• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - Wales vs England

As expected Wales name a strong team.

Wales team: Liam Williams (Saracens, 56 Caps); George North (Ospreys, 84 Caps), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets, 74 Caps), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets, 16 Caps), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues, 11 Caps); Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, 71 Caps), Gareth Davies (Scarlets, 42 Caps); Nicky Smith (Ospreys, 29 Caps), Ken Owens (Scarlets, 65 Caps), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs, 41 Caps), Jake Ball (Scarlets, 33 Caps), Alun Wyn Jones (C) (Ospreys, 126 Caps), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons, 9 Caps), James Davies (Scarlets, 3 Caps), Ross Moriarty (Dragons, 32 Caps)

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons, 19 Caps), Wyn Jones (Scarlets, 13 Caps), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues, 13 Caps), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets, 18 Caps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues, 16 Caps), Aled Davies (Ospreys, 17 Caps), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues, 1 Cap), Owen Watkin (Ospreys, 14 Caps)

Over to you, Eddie....what's the plan? Is there a plan?

Potentially the last time we see a lot of those guys before the world cup? Schmidt and Gatland have discussed their selections for those games, so while this is a test match lite the next two are hardly test matches at all!

England: Daly; McConnochie, Joseph, Francis, Cokanasiga; Ford, Heinz; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Ludlam, B Vunipola.

Replacements: George, Marler, Sinckler, Kruis, Singleton, Youngs, Farrell, Tuilagi

Still unsure about Francis, and that back row doesn't feel balanced, but a good team beside that.
I'm also worried that we keep risking Billy V. Who's even the back-up to him??

More hookers than backrowers in that 23 ffs. Wilson injured?

Theoretically I would've started a few more first choice players but, as mentioned elsewhere, the new guys need as much game time as possible.

I thought the last squad would get battered, so who knows. It's far from our strongest lineup, but everyone pulled their fingers out last week.

Hadn't noticed that! Does this explain why last week we had SIngleton and LCD on at the same time? (I think) Who was playing prop?

Hard to say, as Singleton was only on the pitch for about 10 seconds of play. He came on for Launchbury, but given that our flankers at that time were Lawes and Kruis one of them could have moved to lock. Props stayed the same.

How is McConnochie's defense, anyone? Daly + Big Joe is a pretty porous foundation for the back 3; 6 turnovers conceded and a 33% tackle completion rate between them according to ESPN.

And as an interesting data point, George Ford was our second best tackler after Ludlam; 16 tackles, 1 missed

And as an interesting data point, George Ford was our second best tackler after Ludlam; 16 tackles, 1 missed

Ford actually has a really high tackle completion rate, which is impressive given how often he is targeted. Unfortunately, he gives up about 3 times as much ground as any other English defender during the completion of said tackle - so "second best tackler" is probably misleading.

I've actually been very impressed with Ford during the back end of this season and vs Wales (aside from a few aimless kicks), so don't want to admonish the lad too much for being a weak defender - he is a fly-half after all. If England play with a bit more attacking intent and less emphasis on "winning collisions" then he'd be a viable first-choice option at 10. Given the current game plan and structure though, Farrell is still comfortably the better option.

Excited to see how he manages a vengeful Welsh side in a hostile environment without Farrell this weekend. Would also like to see him get a chance with Tuilagi outside him.

Yeah there's no questioning his bottle or (most of the time) his technique it's just that's he's pretty small and pretty weak and gets massive guys running at him all game.

He does complete the tackle, but usually there is someone else helping him out, loosing an extra defender but as xypher said it's guaranteed metres when teams run at him. You will see teams using his tackle to get over the gain line to generate quick ball on the next phase. To be fair to him though, most of the time his attacking play outweighs the extra metres lost in defence.

Ford can't really fail to make tackles when players run directly at him. His technique involves reaching out, grabbing the top half of the attacking player, while tiptoeing backwards at great speed, holding on for dear life until another player lends a hand, or the attacker trips over either him, or their own feet. All the while giving meters away. If the attacker can manage to get a pass away in the tackle it's the obvious route to get behind the English defence. But like others have said he's small by modern standards and can't be expected to do much more.

Will be good to see McConnochie get a run out, and glad Big Joe has more game time, Heinz too.

One thing I will say is that we better sort out our discipline in this game. Far too many silly pens given away, and AWJ getting under people's skin far too easily. That's one of the area that let Wales back into the game on Sunday, and would do the same for other top teams going forward.

There's much more pressure on Wales for this one. England clearly aren't taking things too seriously as we aren't fielding our best. Wales have put out their strongest side, at home, roof closed, and desperately needing momentum to pick up again. Could be interesting.

England: Daly; McConnochie, Joseph, Francis, Cokanasiga; Ford, Heinz; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Ludlam, B Vunipola.

Replacements: George, Marler, Sinckler, Kruis, Singleton, Youngs, Farrell, Tuilagi

Still unsure about Francis, and that back row doesn't feel balanced, but a good team beside that.
I'm also worried that we keep risking Billy V. Who's even the back-up to him??
WTF is he playing at? I mean Daly 15, no 8 cover, 1 novice flanker.

Read Underhill's toe was broken - is that a quick fix? Presumably Wilson's injured too? Naming squad early not looking such a hot idea now.

Are we talking about Ford tackling again? Oh how exciting ;)

I guess we will stop talking about Ford's tackling when he actually learns how to tackle like a man and not a 12 year old boy.

Ford can't really fail to make tackles when players run directly at him. His technique involves reaching out, grabbing the top half of the attacking player, while tiptoeing backwards at great speed, holding on for dear life until another player lends a hand, or the attacker trips over either him, or their own feet. All the while giving meters away. If the attacker can manage to get a pass away in the tackle it's the obvious route to get behind the English defence. But like others have said he's small by modern standards and can't be expected to do much more.

Will be good to see McConnochie get a run out, and glad Big Joe has more game time, Heinz too.

One thing I will say is that we better sort out our discipline in this game. Far too many silly pens given away, and AWJ getting under people's skin far too easily. That's one of the area that let Wales back into the game on Sunday, and would do the same for other top teams going forward.

There's much more pressure on Wales for this one. England clearly aren't taking things too seriously as we aren't fielding our best. Wales have put out their strongest side, at home, roof closed, and desperately needing momentum to pick up again. Could be interesting.

We've been saying that since...2011

England Thread Bingo

Ford's Tackling
How many locks take the field.
England's Discipine
English Arrogance

What have I missed off.

Latest posts