played at which stadium to draw as big a crowd as possible.

I think the way the draw has come out, there is a lot of pool matches that will draw sold-out crowds. Each pool has big match-ups and even the underdogs will get a sniff to topple a big team, like what happened at the 2015 World Cup.

Travel Agencies have to start getting travel packages ready, hotels and lodges will need to prepare. Providing the host nation with sufficient time to make the necessary preparations, will cause the tournament to run smoothly and ensure the maximum financial reward possible.

Seems pretty logical to me.

Alright, it's not as bad as I originally thought. I was just surprised to see that the two current top ranked teams are likely to meet in the semi-final and I'm disappointed that a New Zealand vs England final unlikely. I thought it would be potentially one of the greatest fixtures/finals ever and now it's likely to just be a semi-final.

Disappointed. Things might not go all to plan though, so we'll see.

Alright, it's not as bad as I originally thought. I was just surprised to see that the two current top ranked teams are likely to meet in the semi-final and I'm disappointed that a New Zealand vs England final unlikely. I thought it would be potentially one of the greatest fixtures/finals ever and now it's likely to just be a semi-final.

Disappointed. Things might not go all to plan though, so we'll see.

So you're not looking forward to the first ever pool showdown between the All Blacks and their biggest rivals??

Hmmm, seems like there is just no pleasing you...

Latest posts