• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Argentina - England (10-09-2011, 20:30)

Well, I've been ignoring all the people who said the team vs. Ireland was roughly Johnson's 1st XV. Seems I was wrong.

Deacon ahead of Palmer... hmm... yet another time that the Tigers man is unexplicably in the starting lineup (remember 6N 2010? delaying the start of Lawes' international career?)

Back row... unbalanced, as usual. Journeyman South Africans aside, I'm struggling to think who was the last openside to wear the 7 shirt for England? Tom Rees? And he hasn't played since Wasps used to be good... Even Tom Wood got forced into blindside.

Haskell's earnt the number 8 shirt, and has been England's best player in 2011 so has to start either 8 or 6 anyway. Croft may not be on top of his game, but he is a world class 6 normally so he has to start there. Leaving the 7 shirt for an openside, ie. Wood.

I can understand the Youngs decision, since he won't be match fit. Let's hope Joe Simpson gets some game time against Georgia and Romania, because I'd really feel for him if he was forced into a debut with 20 minutes to go of a QF and everyone else injured..

Don't mind about Armitage starting over Cueto at all.

Aout, you need to pull your head out of Wilko's arse.

But your point is based on a fallacy. THIS backrow didnt play once during the 6 nations. Tom Wood played, an acknowledged groundhog that offered some balance. Before that Moody would do the job.

My comment was based on the current selection of a prop to play 8, an 8 to play at 7 and a 4 to play at 6.

I'm not saying any of them are poor players, I just believe that a modern backrow has to have a balance. Some NH teams play a 6 at 7 up here, but when they do that the 8 would do a job at the breakdown instead (Heaslip is the lightest forward in the Irish pack, he does it for Ireland). This England backrow doesnt have anything close to that balance.

If you think Wood is an acknowledged groundhog, then fair enough. Myself, I don't.

Me, I think Wood is a nigh full-on clone of Croft, save losing an inch at the lineout and a bit of gas. Yes he plays 7 for Saints, but he played 6 all of his career for Wuss before he moved there. I don't believe there's any difference in the groundhog abilities of Croft and Wood. I think the balance is virtually identical to the Six Nations.

I do have worries about this back-row, and its clearly not the best balanced, but think it should be at least capable of replicating what the 6N back row did.

edit: GG, last out and out openside to play 7 for England before Fourie was Steflon.

If you think Wood is an acknowledged groundhog, then fair enough. Myself, I don't.

Me, I think Wood is a nigh full-on clone of Croft, save losing an inch at the lineout and a bit of gas. Yes he plays 7 for Saints, but he played 6 all of his career for Wuss before he moved there. I don't believe there's any difference in the groundhog abilities of Croft and Wood. I think the balance is virtually identical to the Six Nations.

I do have worries about this back-row, and its clearly not the best balanced, but think it should be at least capable of replicating what the 6N back row did.

edit: GG, last out and out openside to play 7 for England before Fourie was Steflon.

Steffon's not an openside either. He's a hooker who doesn't throw in or scrummage.

Come on Pumas ... It will be a tough game no doubt, but we have a lot of guts, grit, heart and honor to play the game and we shall prove it in the field next saturday... On RWC France/2007 nobody expected that the locals could loose against us and we did it!! then we can only hope that our players leave the heart in the field for this shirt and for a hole country that encourages them!<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> translate(); </SCRIPT> <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> translate(); </SCRIPT> Go Pumas!!!!!!

I do have worries about this back-row, and its clearly not the best balanced, but think it should be at least capable of replicating what the 6N back row did
Nahhh thats fair enough.

I do think Wood is a little over rated (or to be proven), but i'm surprised you think Croft is in anyway as effective at the breakdown as Wood is.

They could as a unit be nearly as effective as the English backrow has been in the past 6 nations, but I dont think that'll be enough.

Can't say I like the balance of England's loose-forward trio, but I don't think Argentina have the loose-forward trio to exploit this. Can't say I'm overly familiar with Argentina's loose forwards, but I didn't think either Leguizamon or Cabello were genuine opensides? Anyways... just heard that the stadium is all but now sold out (only 200 tickets left..). Less than 36 hours to go now :)

My final night of normal sleep, well normal already very excited about whats to come! England to win by 7+. RWC wish I was there in NZ...

Weather in Dunedin: Rain and 10deg high
Weather in London: Rain and 13deg
Weather in Buenos Aires: Sunshine and 20deg

I think England have the climate advantage :p

Well , lots of argentina team members play in Europe , so it is the same as england players.
And , today is sunny nad 20 , but the last 3 months were under 10deg and rainy....so the players that perform in argentina were under hard weather conditios.....

regards , martin

Excitement seems to be building up around the city for this match. Not long after the AB's match finished last night all the talk switched to the Argentina v England match; for Dunedin people this is our RWC final! The weather today is a bit disappointing - it has been beautiful and sunny all week, but today it's all overcast, but at least it's not too cold (around 12 degrees). Obviuosly the weather won't affect he match in a covered stadium, but we don't want the visiting tourists to think that Dunedin is cold ;)

Just over 9 hours to go now till kick-off.......

EDIT: Clouds are now gone.... another typically sunny Dunedin day :)

Last edited:
thanks olyy.. I hope England wins this one... much more room for optimism after Romania game

Argentina for the win. Argentina and Romania/Georgia to advance please!

Will dip in and out of the thread - the WiFi card on my laptop is playing up and just loses connection, for 10mins or so at a time, at random

I will be Tweeting on the game... so will follow both thread and Twitter...

Well, that's a cracking stadium that they have in Otago! Wonder if the local NZers will get behind England in their 'All Black' kits...
Also apparently more Puma fans there than English!

Latest posts