• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - England vs Ireland

The lack of second half implosions in the last two games has to be a plus, particularly when you consider the opposition, at least on paper. Although it remains to be seen what happens when the heat is on in a high stakes game. Hopefully they can bring a lot of confidence into the RWC. I just think England are a completely different kettle of fish when they have a balanced back row with the likes of Curry, Wilson and Underhill featuring.

Podcast lot don't like Eddie Jones because Eddie Jones rightly thinks the Rugby media talk a bunch of shite.
Literally nothing has ****** me off more than some of these podcasts (1 especially) that think they have a clue about international rugby.

Usually these are the same ones who think that Goode would be a top tier International 15 cause he works well in a very systematic club team.

Don't get me wrong Eddie makes some baffling picks, but IMO every coach will make those picks in general.

On Cips IMO the fact he is not even first choice goal kicker at Gloucester nailed him firmly off the plane against someone like Ford (Who is massively underrated)

Question for English fans... listening to a slew of podcasts, one universal sentiment seems to be dislike of Eddie Jones. Does a performance like this move the needle at all in terms of general public opinion? I'm as disappointed as anyone when Cipriani can't get picked, but when you look at results...? Thanks, y'all!

I love Eddie Jones, and not just because I'm not him. ;) I think England fans and press have a tendency to over-criticise their head coaches because expectation is so high. We know with all the resources, player pool, yadda-yadda-yadda that we have, we should be winning World Cups and Grands Slams regularly, but we don't, so the head coach gets it in the ear. Compare to, say, Wales: Warren Gatland wins one 6 nations ***le in 6 years and he's lauded by some Welsh fans as 'the greatest head coach in the world', and has been virtually deified by the Welsh press. If an England coach had done that... well, he wouldn't, because he wouldn't have been given 6 years' grace to win a single 6 nations ***le. He'd be out on his ear after three or four years of failure.

For me, Eddie's the man who has an 80% win record as England coach (best ever), has won 2 Six Nations in 4 years, got our first series win in Australia, got the first win over the Boks in a decade, the first away win over the Boks in almost 2 decades, won a world record-equalling 18 straight games, has turned Twickenham back into a fortress, and has his team looking very nicely prepped for the World Cup. And he makes me laugh to boot!

(This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Eddie Jones party :D).

Podcast lot don't like Eddie Jones because Eddie Jones rightly thinks the Rugby media talk a bunch of shite.
Literally nothing has ****** me off more than some of these podcasts (1 especially) that think they have a clue about international rugby.

Usually these are the same ones who think that Goode would be a top tier International 15 cause he works well in a very systematic club team.

Don't get me wrong Eddie makes some baffling picks, but IMO every coach will make those picks in general.

On Cips IMO the fact he is not even first choice goal kicker at Gloucester nailed him firmly off the plane against someone like Ford (Who is massively underrated)
Don't hold your tongue, the eggchasers wouldn't last long on this forum for want of intelligence!

On Cips, I just wonder what people think we need him for? Attack is his big thing, creating try-scoring chances, and we've been doing that well for a good while now with Ford and/or Farrell at fly-half. The last 10 matches, England have scored 35, 37, 32, 44, 13, 57, 38, 33, 6 and 57 points. For the most part, the ability to create tries has not been a problem.

Cips is basically a poor man's Finn Russell :p If Gatland was picking a Lions squad tomorrow he'd probably still take Sexton, Farrell and Biggar as his three tens and leave Russell and Ford at home. I'm not joking either.

Cips is basically a poor man's Finn Russell :p If Gatland was picking a Lions squad tomorrow he'd probably still take Sexton, Farrell and Biggar as his three tens and leave Russell and Ford at home. I'm not joking either.
I still have zero idea how Biggar gets picked ahead of those two....

Question for English fans... listening to a slew of podcasts, one universal sentiment seems to be dislike of Eddie Jones. Does a performance like this move the needle at all in terms of general public opinion? I'm as disappointed as anyone when Cipriani can't get picked, but when you look at results...? Thanks, y'all!

Podcasts have to set their stall out with a strong opinion and to hell with nuance. Personally, I won't be sad to see EJ go but if nothing else he established some proper back rows and 12s for us to argue about long into the future

Stephen Jones everybody....

Attachments

• 12A707CE-4832-4F0F-94F5-D44058BC244A.png
    12A707CE-4832-4F0F-94F5-D44058BC244A.png
    217.6 KB · Views: 37
On Cips, I just wonder what people think we need him for? Attack is his big thing, creating try-scoring chances, and we've been doing that well for a good while now with Ford and/or Farrell at fly-half. The last 10 matches, England have scored 35, 37, 32, 44, 13, 57, 38, 33, 6 and 57 points. For the most part, the ability to create tries has not been a problem.

Well just last week England didn't manage to score a try, could Cips have made a difference possibly we simply don't know, the smart money would be on Cips being the most likely to create a score against stubborn defences, purely from an attacking point of view he is superior to any other English option, superior to Ford in all areas bar Goal kicking.

His hit on Larmour, plenty of wrist wringing and saying it's a red card
Have a scroll down this thread:
https://twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/1165285857261236229

Plenty of people chirping at BOD, as well, cause he said it was fine.

Read the first 20 or 30 posts and in fairness to most people they seem to agree it was okay, apart from Andy McGeady and a few others.

The losers of a match will always find something to be sore at, this particular incident is the definition of a waste of everyone's time though... apart one more chance to watch a picture perfect big hit.

Latest posts