• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Russian rugby

1 At this point in Russian rugby in popularity among sports game is in the top 10. Some games are collected from a few thouthand (tipically few houndreds), but almost no matches are showen on TV. In general, Russia, few people know what rugby is often confused with American football (because of Hollywood) - had some very funny stories about rugby in regional media, where stupied journalists speaking about rugby were mixed rugby and amerfoot terms.
2 In the Russian professional sports are not arranged as in the west.We almost are not 100% private clubs even in popular football and hockey. Tipically, city or region from budget or sponsors allocates money for a professional sports. In most rugby clubs get money from city and regional budgets. For example, Krasny Yar gets about 2.5 ml euro from budget of Krasnoyarsk + another 2 ml euro from local sponsors. Enisey-STM is also about 2.5 ml euro from budget of Krasnoyarsk Krai (region in Centarl Siberia) and another 2.5 ml euro from sponsors. But other clubs much poorer.
3 League quite uneven in power. Compared to the European leagues, Russian Professional Rugby League is one ligne with Italian Exelenza and Romanian Super League. Howard Tomas called her at the moment of the strongest in Europe outside 6 Nations countries. Judjing by the results, in resent years, our clubs are constantly played up the leaders of the Romanian SL. Bup the Italian as much as 4 places in the Amlin Cup, Romanians 1 place, and even Spaniards, whose league is much weaker 1 place.

Very interesting. So these professional teams are funded by local government? This must be a product/mindset/cultural thing of the former Soviet Union? It must be cheap to go to these games then, if it is paid by the tax payer.

The Romanian Super League is also professional isn't it? Does it get paid for in the same way? Does it had bigger crowds? I agree that there should be Russian and Georgian teams in the Amlin but obviously the winter and costs of flying are the biggest problems.
Also, anymore news of the Black Sea competition?

What is the chance of Russian Rugby growing in popularity? I can only imagine the Olympics will be a huge help?

Last edited:
Yes, almost all professional clubs in Russia in varying degrees are funded by taxpayers, as well as sponsors. But you need to understand the differences between Russia and the West. Previously, all the factories .. belonged to all the people, but in the 90s some rogues virtually free privatized 90% of the property and reap huge profits without investing anything. Therefore, investments in sports and other social projects - this is the minimum that they return the people for the stolen property.
In Romania, also a professional league, but I do not know how it formed the club's budget.
As for the climate and distance this is not a problem: we can like Romanians to play the first 3 games in the Amlin Cap at home and then 3 on away. Why it is difficult for the club level Stade Francais or Sale Sharks fly once every few years (if you fall into the same group) to Krasnoyarsk? Krasnoyarsk clubs every year fly to New Zealand, Ireland ... a lot of flying in Russia (tens of thousands km a year), but if you look at the Super-15, then there is even more ...
Yes, our officials want to create this Black Sea Cup and spend next summer and winners will be in the Amlin Cup.
No, olympics, on the contrary brings only harm. Now the Russian national rugby-7 has priority over the main 15 team. For example, the Nations Cup is not called start 12 players (half left for Lyon Sevens and foreign players do not cause to not pay tickets and pay insurance for them). Rus Rugby Union most of their money invested in the rugby-7, but 15 rugby with the flow, if it were not for the professional clubs, we would long ago have fallen below the 30 seats in the IRB ...
That rugby has become more popular, but need normal managers in RRU, and the potential is huge, especially at the expense of the football fans who is tired of scandals, corruption ... if he is to show and tell about the culture of rugby, then many will be rooting for the rugby, like in 30th when rugby is in the top 3 game sport in popularity after football and Russian hockey.

Yes, almost all professional clubs in Russia in varying degrees are funded by taxpayers, as well as sponsors. But you need to understand the differences between Russia and the West. Previously, all the factories .. belonged to all the people, but in the 90s some rogues virtually free privatized 90% of the property and reap huge profits without investing anything. Therefore, investments in sports and other social projects - this is the minimum that they return the people for the stolen property.
In Romania, also a professional league, but I do not know how it formed the club's budget.
As for the climate and distance this is not a problem: we can like Romanians to play the first 3 games in the Amlin Cap at home and then 3 on away. Why it is difficult for the club level Stade Francais or Sale Sharks fly once every few years (if you fall into the same group) to Krasnoyarsk? Krasnoyarsk clubs every year fly to New Zealand, Ireland ... a lot of flying in Russia (tens of thousands km a year), but if you look at the Super-15, then there is even more ...
Yes, our officials want to create this Black Sea Cup and spend next summer and winners will be in the Amlin Cup.
No, olympics, on the contrary brings only harm. Now the Russian national rugby-7 has priority over the main 15 team. For example, the Nations Cup is not called start 12 players (half left for Lyon Sevens and foreign players do not cause to not pay tickets and pay insurance for them). Rus Rugby Union most of their money invested in the rugby-7, but 15 rugby with the flow, if it were not for the professional clubs, we would long ago have fallen below the 30 seats in the IRB ...
That rugby has become more popular, but need normal managers in RRU, and the potential is huge, especially at the expense of the football fans who is tired of scandals, corruption ... if he is to show and tell about the culture of rugby, then many will be rooting for the rugby, like in 30th when rugby is in the top 3 game sport in popularity after football and Russian hockey.

