• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2023 in Argentina, what do you think?

justanargie

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
It's a Pichot interview, traduced with the google traductor :D (I'm at work guys...).

With the confirmation of the Four Nations, Pichot now goes by a World Cup

Accustomed to the great challenges, former Pumas captain andleader of the UAR today that Argentina proposed to host the World Cup in twelve years, confident and optimistic: "It is impossible, I have wanted to get into another dance "

WELLINGTON, New Zealand .- A very important stage in your life comes to an end. After much coming and going, infinite number of kilometers traveled, Argentina finally participate next year in an annual international competition, more precisely from the Four Nations, which from 2012 will be called Rugby Championship. Who else was fought to make this happen. But it stays with that triumph.He is restless. He does not want to lose the momentum achieved and going for more, going for the jackpot. Agustin Pichot, it is, wants to see a Rugby World Cup in Argentina. Dream? Chimera ¿? His personal history is synonymous with perseverance. It is a minor detail. That will, from now on, your new goal. In all speak Pichot, that beyond its role as a member of the Subcommittee on High Performance UAR is one of the men whose word carries more weight in decisions.

- Argentina has secured participation in the Tri-Nations?

-Was much speculation about the subject. He spoke [the owner of the IRB, Bernard] Lapasset, told [the IRB CEO Mike] Miller, but no one spoke of Sanza, strategic and economic union that includes New Zealand, South Africa and Australia. The owners of the championship are the members of SANZAR would be a mistake to announce protocol before.

- What is necessary then to announce it?

-Nothing is missing, the contract is signed. The theme is announced at the right time. The idea was to do before the World Cup, but was delayed by a pending between SANZAR and the IRB.

- Why Lapasset said the Pumas had to do a good World Cup to enter the tournament?

Bernard would not say that. He did not know what was going on.Thus the relaxation of now [for the win against Scotland], because a point or a point should not change unless the job, but we have a country that changes everything. If Argentina had lost, we would be talking about the Plar [National High Performance Plan] is a failure, we can not play the Four Nations.

- Do you think that bad?

Yes, big deal. When you do, you are exposed to a lot of things. In Argentina seems to be easier to destroy than support. And when there, someone criticizes in good faith, wrapped in the perception of these ghosts. It's like one needs the support of the results and leaders stepping forward, if the machine does not seem to prevent kills you, it's crazy.

'But then, although not official, is there doubt that the Pumas will participate in the Rugby Championship?

'I have no doubt that in August the plays Argentina Rugby Championship. It is appropriate for people who make it official. But there can be surprises.

- How do you feel now that everything seems to end as projected?

-I would have loved to play a Four Nations, but I did everything possible for you to have another. For Nico Vergallo, or Landajo Cubelli have it. I was part of building something for those who come. If someone had done before would have played, and that gives me anger. That has not been before came out to fight people to respect us. In the past four years we had the worst fixture of history and that can not happen again. We played 22 games when everyone is double, and so reach the World Cup. It's not fair.

And, when you are finished, what next for the leader?

He finished the challenge. I get long-term challenges. The challenge of putting rugby in the Olympics, which was part and led, among others, Lapasset, and also Buenos Aires as the headquarters of the IOC Assembly in 2013, and most importantly, have transformed the UAR in a structure logic to enter the Championship Rugby and all that influences it. Was 70 percent of my life. But you can not entrench in power and be all the time taking such vital decisions. If there is another challenge, if 2015-franchise contract renewal with the four nations in which I have to work, if in making the 2023 World is in Argentina, which I love and this week is going to to raise.

- How is that?

'I'm going to raise this week. We will discuss that Argentina is based in 2023. We are able to do a good World Cup. We have very good stadiums. We are studying two variants: with Uruguay and Chile, or Brazil. First you have to assemble it.

- Do not you think it's impossible?

'It's not impossible. I have wanted to get into another dance. But if not that, I feel that I can go alone. If the rugby needs me I'll be, but not as far.

I'd love to see it in Argentina - 2023 would be a good time as well because there'd've been 2 Olympics with 7s in so globally rugby will be more well known - especially in the Americas (I know South American countries e.g Brazil, are pushing Rugby a lot ahead of the Olympics)

I don't want to be a picker, but I remember the time zones to be very inaccessible. I still remember the football world cup of 1994, I was a kid then but the hours were terrible.

Other than that, I see no reason why Argentina shouldn't be granted the hosting. Japan does it in 2019...

Last edited:
I don't want to be a picker, but I remember the time zones to be very inaccessible. I still remember the football world cup of 1994, I was a kid then but the hours were terrible.

Other than that, I see no reason why Argentina shouldn't be granted the hosting. Japan does it in 2019...

You have chosen the worst example for us for the time zone theory... jaja

We have been waking up 4:30 am these days to see the pumas... it's a wc, come on... Half the globe will always be harmed with the time...

