• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - Wales vs. Ireland

I think the only disagreement here is that you rate Curry a bit more highly than I do!

I think Curry is a great prospect, but he's still only played a handful of games for England. He's looked really exciting when he's played, but until he strings a longer run of games together and maintains his hitherto level of excellence across them, I don't think we can be talking him up as the Lions' starting 7. I think too many players get too much hype because of a few good games, rather than a sustained level of excellence, which I think is the true mark of a top player.

I think Curry is a great prospect, but he's still only played a handful of games for England. He's looked really exciting when he's played, but until he strings a longer run of games together and maintains his hitherto level of excellence across them, I don't think we can be talking him up as the Lions' starting 7. I think too many players get too much hype because of a few good games, rather than a sustained level of excellence, which I think is the true mark of a top player.
upload_2019-8-29_20-37-25.jpeg

How important do people feel the win is for this match, and for the rematch in a week's time? I know there's all the talk of Gatland and Schmidt agreeing beforehand to field 2nd-string sides (for whatever reason you'd make such an agreement o_O), and it's all a bit of a phoney war with all these warm-up games, but if Ireland were to lose the next two they would go into the World Cup on a 3-game losing streak, while Wales would go in with a ton of momentum having won 17 out of 18. On the other hand, if Wales were to lose the next two, they would go in stuttering having lost 3 out of 4, while Ireland would go in with back-to-back wins and 3 wins in 4 games, giving them some decent momentum. On the third hand, if the two games are split, both sides go into the World Cup at a pretty meh 2-2 over the last 4 games, with neither side having a lot of momentum. Or am I just reading too much into the importance of winning World Cup warm-up games?
The results aren't too important I don't think (although Ireland in particular could really do with at least one win and definitely need to avoid a heavy defeat), I would want to see a noticeable step up in intensity over the next few weeks though, otherwise I'd be very worried. These games will be forgotten when the world cup proper kicks off though.

The results aren't too important I don't think (although Ireland in particular could really do with at least one win and definitely need to avoid a heavy defeat), I would want to see a noticeable step up in intensity over the next few weeks though, otherwise I'd be very worried. These games will be forgotten when the world cup proper kicks off though.

To be honest, I thought Schmidt would have given the Irish first team a chance to redeem themselves with this game, rather like Gatland did with his first team in the second game against England. I'm a bit surprised Schmidt's gone for a more experimental side when it feels like Ireland could really do with a win.

I definitely think win matters more to Ireland. Wales have played their first team and although they looked rusty they did get a win. Ireland were beaten badly and after a disappointing 6N's with some players losing form, losing these two could be a real confidence blow.

I'm hopeful that this Welsh side will do well. The balance up front is good and there's a ton of attacking potential behind.

There's no getting away from the fact that it's at inexperienced side, but the potential is there. Pivac will certainly be interested in how they go!

I'm going to back a narrow Wales win at home. I'm also backing Jarrod Evans, Watkin and Lane to really lay down markers.

Interesting game, 2 experimental sides.

Hoping for an Ireland win as the other half is welsh. :cool:

I am really happy that J.Evans is getting his start. Now is the begining of his progression into one of the best 10s Wales have had for a long time. I just hope it isnt a hiding and knocks him back too far.

Amos at 15 is good. Natural position and will allow him to hit some good lines off Watkin and Evans.

Welsh centers are really fighting for their place in the 23 so expect a big game from both or they actually risk being left out of the squad all together.

Owen Lane is the wildcard for me. Such a gifted player and can ease past North in the next few seasons IF he can stay fit. He just seems a bit like a racehorse atm. He is so close to the edge all the time with all his tweaks and strains.

Wales have gone for complete changes while Ireland have dropped in a few ringers giving them favourited tag. If I were them I would hit the short channels and use their better carries to nulify Davies and Navidi at rhe breakdown. Force those two to make the tackles and then kick chase at Steff Evans who will flop around for a bit, drop a few balls and miss a few tackles. He will then make one single break and people will claim he is the next Shane Williams and forget all of his issues.

