[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Peter Richardson

Peter Richardson Academy Player

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

I apologize for that unnecessary comment....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Peter Richardson

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

I apologize for that unnecessary comment....

4. Fat_Prick

Fat_Prick Academy Player

Country Flag:

Italy

this looks like a opportunistic conspiracy to get the hosts through, maybe not an elaborate one, but certainly minimal effort is going towards getting this game played, an opportunist conspiracy

very unimpressed with tournament organization if this game does not go ahead, the group stage has already been dragged out, yet they can't reschedule the biggest game of the tournament so far?

rugby still in a very amateur places, with the rules and tournament organization.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peter Richardson

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

I agree the managment of this tournament would be very upsetting. I am actually quite annoyed that they would cancel such an important game...

6. Zerobound

Zerobound Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Scotland

With this match earmarked from the beginning as being the most important match of pool play. Also now confirmed as such. The thought of this match not being played is the worst case scenario for everyone.. This game would have given a first taste of knockout rugby.

Cancelling the Ireland v Samoa game would make it worse. Integrity of the tournament? At least the result would have an impact on how the pool finishes. Ireland would have to get points to advance by playing a team that both Japan and Scotland beat. As well as giving themselves a chance to top the pool.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. Fat_Prick

Fat_Prick Academy Player

Country Flag:

Italy

Scotland were robbed previous tournament as well from memory, a disaster penalty from Joubert vs Australia

• Like Like x 1
  8. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

You only remember that one decision because it came at the end but as with most rugby matches decisions went both ways over the course.

Plus, it wasn't the clanger people make it out to be. Technically incorrect but that could only be determined with the benefit of TV reviews.

Lets leave the 'we wus robbed' narrative to Cheika eh.

Hope this game gets played and Scotland get blown off the park by Japan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Brigantine

Brigantine Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Japan

I still think the game will most likely be played. I just don't trust media types to give proper context around these worst case scenario contingencies. The reasons they give why other options would be rejected just sound like clutching at straws.

One point though, the organizers said at the outset that pool matches would definitely not be rescheduled on a different day, because the schedule was already tight with 4 day turnarounds etc. - That decision was fair enough, and now they have to treat all teams evenly and follow through on that decision. The game needs to go ahead on Sunday.

UPDATE: Spoke too soon. Italy got eliminated with the wave of a feather

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  10. Peter Richardson

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

To be honest mate i dont know who you support but what your saying is rubbish... Scotland was robbed last world cup and its clear and labled #1 of thr worst refing decisions in international rugby. I hope the game goes on so Scotland can put Japan in their place which is not in the quarter finals against the boks or the all blacks...

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Ferrari333SP

Ferrari333SP Academy Player

They'll decide if they'll go ahead with the game 6 hours before kickoff - meaning there's no backup plan. Tough next couple of days for the Scotland team

12. donmcdazzle

donmcdazzle First XV

What a gutless decision by World Rugby to not have a back up. Move the teams right now to an alternate venue and just have the games somewhere else. You'll avoid all issues with that. Refund the people who can't make it to the new venues, teams will be safely in their new locations before the Typhoon hits.

I am staggered that they didn't have a back up plan other than just cancelling games.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ferrari333SP

One of the reasons for not moving it to another stadium, is that the game would be moved to a downsized stadium, and therefore, if theoretically all fans who bought tickets to Yokohama stadium wanted to go to the moved, there'd be tens of thousands who'd not be able to get into the stadium. So they'd have to essentially play instead to an empty stadium, which I don't think World Rugby wanted/was willing to do. It was essentially have a game with fans, or nothing.

14. donmcdazzle

donmcdazzle First XV

Planning could/would have sorted this out. Ballot type system, invalidate tickets starting from cheapest to most expensive and refund those unfortunate people, etc. Reality is moving cities would have meant a large number of original ticket holders wouldn't have been able to attend anyway.

Basically having no plan means everyone (players, fans overseas etc) misses out, rather than a certain number of ticketholders... just a disaster of an outcome.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Zerobound

Zerobound Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Scotland

World rugby publically acknowledged it was clearly a wrong call. I think it was more of clanger than you seem to think it was.

Technically incorrect is still incorrect.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ferrari333SP

But yeah, so bizarre they couldn't just move the games to an enclosed stadium somewhere. Or play both games at the same stadium, one during the day, and the other in the evening. Bing bam boom

• Like Like x 1
  17. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

The best kind of incorrect. 1o9hl2.jpg

Seriously, if you expect the refs to make technically correct calls every time you best start watching NFL. The nature of rugby dictates that the refs make incorrect calls or miss calls altogether throughout every single match.

As I said, if he made that mistake at the start of the match no one would be talking about the decision despite it having the same impact.

18. Zerobound

Zerobound Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Scotland

Will be an interesting match. This game probably needs to go ahead. They'll most likely get the biggest audience for this match. Especially with the others canned.

The conditions are likely to be atrocious. Scotland want a win but they'll also have to restrict Japan from any competition points. The four try bonus point will be less likely.

Discipline will be vital for both teams. Scotland are going to need to keep the points ticking over to prevent Japan from getting within 7. I think 4 competition points is their most realistic goal. If they can complete another shut out that would be a perfect result.

It will make team selection interesting. Japan can continue with the team they have more or less. Which is basically fielding their best players. Scotland may have to take a look at their kicking options. Hastings will be in the 23. Maybe playing him at 12 at some stage in the match will be an option? I think the backline will be where the Scots will have to have a good think. Could Kinghorn end up on one of the wings? His size would be quite effective in a rain effected match.

In regards to the forward pack. The Scots will probably want their most disciplined players. Also though I think it selects itself. There wouldn't be any changes from their number one pack.

Japan just need to keep doing what they are doing, building up form and not get overawed by the occasion.

19. Zerobound

Zerobound Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Scotland

To be fair, I think any wrong call at anytime would have been an issue. Just look at the controversy the referring in this tournament has caused.

20. Icemn

Icemn First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Hoping for Japan's VTEC to kick in early in this match and run at 9000rpm for 80min...

Go JAPAN!

• Like Like x 1
  21. donmcdazzle

donmcdazzle First XV

I imagine it will be cancelled to be honest. Hope I’m wrong

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!