• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Semi Final: France - Wales (15-08-2011, 21:00)

Not sure what I can say apart from I am gutted.
Lads played their hearts out all World Cup and I am incredibly proud of their effort. The best is yet to come, I honestly feel. One moment of madness from Sam all tournament and it was that, very hard on the young man and I feel for him. A class player and still the best choice for captain.

The card was harsh, but the more I read over the laws and IRB recommendations I think it was the right call. What I do have a problem with is this being applied with varying frequency. All or nothing, no middle ground please.

So much for having two great backup standoffs, Hook and Jones both looked clueless. Hook liked kicking away ball and Jones once again showed that he cannot kick dropgoals. I think that we can really see how good Priestland is.

Faletau and Halfpenny were simply outstanding. Two great young players with very bright futures. We haven't found fullback cover, we have found a fullback. Now we just need a right wing.

Congratulations to France, I think we will have the same final contenders as 24 years ago (and hopefully same Bronze winners...) There is one game left before we go home, lets leave on a win, move on, and focus on next year.

Just because I want to, team for Third Place playoff.

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Huw Bennett
03 Craig Mitchell (unless Adam is fit)
04 Alun Wyn Jones
05 Luke Charteris
06 Dan Lydiate
07 Toby Faletau
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 Any news on Priestland? I'd rather avoid Hook/Jones
11 Shane Williams
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Scott Williams
14 George North
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Ken Owens
17 Paul James
18 Bradley Davies
19 Andy Powell
20 Lloyd Williams
21 Hook/Jones, dunno really
22 Jonathan Davies

Not sure what I can say apart from I am gutted.
Lads played their hearts out all World Cup and I am incredibly proud of their effort. The best is yet to come, I honestly feel. One moment of madness from Sam all tournament and it was that, very hard on the young man and I feel for him. A class player and still the best choice for captain.

The card was harsh, but the more I read over the laws and IRB recommendations I think it was the right call. What I do have a problem with is this being applied with varying frequency. All or nothing, no middle ground please.

So much for having two great backup standoffs, Hook and Jones both looked clueless. Hook liked kicking away ball and Jones once again showed that he cannot kick dropgoals. I think that we can really see how good Priestland is.

Faletau and Halfpenny were simply outstanding. Two great young players with very bright futures. We haven't found fullback cover, we have found a fullback. Now we just need a right wing.

Congratulations to France, I think we will have the same final contenders as 24 years ago (and hopefully same Bronze winners...) There is one game left before we go home, lets leave on a win, move on, and focus on next year.

Just because I want to, team for Third Place playoff.

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Huw Bennett
03 Craig Mitchell (unless Adam is fit)
04 Alun Wyn Jones
05 Luke Charteris
06 Dan Lydiate
07 Toby Faletau
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 Any news on Priestland? I'd rather avoid Hook/Jones
11 Shane Williams
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Scott Williams
14 George North
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Ken Owens
17 Paul James
18 Bradley Davies
19 Andy Powell
20 Lloyd Williams
21 Hook/Jones, dunno really
22 Jonathan Davies
That would be a perfect way to end the thread. Not gonna happen!

I agree at the end of the day Sam did get on the wrong side of the law with that tackle.

My main question is that the IRB law book states that punishment starts at red and work backwards from there. That indicates to me that it is optional depending on the specific incident?

Of all the times to enforce the law to the full it had to be in a game of this importance.

And the match against the english, was it so bad display from France ? I think you just can't support France, NH or not ...

And I think Wales would be smashed up badly by ABs. France has much more chances to disturb the AB game...
England-France was appalling from both teams. Neither really deserved to get to the final. And don't paint me out to be anti-French, I have nothing against the French and actually I've been told that I'm in some way part-French myself. I just think Wales deserve to be there (or at least Ireland) on the basis that they've shown so much more. I rate Wales as the second best team in the world at the minute, with SA a very close third. I thought Wales was the NH's biggest hope of upsetting NZ. We've already seen France go down to NZ, and I don't think France have majorly improved since then. Wales, on the other hand, could have given NZ a real scare.

Also, I hope this match shows that Hook should only ever cover 10. He has a lot of talent, but his creativity is needed in the centers to couple with Roberts' carrying ability. It would be a well-balanced partnership. I've seen Hook play his best games at 13 for Wales. Although he'd first have to dislodge Davies.