Wales have gone for complete changes while Ireland have dropped in a few ringers giving them favourited tag. If I were them I would hit the short channels and use their better carries to nulify Davies and Navidi at rhe breakdown. Force those two to make the tackles and then kick chase at Steff Evans who will flop around for a bit, drop a few balls and miss a few tackles. He will then make one single break and people will claim he is the next Shane Williams and forget all of his issues.
You do wonder with Privac coming in whether this will be the last chance for Steff for a while, he doesn't really rate him at the moment so I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall right down the order.

To be honest, I thought Schmidt would have given the Irish first team a chance to redeem themselves with this game, rather like Gatland did with his first team in the second game against England. I'm a bit surprised Schmidt's gone for a more experimental side when it feels like Ireland could really do with a win.
Gatland didn't pick a strong team the 2nd team around to give them a chance of redemption. It was pre planned as prep for a 6 day turnaround in the world cup.

JVDF would also be in danger if POM shows he can adequately cover #7

Jordi Murphy covers all 3 backrow positions well & has played #7 before

JVDF is 3rd choice #7 when SOB + Leavy are healthy

JVDF only cover #7 & is a midget at Int'l level at #7

I can see Schmidt leaving him out of the 31
But JVDF is only natural 7 and is safe. Jordi has been ok but not tearing up enough trees to cause that by a distance.
And on point 2. Leavy when fit is a beast but will he ever get back to that we don't know. I think he will but at the moment we wait.
SOB is retired from international rugby and is not ahead of VDF based on last 2 to 3 years so that assessment of VDF is wrong.

Also VDF isn't needed to cover anywhere else although he could do 6.

I'll take numbers online over your eye with all due respect.

Van Der Flier has beaten NZ twice, played a big part in the grand slam and Heineken cup etc... I wouldn't swap him for any available 7 in the NH right now, he's the most accomplished of any of them.

Since Ireland ended the 40 year drought without a win v South Africa in 2004 we have a winning record over them, include the series in 04 before that and it's still level. I doubt once we had the more physical pack. It's not how we play the game here, give Ireland parity in the pack, which is often achieved with clever backrow play, and get Sexton on the pitch and they have more than a puncher's chance v anyone, and it's not a big fix to get that, rare you see a good team be beaten like they were in the two 6n matches for long.

There's a lot of people dismissing Ireland right now, it's a bit much, we're going to top our group and go to a quarter final very prepared, it might not be enough because we'll face one of the two favourites and a lot of our players haven't looked as good this season as last season but they've got 6 weeks to peak.

On this. If we top the pool as expected then that will mean very little. If we fail to win a QF the whole RWC is a failure in my eyes. So in the pool we need to find form and be on a wave of confidence when we meet NZ or SA.

And I don't buy this bad luck about the pool if you want to be considered a serious prospect in the World you win the QF regardless of who it is against.

In our last 3 RWC's we have failed and well we can use injuries or whatever but the reality is we were mentally weak and that is the mark of great teams. The southern hemisphere teams always seem to hit great form every 4 years and get the cycle perfect. The big question now is are we mentally better and ready to achieve or will this be another failed attempt.

Gatland can't help himself can he?!

Are you talking about the 'derail' comment? If so, yeah I was a little surprised he put that out there considering the fact both sides are going fairly experimental and it's just a warm up.

The only reason I can think of is to see how his young team respond to that pressure.

Are you talking about the 'derail' comment? If so, yeah I was a little surprised he put that out there considering the fact both sides are going fairly experimental and it's just a warm up.

The only reason I can think of is to see how his young team respond to that pressure.
Yep. I think Gats says most of what he says for his own amusement to be honest, and these next two weeks could be his last chance to try to rule up his favourite country to rile up!

I liked his response to Pichot though! Anyone who puts that fool in his place can't be all bad!

I doubt Gatland cares anymore to be honest, he's in a position now where he doesn't really have to take press conferences seriously and he's just going to say what he wants. Anyone having a go at Pichot deserves praise in my book anyway.

Gatland has absolutely chinned Pichot there to be fair. The 42 called his comments on Ireland a 'stunning attack'. Jesus memories are getting short when calling some of our players old and saying we haven't progressed as far as we'd like in World Cups constitutes a stunning attack from Gatland. In other news Stockdale cut his hair so vision restored he should be able to find the try line again.

I really do wonder about Pichots comments, just what exactly does he propose as an alternative? ABs to be indisputable No.1 and only 2 downwards is up for grabs? To be decided on the whim of World Rugby?

Latest posts