• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - England vs Wales

Noone forgets... Its lit the exact reason we dont want him playing there for England!

My point was that it was implied that he could never be a good FB which in my opinion is nonsense if he had some descent time there he could be every bit as good as some of the best, with all that said I too highly doubt sarries will play him there.

Who's that? ( When do we stop this 'joke')
Sorry I got confused, disregard that last post (We never stop)

My point was that it was implied that he could never be a good FB
I'm not sure it's true that anyone is implying that. But speaking for myself, I'm not interested in the World Cup starting fullback being someone who probably could be a good fullback in future if his club play him there. I want him to actually be a good fullback now

Watson is overrated as a 15, he's a much better winger.

Nowell is the best option at 15 in that squad

I guess it was my fault for not using the quote option originally that seems to indicate to me the implication that ED is not capable of being a descent FB, anyway my point from the start was simply that a lot of blame was being put on Daly, he isn't playing where he wants to play either, the try wasn't solely his fault. Just think people have and are making him a bit of a scape goat at times.

Daly is not, has never been and will never be a full back. If Brown's out of the equation Watson must start there. May is nailed on, which leaves a fight for a wing berth. Daly isn't a natural winger either and if you play him that's 3 sprinters which is unbalanced. For all I've said about Nowell's lack of pace I'd play him over Daly on the wing any day. Personally I'd start Joe, raw for sure, but brings an entirely different set of problems
better!

Watson was successfully targeted as a fullback in the grand slam game against us before he went off, I doubt he's England's saviour there. He'll be an improvement on Daly but wouldn't inspire me with confidence.

Watson was successfully targeted as a fullback in the grand slam game against us before he went off, I doubt he's England's saviour there. He'll be an improvement on Daly but wouldn't inspire me with confidence.

Agreed but it's kind of a we are where we are, Goode has proved he can't step up, brown very solid defensively but doesn't offer the spark, Woodward probably should have had a shot a while ago and is now too late, to me it is a simple question of does the offensive flair that Daly or Watson give you at FB outweigh the solid defensive ability Brown brings.

Obviously gutted for Anscombe, both he and the management team have worked really hard to establish him as an international 10 in time for the World Cup... but best laid plans and all that.

I'm a big Patchell fan (though his form has been off after some knocks this season) and also feel Jarod Evans is the future so hopefully Gats will give them a half each this coming weekend to see how they go.

I heard Underhill has a broken toe, so I doubt either

Wouldn't be surprised at a Wilson/Ludlam/Billy backrow
(Or maybe a Lawes, Ludlam, Wilson)

Wales said they will put out a strong team next week so I can't see many changes. if Hill is fit I can see him coming in for Beard, same for Navidi playing if fit. Biggar will start 10.

If Nowell gets fit, I see him as our answer at 15. But I don't think Eddie agrees.
Under the high ball, Nowell, Watson and Daly are all very good, with Daly the weakest slightly.
Defensively, Nowell is best for me followed by Watson and then Daly.
Positionally I think they'd all be rusty, with Nowell ahead of the other two.
We know that Daly and Watson are the more incisive wingers running from deep and that Daly in particular is great at joining the line.
But I think we take solidity over the above.
Overall, I'd be dead chuffed with a Watson, Nowell, May back-three.

If Nowell gets fit, I see him as our answer at 15. But I don't think Eddie agrees.
Under the high ball, Nowell, Watson and Daly are all very good, with Daly the weakest slightly.
Defensively, Nowell is best for me followed by Watson and then Daly.
Positionally I think they'd all be rusty, with Nowell ahead of the other two.
We know that Daly and Watson are the more incisive wingers running from deep and that Daly in particular is great at joining the line.
But I think we take solidity over the above.
Overall, I'd be dead chuffed with a Watson, Nowell, May back-three.
I agree with most of the above. Nowell is probably the best choice. Rock solid but still with some attacking flare. The issue in think is that May is a always going to start, and I rekon EJ will always want to start Daly due to his mighty boot. So that just leaves one place left, and who should go in it?

Big Joe is just such a massive threat surely you want to start with him.
But
Watson has a lot more test match experience and better defensive positioning and to my eye is a little quicker over the ground
And then
There's McConnochie who appears to be quite a talent but has no experience at all at this level, but could be a game changer.

Watson can cover wing and FB, but the other two are just wingers, so there may be an argument to keep Watson on the bench as injury cover for two places? Just don't know.

I really hope McConnochie gets a start in the warm ups so we can see what he can do. Imagine a pairing of him and May. That kind of pace lurking on both wings could be pretty potent. Would force defending wingers deep to protect against the chips over the top and into the corner which then creates usable dog legs in the centre.

I suppose there are a couple of soft games in our group that could be used as well?

Whatever happens FB is a clear weakness in the team and I would expect all opposition to look to exploit it.

I'm not saying for this RWC, but in the future I think McConnochie could be our best option at 15. For this RWC I'd go with Watson. Nowell's looked good there and I think it's where he looks best in attack but his defence there has been very suspect in the past. His positioning is poor and he doesn't have the pace to make up for it (anyone remember when he got gassed to the line by Beaumont twice in one game because he was out of position both times?).

Anyone else think it's a bit mad that we're discussing using pool games to try players out?

Yes. should have been in this position one year ago at least.
I've heard people saying we don't need to put our full strength team for Argentina, and we should withhold our cards until France game. Mad!

Latest posts