Last edited:
England-France was appalling from both teams. Neither really deserved to get to the final. And don't paint me out to be anti-French, I have nothing against the French and actually I've been told that I'm in some way part-French myself. I just think Wales deserve to be there (or at least Ireland) on the basis that they've shown so much more. I rate Wales as the second best team in the world at the minute, with SA a very close third. I thought Wales was the NH's biggest hope of upsetting NZ. We've already seen France go down to NZ, and I don't think France have majorly improved since then. Wales, on the other hand, could have given NZ a real scare.

I can tell you right now, France will play 10 times better next Saturday than what you saw in the pool stages.

Last edited:
Wales never deserved it, France are the best team in Europe and the only reason Wales got to the semis is by playing weak European teams.

Is that a joke? We only played one european team (Ireland) and they were by no means weak, we were just better. And the only reason France got to the Quarters is because Tonga lost to Canada.

That second half performance from France was pathetic! If you can't score a try against 14 men, you dont deserve to be in the final. I wouldn't mind losing to a classy French side, but that side that turned up today getting to the final has tarnished world rugby. It will be embarrassing for the tournament when New Zealand beat France by 30+ points in the final, and Alain Rolland has played his part in that. He's not only ruined a Semi Final, but the Final itself will suffer as a spectacle without Wales in it.

Also, I hope this match shows that Hook should only ever cover 10. He has a lot of talent, but his creativity is needed in the centers to couple with Roberts' carrying ability. It would be a well-balanced partnership. I've seen Hook play his best games at 13 for Wales. Although he'd first have to dislodge Davies.

Wales had a better display for this world cup than France without doubt. Saying that, I do not agree with your classification. It is knock out matches and you have to be strong the D-Day, that is the only important thing. How many times France has lost these kind of close games, against England specifically ?? From my perspective, I think France has chosen a strategy for this match, I think there were some good reasons for this strategy against Wales, Even if it is not sexy rugby. I think it is good to see France being on the edge and be able to go through a match like this one without losing it. It is a great improvment from France mentally speaking.

Despite the Red card (which seems a bit harsh considering it is an important game..), Alain Rolland have refered well the match. Ironically, Alain rolland has given a red card in heineken cup to Vincent Clerc for the same dangerous tackled during a match between the WASPS and Toulouse. Mr Rolland seems consistent with his usual refering at least...

For the Welsh team, we will see Next 6th nation if they are able to keep up the good game. If they are, they will be a dangerous side. I guess the next France-Wales will be a little revenge ;)

If you support NH teams usually, you should support France :) I'm pretty sure they will play a good match in final. You have a good mix of young and experienced players and if they turn on, we will see a tight game.

Last edited:
On another note, Wales vs. New Zealand would have been a thrilling end to a WC and I'm gutted that we're not going to be given the opportunity to see it happen. The two best teams in this tournament duking it out for the ultimate trophy. Whereas given how poor France have been I can't see past whoever France plays being a one-sided game. Normally I'd root for a NH team, but it would be awful for rugby if France were to go all the way now.

That's exactly because they have been so poor that they have a good chance of winning next week. Usually when we are really bad in one match, a very good performance comes after, whereas when we have outstanding games like in 87, 99, and 2007, we lose the next one. So this shitty game today was the best thing that could happen for france, it's a very good sign.

Took you're advice now I want you to take your own advice. I watched it again, and there was ABSOLUTELY NO RUCK FORMED. Charteris went down, Imanol stepped over to take the ball, Charteris pulled it back in then Mas went for the kill. I think you did indeed miss the penalty there buddy.
Have watched it again and well I can agree with you that Charteris did play the ball I wasn't 100% certain but Rolland did call a ruck and well he was wrong to do so and Mas didn't listen to call and played it as it was and well yes Rolland was wrong.

And the only reason France got to the Quarters is because Tonga lost to Canada.

You can't say that because if Tonga had beat Canada, France would probably have played better to ensure their qualification. What you have to understand is, French adjust to the level of the team they are playing (that's especially true in soccer), they do just what they need to win, no more, no less. That's why they are bad when they play weaker teams, but can still beat any team in the world in a very casual way.

Last edited:
Welsh politician's weighting in too?