You have chosen the worst example for us for the time zone theory... jaja

We have been waking up 4:30 am these days to see the pumas... it's a wc, come on... Half the globe will always be harmed with the time...
Took the words out of my mouth! :D

When the WC is in England in 2015, when there's a 7pm kickoff that's going to 5am in Melbourne, not exactly ideal for the Australia fans! - It's just the nature of time zones!

IMO, Argentina are better qualified to host a RWC than Japan.

There is absolutely no doubt in the current 20 team format, that Japan will become the first host nation to fail to qualify for the playoffs. Anyone who thinks we will see a repeat of what happened at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where co-hosts Japan qualified for the round of 16 is living in la-la land.

They also have a lot of work to do with their stadium playing surfaces. Having makeshift "readylawn" dropped onto a running track in the corners of the in-goals like they did for the 2009 Bledisloe match is just not good enough.

Argentina I think is about four or five hours behind

so an 3pm kickoff there would be 8pm in the UK, so for their evening matches it would be 1am or 2am

to be honest it's easier to stay up to watch than get up really early to watch though

I assume there are lots of large football/rugby stadiums already, would help with the cost f you didn't have to build too much....south america is on my list...not sure i can wait until 2023 thought!....can we move 2015?

with the time thing, we are haing to push back kick off to 9pm to make it easier for europe, if in Argentina why not make 5 or 6pm to make it slightly better time, even afternoon games! 2:35 kckoff so goo time for europe/RSA and morning games for aussie and us...sorted

Last edited:
I assume there are lots of large football/rugby stadiums already, would help with the cost f you didn't have to build too much....south america is on my list...not sure i can wait until 2023 thought!....can we move 2015?

with the time thing, we are haing to push back kick off to 9pm to make it easier for europe, if in Argentina why not make 5 or 6pm to make it slightly better time, even afternoon games! 2:35 kckoff so goo time for europe/RSA and morning games for aussie and us...sorted

We have the football structure, maybe invest some money to turn them more modern.

Great to see the idea of Argentina 2023 growing!

I´d like to take the opportunity to open up here for suggestions. If anyone can offer anything to add to the site do so!

I am also going to need help in running it as I need to put up more stuff. I´m looking for people to produce material on any country from the Americas region. It could be a weekly thing for instance.

Timezones are actually highly positive in Argentina and nowhere else isn as good.

See it here: http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/07/argentina-2023-would-offer-great-time.html

Stadiums are strong and Argentina can host alone.

See it here: http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/05/argentina-can-host-rugby-world-cup.html

Psychic Duck - I love your signature! Not only the part from the blog but the follow up. It mirrors my opinion.

Ala: http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/06/argentina-2023-make-statement.html

So North and South America both could do with hosting the tournament. Can they host consecutive events or do we need a European or South African cup in between?

No.

Come visit us. We're lovely.

Like, I can understand wanting to visit Argentina, eat a shitload of steak, stare at the pretty girls and so on. I would be all over that myself. But we're still lovely. You'll love it.

There is absolutely no doubt in the current 20 team format, that Japan will become the first host nation to fail to qualify for the playoffs. Anyone who thinks we will see a repeat of what happened at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where co-hosts Japan qualified for the round of 16 is living in la-la land.

Completely Agree with you Smarty.. Under the currect cut of 20 teams to the 8 quarter finalists.. Japan will NOT qualify..

However.. There is a way to get past this.. Either increase the Teams to 24. Have 6 pools with 4 teams each. From the pool rounds.... The top 2 from each pool (12 teams) AND the next best top '4' 3rd placed pool teams qualify to a TOP 16 playoff spot. I think If we added 4 more teams to the RWC.. Japan could have a chance to qualify to a top 16 spot. Also it gives more award for teams to say 'we reached the playoffs'.

OR we could keep the 20 teams with the 4 pools, 5 teams format again (Which i hate TBH since it will always cause fixture imbalances).. BUT this time.. the top 4 teams from each pool qualify for the top 16 playoffs.. With the points of each team deciding which team plays who.. E.g. NZ was top Pool leader out of ALL the pools with 20 points. Fiji was 16th overall with 5 points.. So NZ will play Fiji in the top 16 playoff.

Anyways.. Just ways of increasing interest.

Back on topic.. TBH, would rather the 2023 RWC went back to Africa... With the 2027 RWC either in Italy or Argentina.

No.

Come visit us. We're lovely.

Like, I can understand wanting to visit Argentina, eat a shitload of steak, stare at the pretty girls and so on. I would be all over that myself. But we're still lovely. You'll love it.

I've just moved back to nz after four years in the uk...south america sounds better ;)

But if you factored in a truckload of imports?

Personally I don't think they will qualify, and it will be interesting to see if the IRB does the same thing that FIFA did last year and use the Japan (Bafana Bafana) as one of the first seeds/ pots when doing the draw.

a world cup in Argentina sounds good to me ... it's just down the road a bit :D

I would like to see a world cup in Argentina. I think that people should be able to get past the time zones for the world cup. I guess it would turn the IRB away though. Argentina must have plenty of good stadiums and a world cup could really give the game the boost it needs over there.

Latest posts