Point well taken. Looking at it that way, perhaps there is no reason why Russia shouldn't involved more. I would love to see Ulster play out in Russia, as long as the support is there. What is the latest news of Russian and Georgian involvement in the Amlin Cup?

Can you add any more details about the Black Sea Cup?

Point well taken. Looking at it that way, perhaps there is no reason why Russia shouldn't involved more. I would love to see Ulster play out in Russia, as long as the support is there. What is the latest news of Russian and Georgian involvement in the Amlin Cup?

Can you add any more details about the Black Sea Cup?

To participate in the Amlin Cup until nothing is heard, I think that Rus Union (Kopiev) does not even work in this direction (they all thought of rugby-7...), even though I told them, you meet with IRB officials almost every week, discuss issues World Cup Sevens, because talk about the development of rugby-15 in Russia? With regard to Georgia, I do not know, but they have the opposite situation: a very strong Geo Union (Nizharadze), which concentrates about 90% of all rugby money and solves all the issues and poor clubs.
New tournament called the East European Cup. Are expected to participate at the 2 best club from Russia, Romania, Georgia and Little Russia. Home\away games, the timing of July\August 2014. The winner gets to play in the Amlin Cup. While this is only an idea that promotes Kopiev. Now he is looking sponsor in Russia. Honestly I have this idea does not cause positive emotions, I know who Kopiev, I see his attitude to the Russian national rugby-15 team and I know what kind of political and economic reasons for people like him may be from this tournament .... Would be better if we just got one or two straight place to the Amlin Cup and kept our league in full.

Denis Simplikevich: "I want to play in Europe's top league!"

"I want to try myself in a foreign league, preferably in the Premiership or Top 14. After the World Cup 2011 I have received offers from various clubs, but by the end of the season (2013) I was under contract with the "Enisey-STM". In this club I are satisfied, and in Russian League I will play only for him, but if I am leave, it is only in a stronger league."
http://www.redyarsk.ru/articles/detail.php?id=4933

I like Ostroushko, I think he's the best Russian player and he should go to a Western club. Artemyev and Simplikevich are vastly over-rated, but Ostroushko and Gresev have impressed me every time I've seen them play.

Including foreign players?
Perhaps, but the details are not yet known. If there is a division of the players on the club, then click "east" players will get the Enisey, KY and Kuznya, the result is obvious in their favor. I think you have to place of birth (the West - the European part, East - the Asian part + Oceania). Then some of the players of the Enisey and KY will play for the West team and will be approximately equal.

It's noted that the Russians don't like rugby. The RWC Sevens is in your country and they don't go to the stadium!!!

Regards

It's noted that the Russians don't like rugby. The RWC Sevens is in your country and they don't go to the stadium!!!

Regards

Look how much go to watch their XV's side play ...

I hope the IRB aren't totally put off giving tournaments to new countries as I think USA could host a really good 7's tournament, Japan probably could have as well. Russia has the lowest crowds from all of the RWC nations (including Namibia) so it was silly to give it to them (no doubt the hosting fee was what got it them). Hopefully Japan 2019 goes better.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, I don't think the IRB should focus on Russia as a market to grow the sport anymore. Nobody watches their XV's team, noboby comes to the RWC Sevens. They should focus on Canada, USA and Japan instead, as well as some other European countries like Spain and Portugal.

With all due respect, I don't think the IRB should focus on Russia as a market to grow the sport anymore. Nobody watches their XV's team, noboby comes to the RWC Sevens. They should focus on Canada, USA and Japan instead, as well as some other European countries like Spain and Portugal.

Completely agree, I think the places with the most potential for growth are USA, Canada, Japan, Spain, Portugal. I would even think countries like Belgium and Germany are good places to grow the game as they all are fairly close to traditional rugby powers.

Yes, the Russian fans do not like rugby-7, because our stupid RUR send all the money back (into the wind) and takes players from rugby-15. We want that our nat team of rugby-15 played in normal climatic conditions in our cities, but not in the winter in Sochi from thousands of killometrov. Not remember in Krasnoyarsk 10-15 years ago Russia collected from 10 to 20 thouthand. The fact that Kopiev and ko (RUR) to asshole - it will tell you every fan in Russia.
Here you have one of the facts of Kopiev. At this Cup they $ 1 million to some singer from France. For this sum they could rent Lokomotiv Stadium in Moscow 10 times on Russian Team. Or, for example, to show the Russian Team on federal TV with 10 HD cameras 50 times. Now understand that Russian fans not needs a parody of rugby. We need only rugby-15, not castrated copy.

Perhaps, but the details are not yet known. If there is a division of the players on the club, then click "east" players will get the Enisey, KY and Kuznya, the result is obvious in their favor. I think you have to place of birth (the West - the European part, East - the Asian part + Oceania). Then some of the players of the Enisey and KY will play for the West team and will be approximately equal.
What is the average height of russian males?

I think about 180 is average, it's like other white people.
lol

The reason for All Black dominance... violence... no other team except the Springboks have set out to physically intimidate New Zealand. The French have been able to occasionally and the Australians try, but all other teams tacitly admit physical defeat before the match starts.

Latest posts