Welsh First Minister Carwyn Jones said referee Alain Rolland "wrecked" Saturday's Rugby World Cup semi-final by sending off Wales captain Sam Warburton.

The Irish official dismissed the Cardiff Blues flank in the 19th minute for a 'tip tackle' on Vincent Clerc and France went on to win the clash 9-8 at Auckland's Eden Park, despite Wales scoring the only try of the match.

Jones, wearing a scarlet Wales rugby top, watched the action live at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, where 61,543 fans followed the game on a giant screen.

"It was the wrong decision, it did wreck the game," he said.

"I thought Sam was unlucky. I thought it was a penalty - it was a clumsy tackle and a yellow card - but not a red card. The game was destroyed from that point on.

"It's not easy being a referee but I thought Alain Rolland got that wrong...
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Ref-wrecked-game-20111015

If you support NH teams usually, you should support France :) I'm pretty sure they will play a good match in final. You have a good mix of young and experienced players and if they turn on, we will see a tight game.

I know a lot of English people. New Zealand has had literally tens of thousands of English immigrants in the last few years

Hardly any of them will support France... they still have Waterloo in their generic memory, and haven't forgiven them for being a bunch of CESM's in the '39-'45 bash!!

You can't say that because if Tonga had beat Canada, France would probably have played better to ensure their qualification. What you have to understand is, French adjust to the level of the team they are playing (that's especially true in soccer), they do just what they need to win, no more, no less. That's why they are bad when they play weaker teams, but can still beat any team in the world in a very casual way.

But tonga would also know that that win would have taken them through. Top teams play to win every game, and you'd expect the finalists to have got there by doing that. As Pienaar said "france have been the worst team at this tournament, and they're in the final!"

But tonga would also know that that win would have taken them through. Top teams play to win every game, and you'd expect the finalists to have got there by doing that. As Pienaar said "france have been the worst team at this tournament, and they're in the final!"

Worse than Namibia?
Worse than Russia?
Worse than Japan?
Worse than (insert name of any team that isn't still in the playoffs)?

Pienaar is an idiot.

Worst as in not playing to their abilities perhaps. Pienaar is right, but his choice of words is poor

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I know a lot of English people. New Zealand has had literally tens of thousands of English immigrants in the last few years

Hardly any of them will support France... they still have Waterloo in their generic memory, and haven't forgiven them for being a bunch of CESM's in the '39-'45 bash!!

I'm living in London so I have got already a taste of the psycho traumatic past history that France has left in the mind of numerous british people :p Not long time ago, A drunk British was blaming me for Falkland islands war...Cause France has sold some Exocet missiles to argentinan navy (and which missiles sunk some english boats)..We are really responsible for everything ! :rolleyes:. But again all these people do not know anything about history in general. And If the brits would not have cowardly running away from Dunkerque in 1939, maybe France would not have surrendered against the germans. If Hitler would have not done a magical move through the Ardennes forest with his panzers (nobody was thinking it possible with tanks at that time), French and British tanks would have outnumbered german tanks in Belgium...the story is a kinda black and white for the brits in general concerning the french :p . It is more funny than anything else most of the times but it can be upsetting as well some other time.

Last edited:
Is that a joke? We only played one european team (Ireland) and they were by no means weak, we were just better. And the only reason France got to the Quarters is because Tonga lost to Canada.

That second half performance from France was pathetic! If you can't score a try against 14 men, you dont deserve to be in the final. I wouldn't mind losing to a classy French side, but that side that turned up today getting to the final has tarnished world rugby. It will be embarrassing for the tournament when New Zealand beat France by 30+ points in the final, and Alain Rolland has played his part in that. He's not only ruined a Semi Final, but the Final itself will suffer as a spectacle without Wales in it.

The most exciting game from the pool rounds is having a mighty big impact on this RWC who would have thought so at the time it just looked like a cracking game in the battle for third place in Pool A.

As I said to Shaggy on FB I have an odd feeling the French are actually going to win this whole thing(this was before the Wales game). They seem to be able to put out the worst possible performance and still win and haven't had their "good game" yet.

As for "worst" team in raw ability and results obviously Namibia but I think in terms of most dissapointing I would say Fiji, played well from about the 20-60 minute mark of the match vs. Namibia and took the rest of the RWC off.

Last edited:

Latest posts