• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Argentina - England (10-09-2011, 20:30)

This makes me very suspicious. I understand the importance of training, but surely coaches realise that the actual selection of players has to be be based on match form?
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Irish rugby supporter

Can't wait for this game it has Passion written all over it , Argies shouldn't be underestimated as the last world cup showed hopefully a 24-9 victory for England

does sb know when the english side will be announced ?

1.30am British time tomorrow (or tonight, depending which way you look at it)

Just one and a half day of normal life left, then it's Rugby time.

I'm getting really excited about this game.... I've even managed to secure myself an Argentina jersey for the match (although it is a football jersey ;) ). The stadium look like it is going to be close being packed, so there should be some great atmosphere inside the stadium (especially when the English start singing). I can't seem to focus on work today... all I want to do is start watching rugby!

You're going to the game? Hopefully you'll be supporting the losing team then :p.

You're going to the game? Hopefully you'll be supporting the losing team then :p.

Yep I'm going - counting down the hours already (only 56 hours to go now...). I think I probably will be supporting the losing team (though I really hope for an upset), but that's the point really - I'm certainly not going there and supporting the favourites! I will definately be supporting Georgia and Romania in their matches vs England too (and supporting Italy in their match vs Ireland).

England (15-1): Ben Foden; Chris Ashton, Manu Tuilagi, Mike Tindall (capt), Delon Armitage; Jonny Wilkinson, Richard Wigglesworth; Nick Easter, James Haskell, Tom Croft; Courtney Lawes, Louis Deacon; Dan Cole, Steve Thompson, Andrew Sheridan.
Res: Dylan Hartley, Matt Stevens, Tom Palmer, Tom Wood, Ben Youngs, Toby Flood, Matt Banahan.

This is according to Foxsports.com.au. Pretty interesting selections.

Apparently Cueto's still got a bit of an injury so they decided not to risk him in this one and put Armitage on the wing instead. Cueto's been in full training all week just isn't 100% from what the BBC Sport article says. Could turn out to be a good thing anyway, Armitage is a pretty handy attacker - will need to go looking for work though. Interesting that they've picked Wigglesworth over Youngs anyway and is Haskell really a no.7? Doesn't really look like that balanced a back row...will be an interesting battle between them and the Argentine back row anyway!

I'm a huge fan of Armitage so I hope he goes well and makes a serious claim for the jersey. I'm just happy they didn't give the starting spot to Banahan.

I don't think Martin Johnson wants to completely rush Ben Youngs into a game, especially one as physical as an encounter with the Argentines. Would imagine he'd only get thrown on if the game was relatively tight or if the game was a blow out and he just wanted to give Youngs a bit of match fitness.

Crofts inclusion shows that a name is still far important to England then form. The balance of the back row is pretty horrible.

Only real surprise there is Palmer on the bench with Deacon starting?
I would've thought that Lawes would be benched if Deacon was starting

Haskell played 7 all through the Six Nations and did all right with it - he's as much of a 7 as Moody is (read: not at all) so I don't think it really affects the make up of the side

I've no qualms with Croft starting - if we're dropping players when they have an average game then we'd have a pretty empty side most of the year round

I'm jealous, Darwin :lol:
Do you know if many locals are going? I imagine that there will be a similar amount of local as traveling fans at the games?
Will they mostly support Argentina, do you reckon? It'd be so easy to support England though, considering they'll be wearing all black for this match :p

I'm suprised to not see Palmer not a fan of Deacon, but thats really the only thing. Expecting Wood to come on after 50-60 along with Stevens/Hartley and Youngs a bit later on, Flood will come on the instance the match is won and take Jonny off. Banahan will not enter the field (one can always hope :p), play him vs Romania/Georgia I wouldn't risk Ashton for those matches to be honest.

Sad thing is, he'll probably start against Romania, get a try, and then Johnson will think "oooooooh, he got a try! Start him at 12, 13, 11 and 14 all at once!"

Deacon over Palmer was on the cards. Its a bad decision imo, but not a surprising one.

Youngs isn't fully fit yet.

Croft and Haskell will probably play as 6.5s really, its no less balanced than the average English backrow as Oly points out.

I'm jealous, Darwin :lol: Do you know if many locals are going? I imagine that there will be a similar amount of local as traveling fans at the games? Will they mostly support Argentina, do you reckon? It'd be so easy to support England though, considering they'll be wearing all black for this match :p
It sounds like there should be a high percentage of locals going - at a guess I'd say at least 50% of the crowd will be locals rather than travelling fans (especially in the cheap seats...). I'd say the vast majority of locals will be supporting Argentina (or, perhaps more accurately, not supporting England ;) ).

Sad thing is, he'll probably start against Romania, get a try, and then Johnson will think "oooooooh, he got a try! Start him at 12, 13, 11 and 14 all at once!"

If he gets 2-3 theres no need for Flood or Wilko?

England: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Mike Tindall (c), 11 Delon Armitage, 10 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Richard Wigglesworth, 1 Andrew Sheridan, 2 Steve Thompson, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Louis Deacon, 5 Courtney Lawes, 6 Tom Croft, 7 James Haskell, 8 Nick Easter.
Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 Matt Stevens, 18 Tom Palmer, 19 Tom Wood, 20 Ben Youngs, 21 Toby Flood, 22 Matt Banahan.

Latest posts