Club or Nation
South Africa
GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
gI004IH.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 15:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Date: 31/08/2019

Hallam Amos (Cardiff Blues); Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Ospreys), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Steff Evans (Scarlets); Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues), Aled Davies (Ospreys); Rhys Carre (Saracens), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), James Davies (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (capt, Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Leon Brown (Dragons), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Jonah Holmes (Leicester Tigers)

That backline is....not good.
Guess you've gotta try every combination in case everyone goes down ill during the RWC or whatever.

From the sounds of it Schmidt and Gatland have talked prior to the game and both are going quite experimental/2nd string according to reports. After playing two strong teams, Wales can't drip feed these players into the 1st team. It has to be whole sale changes.

Lane finally get's a chance in a Welsh jersey, I expect him to to well, that's if he can actually get the ball. Carre has only played something like 5 senior games, think of him as an early Vunipolia, explosive carrier around the park but I expect him to get smashed in the scrum. It's also a bit task for Evans to try and get that back line going, hoping he does try run it a bit though.

If Ireland win they go 2nd, if they win by 15 they go 1st,
If Wales draw they go 2nd, if they lose by any amount they drop to 4th

Absolute bants

If Ireland win they go 2nd, if they win by 15 they go 1st,
If Wales draw they go 2nd, if they lose by any amount they drop to 4th

Absolute bants
Imagine we went first after last week, gas craic altogether.

Edit: these games should be classed as friendlies, they don't matter a shite and everyone apart from the media trying to sell a story knows it or ought to.

Obviously not seen the Ireland team yet, when is it being announced? But I wouldn't be surprised if they won by 15 points.

From the sounds of it Schmidt and Gatland have talked prior to the game and both are going quite experimental/2nd string according to reports. After playing two strong teams, Wales can't drip feed these players into the 1st team. It has to be whole sale changes.

This is the only reason I can think of. I can't believe Gatland sees Ireland as the weaker side to experiment against. Jones makes a bit more sense experimenting against Wales as those games came first and so allowed him to look at players for the Ireland game. I don't see much logic in Gatland's thinking other than Ireland are easier than England or as people have said there is a prior agreement.

There was discussions about selection. Gatland mentioned it and it was the same four years ago.

zmafwnmjxdj31.jpg

Experimental too but about 7 of those starters can battle their way into the starting team and Ryan is a lock in.

If we lose this I'll probably start worrying, we don't need to peak for a month and a half but an upward trend from here on out is probably needed.

Pretty happy with that side overall, centre partnership isn't too inspiring but hopefully will be mitigated somewhat by having Addison.

Glad to see Beirne getting a run at 6, as much as I like Ruddock (especially for certain match ups) Beirne, VDF and Conan is what I'm leaning towards for our best backrow available. Good to see Porter covering loosehead as well. Can't be too many excuses for the lineout this weekend, supposedly out best thrower and apart from Henderson swapping with Toner probably our best possible back 5 for jumping.

Interesting that Best and Furlong at least reportedly asked to be involved in this game and needed the extra game time.

We should be looking to win, barring an early injury at 10 if we don't finish at least within a score it's definitely a bad sign.

Well at least we now know Dave Kearney, Rhys Ruddock, Tommy O'Donnell, Rob Herring and I would say Jack McGrath will know they are not going to Japan.

Schmidt said the squad will be finalised by Tuesday morning but not released to public until after last warm up game.

A chance for some to regain a bit of rep and others there is still a last minute fight.

Why wouldn't Dave Kearney?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's distinctly average at very very best, but he's still been Irelands best back this warmup series (and if he was already not in Schmidt's plans why waste caps on him?).

Still can't believe Adam Byrne wasn't given a shot. A big sexy man beast like him would demoralise the opposition purely upon the realisation he is far more attractive than any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's distinctly average at very very best, but he's still been Irelands best back this warmup series (and if he was already not in Schmidt's plans why waste caps on him?).
Because there are at least six players ahead of him in a position where we're either taking four or five players, he can't play fullback unlike the other potential backups, and everyone else in the back three has either stated a game or been injured the last two weeks. He's in the practice squad because he's a solid player who'll do what you tell him and knows Joe and how he operates very well which is presumably all very useful in training, and if it comes down to an injury callup he's a safe pair of hands who won't panic if he has to come in. He isn't anywhere near the first 31 though, this is the first squad he's been named in in two years.

Were you in Amsterdam??????????????????

No where near the standard. Was in camp as he knows the structures and fills the role of bag man same as Tommy O'Donnell and few others.

Latest posts