• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Running angles

• Thread starter Canadian_Rugby_Guy
  • Start date
C

Canadian_Rugby_Guy

Ok well I've been playing rugby for a few years now and I've long been wondering about what kind of different running angles you can take depending on your position. I've tried to notice this by watching all sorts of rugby, but I can't say I really notice a difference between a centre a flanker and a winger angle for example, all I know really is that you're to try to accelerate into a gap in a straight line. So help and examples and video clips of all of this would be much appreciated.

I think it's often about the angle you come from, rather than necessarily the angle you hit the line at.

Take this try from Ben Cohen: Cohen try

He comes from a wide angle to take the ball tight from Wilkinson at the last minute. The defenders have been drawn out, and he beats them by cutting back on their inside.

Another example of this comes through Scott Gibbs try against England in '99: Gibbs try

Again, he comes late from wide to tight, leaving the defense no time to adjust. This technique works well, but only when timed as late as possible. Too early, and the pass is telegraphed for the defenders.

On the other hand, if you have the raw acceleration of Matt Giteau, you can ghost around defenders like this: Giteau

It seems to me from those three clips the fly half always cuts a diagonal in more towards his own line than if he was running straight on to the defense, this way it makes it easier to run the various moves, skips, scissors, dummies etc.

So is it more a question of where your athletic talents lie rather than your position? because I've found myself doing both of those sort of by instinct. I still don't really see much of a difference from the point of view of position specific.

So is it more a question of where your athletic talents lie rather than your position? because I've found myself doing both of those sort of by instinct. I still don't really see much of a difference from the point of view of position specific.
[/b]

In theory a flanker and winger should be looking to hit the same angles if they are looking to break the line.

In reality though, a winger will be hitting the ball at more pace and so does not need to be quite so precise with the angle (assuming we aren't talking world class defense). A flanker will need to time his run prefectly and rely on strength to break the line.

Mate, the two basic running angles for any rugby player on the field is an Unders line and an overs line. An unders line is where you start face on with your opposing defender then cut back in towards the ball player. An overs line is when you start face on with your opposing defender then cut outwards away from the ball player. The unders line is the best option unless you have blinding pace to get on the outside if somebody, because an unders line is used to isolate one defender. Meaning the ball carrier will run to the inside shoulder of his opposing defender, you will hold your oposing defender just lond enough before you cut in towards the outside shoulder of the ball players opposing defender and that is how the hole is formed. Thw wider you stand will make your opposing defender pull wider to mark you, which leaves a larger hole, but needs greater accelleration and communication with the ball player to go through it.

it shouldn't make a difference what position you play as to what angles you run.
As a general thing i find that if your attacking line is drifting, then you need to hit the ball running straight, and if the line is straight then hit the ball on a diagonal or curved run.
always run at gaps, or if you have real pace and a good step, run at a man and step him.

run on angles that are going to throw ur marker off balance. and run at weak shoulders

Latest posts