• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - England vs Wales

It's not panic stations yet but there was way too many handling errors, lost set pieces but worryingly no intensity at all. I understand that it's a World Cup warm up match and nobody wants to get injured but that's exactly what it looked the Welsh players were doing, completely blown away in the first 20 minutes by England's physicality.

That why these games are fundamentally meaningless. Show the Welsh a white shirt in a RWC QF and you'll see a totally different animal.

From an English perspective a few things stood out.

Daly is not, has never been and will never be a full back. If Brown's out of the equation Watson must start there. May is nailed on, which leaves a fight for a wing berth. Daly isn't a natural winger either and if you play him that's 3 sprinters which is unbalanced. For all I've said about Nowell's lack of pace I'd play him over Daly on the wing any day. Personally I'd start Joe, raw for sure, but brings an entirely different set of problems.

A quote from the Guardian sums up what I've always felt about Binny. After talking about the way Davies handed him off: "Vunipola might be said to represent this England vintage, devastating in attack but all too easily confounded in defence. He was flummoxed again when George North picked and went in the second half for his try". There's more to being a rugby player than being a force of nature.

Hope Curry's fine. He's increasingly looking like the real deal.

Scrummaging was good. The more locks the better!

then pulls out a wonder try out of nothing..
It wasn't his skill though, first there was the penalty that should of been called within the scrum that allowed him to break away. Also no fewer than three England players made huge mistakes defensively. It was a good try but not really an indivdual piece of magic.

So if England win next week us two have a clash to go number 1 the week after. I feel that would bring two already close bros even closer together.
That checks out.

The only way New Zealand can maintain their (official) 9 year stint at the top, is if England have a draw in one of those 2 games :eek:

That why these games are fundamentally meaningless. Show the Welsh a white shirt in a RWC QF and you'll see a totally different animal.

From an English perspective a few things stood out.

Daly is not, has never been and will never be a full back. If Brown's out of the equation Watson must start there. May is nailed on, which leaves a fight for a wing berth. Daly isn't a natural winger either and if you play him that's 3 sprinters which is unbalanced. For all I've said about Nowell's lack of pace I'd play him over Daly on the wing any day. Personally I'd start Joe, raw for sure, but brings an entirely different set of problems.

A quote from the Guardian sums up what I've always felt about Binny. After talking about the way Davies handed him off: "Vunipola might be said to represent this England vintage, devastating in attack but all too easily confounded in defence. He was flummoxed again when George North picked and went in the second half for his try". There's more to being a rugby player than being a force of nature.

Hope Curry's fine. He's increasingly looking like the real deal.

Scrummaging was good. The more locks the better!

I agree about Daly, the more I see him play the more I think he can't play FB at test level. Joe will be a starter for England in the next few years but I don't think he is ready to be a starter this world cup. He still makes a number of poor decisions due to inexperience which can cost you at the top level. The one that stood out for me was when he had the ball kicked at him, he looked up saw Parkes and tried to run him over instead of looking to pass or step. Parkes just took the tackle, stood him and and turned it into a maul.

Had to wait for the highlights and think Watson is the starting FB, straight swap with Daly as I think his skills are needed on the pitch.
My starting team
15. Watson
14. Daly
13. JJ
12. Manu
11. May
10. Ford
9. Youngs
8. Billy
7. Curry T
6. WIlson
5. Kruis
4. Itoje
3. Sinckler
2. George
1. Mako

16. LCD
17. Genge
18. Williams
19. Lawes
20. Underhill
21. Heinz
22. Farrell
23. Nowell

Squad
Props: Mako, Genge, Marler, Sinckler, Williams, Cole (6)
Hookers: George, LCD, Singleton (3)
Back 5: Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Launchbury, Billy, Wilson, Curry, Underhill, Dombrandt (9)
Scrum halves: Youngs, Heinz, Spencer (3)
Inside backs: Ford, Farrell, Manu, Slade (4)
Outside backs: Daly, JJ, Watson, Nowell, May, Big Joe (5)

Anscombe ruled out of the World Cup. So not only did Wales lose, they lost a starter to injury as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49322030
What's maddening is he played for a few minuites after doing it, now I doubt it made a huge difference but it may have made the difference between ready for knock out games and not playing at all.

I like this blowing up in Gats face but I really do want full strength sides at the world cup. No desire for a cripple fight in probably the most open tournament since 2007.

What's maddening is he played for a few minuites after doing it, now I doubt it made a huge difference but it may have made the difference between ready for knock out games and not playing at all.

I like this blowing up in Gats face but I really do want full strength sides at the world cup. No desire for a cripple fight in probably the most open tournament since 2007.
Aye, players are too tough for their own good sometimes.
He was clearly injured earlier on, but the medic gave him the magic sponge and he played on until it blew out completely later on.
With Biggar on the bench he should have been subbed immediately - it may have already been too late, knee ligament injuries are sometimes funny in that you can tell it's that bad until you move a certain direction, but better safe than sorry a month out.

Even without hindsight it seemed a ridiculous decision at the time, there should be no taking chances with injuries in these sort of games. It will be interesting to see who now becomes 2nd choice. Patchell will be default as he has experience but I would like to see Evans given a proper go at this level. Whether he can handle the game management and defence I'm not sure but it will be bloody exciting what ever happens.

Last edited:
It does seem like Wales took that game far too seriously, no way in hell he should have played on in a warm up game. I really feel sorry for the guy, but bad decision making from himself, Gatland and the medics not too hook him as soon as something twinged

No matter how much we all wish Wales was an island somewhere between north America and Asia (joking) it's gutting to see this happen for Anscombe and Wales. I would be critical of Gatlands decision to play such a strong team, but ultimately it could have happened to Devin Toner or Ringrose in our game, but Anscombe should have been off if there was a shadow of a doubt he was at risk and it's blown up big time.

How awful, really feel for the guy.

Hope he's got the right support in place and not just the physical stuff.

It does seem like Wales took that game far too seriously, no way in hell he should have played on in a warm up game. I really feel sorry for the guy, but bad decision making from himself, Gatland and the medics not too hook him as soon as something twinged

This, despite Gatland and the Welsh team saying it wasn't a big game in the grand scheme of things, the fact they basically put out their full side and kept a key player on the pitch through injury suggests otherwise. I think they really did want to keep the winning streak going all the way to the world cup and really wanted to take the English scalp at Twickers. One team starter injured and it looks like Gatland is going to do the same again in Cardiff.

Well what an awful game. I had a feeling England would step up as they had nothing to lose and were playing for places.

IMO Jarrod Evans now has to be given the chance to stake a claim. He is such a talent and could be the unknown hero at this WC. Theres always one star from nowhere...why not him?

I don't think it's fair to solely blame Daly on that try, yes he should have done better but he was one of a few players to get mugged off, his opposite man should probably have stopped it before it started.

I think people forget Daly has had very little experience at FB, he is slowly getting more and it is admirably difficult to see too much improvement but he is constantly there under tough international opponents rather than a step down for club, I think if he played there for club he could be class, he is great under the attacking high ball, just not so much the defensive high ball.

I don't think it's fair to solely blame Daly on that try, yes he should have done better but he was one of a few players to get mugged off, his opposite man should probably have stopped it before it started.

I think people forget Daly has had very little experience at FB, he is slowly getting more and it is admirably difficult to see too much improvement but he is constantly there under tough international opponents rather than a step down for club, I think if he played there for club he could be class, he is great under the attacking high ball, just not so much the defensive high ball.
Cant see him playing 15 for sarries

Noone forgets... Its lit the exact reason we dont want him playing there for England!

Latest posts