• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - England vs. Italy

Crap game, but a comfortable win in the end.
Some concerning knocks picked up.

Youngs better but still not good,
Farrell/Francis was bad,
Binny way off the pace,
Wilson/Curry good,
Back 3 good,
Front row issues, but we split our best scrummagers between the two prop pairs so was always likely to be issues there

May was stand out in the backs and sinks in the forwards sith special mention to Wilson who was a machine for 80 min...27 tackled.

80 min and zero points conceded. Thats the main stat. We always new we would get points eventually but good to keep us them at 0.

Under 10 pages of comments says it all.

Let's hope those knocks aren't bad. LCD really didn't look very happy.

Tbh I do feel like Eddie asked for a clean sheet rather than a spanking.

Takeaways-
Ruaraidh is good but not incredible
Sinks and genge are fantastic
Marchant looks like he can grow into that 13 shirt
England can get a clean sheet if needed

Sinckler didn't seem proper injured to me - part of me thinks he was scheduled for 40mins of game time but after they binned off the props in the first half they had to say he couldn't continue in the 2nd to be able to sub him off.

LCD didn't look happy, as you said.
Can't remember how Launch looked when he went off but 2nd row we've got plenty of depth, so while not good it's not a game changer.

1. We played nothing from first phase. No moves at all. The only attacking insight was that Youngs could still tap and go.

2. Defensively great. Esp in first half. Giving the ball away might have even been a training ground move.

3. Ford plays much closer to the line than Farrell. They are the best combo.

4. Solid in the set piece. Plenty of carrying.

Sensible performance.

Sinckler didn't seem proper injured to me - part of me thinks he was scheduled for 40mins of game time but after they binned off the props in the first half they had to say he couldn't continue in the 2nd to be able to sub him off.

LCD didn't look happy, as you said.
Can't remember how Launch looked when he went off but 2nd row we've got plenty of depth, so while not good it's not a game changer.

Launch looked like he got a knock in the back/kidneys. Hopefully his was more precautionary.

LCD didn't look happy, but that could be due to the fear factor of what an injury could mean rather than what it actually is. Hopefully it's a minor knock.

Eddie will keep Daly there, especially with Nowell AWOL

My first choice backline is:
Ford, May, Farrell, Manu, Nowell, Watson
With two of of Daly/Joseph/Joe C on the bench

Daly and May both play 11, and EJ has invested a lot in Daly at 15 this season, is my reasoning/guess at EJs thought process

Eddie will keep Daly there, especially with Nowell AWOL

My first choice backline is:
Ford, May, Farrell, Manu, Nowell, Watson
With two of of Daly/Joseph/Joe C on the bench

Daly and May both play 11, and EJ has invested a lot in Daly at 15 this season, is my reasoning/guess at EJs thought process
In not sure on the watson vs daly battle, there are pros and cons to both. Daly has his failings yet fits v well into iur attacking systems. Im actually thinking having may watson daly. BigJoe/nowell. The out and out pace with that bsck 3 with something different on the bench.

What is it with Barnes and his Young's / Farrell / itoje love fest?

In fairness to Barnes [vomits over keyboard]...he did lay into Youngs during the Ireland game (hard not to I suppose). MOM was a joke though, should have gone to Lawes or May.

Farrell and Itoje are two of our best and most vital players alongside Manu and Bill, so I think the plaudits are more justified there. Saying that, Farrell was pretty **** yesterday - I'd be interested to know what his personal preference would be; himself at 10 running the show or playing alongside best pal Ford.

Poor Italy. Valiant, but not nearly good enough.
And that's why we can read precisely nothing into last night. It was always going to be meaningless and so it proved.

Binny way off the pace,
Yeah the extra game time really proved crucial.

But it did highlight that Binny's carrying game often masks a lack of contribution in other areas. If his carrying isn't firing then is he really bringing much else to the party? Greenwood highlighted the round the corner missed tackle where he wasn't in position quickly enough, and that wasn't the first time this series he's been left clutching thin air defensively.

Wilson may have had the wind up him because he was on home turf, but he always makes a good all round contribution and looks like he's giving it his all. I really would have no issue if he was our starting 8 with Binny coming off the bench. Except that Wilson's our only serious flanker cover too. Barring multiple injuries Ludlam's going to be a spectator for the serious games.

Latest posts