• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - Japan vs. Samoa (05/10/2019)

Can Japan rest players in remaining pool game now? They've qualified haven't they?
Depends on whether they want to top the group or not... I assume that they want that SA rematch over NZ.

Can Japan rest players in remaining pool game now? They've qualified haven't they?
Not quite if Ireland and Scotland their final games they'll be removed. Scotland need BP wins otherwise it's PD

Not quite if Ireland and Scotland their final games they'll be removed. Scotland need BP wins otherwise it's PD
Do you know if a three way draw goes down to points difference over all the games or just between the three teams tied? It's the one permutation I can't figure out.

Assuming Ireland BP Samoa, Scotland need to beat Japan and stop them getting two BPs while matching their one BP if they do get one. Scotland would go through based on head to head. A tall order if there are more squint scrum feed type calls by the officials. Looks like the powers that be want Japan in the QF.

3cga1o.jpg

Hey if you guys screw up again you deserve to go out.
But I don't think we would!

If the three teams end on 15 we top the pool in either tiebreaker in all likelihood.

Either the three way table will be
Ireland - 6
Japan & Scotland - 5 PD decides between them.

Or it goes down to PD where we can't fall behind Japan in that scenario and Scotland would have to have a PD of 42 + whatever we beat Samoa by over their two games.

That allows us room to rotate as needed for Samoa anyway.

But I don't think we would!

If the three teams end on 15 we top the pool in either tiebreaker in all likelihood.

Either the three way table will be
Ireland - 6
Japan & Scotland - 5 PD decides between them.

Or it goes down to PD where we can't fall behind Japan in that scenario and Scotland would have to have a PD of 42 + whatever we beat Samoa by over their two games.

That allows us room to rotate as needed for Samoa anyway.

This is the sort of thing that makes Carbery's decision to kick it out against Japan look very sensible.

Good on Japan and all that, but man that last sequence was very fortunate for them. First time I've seen that call in about 3 years.

The draw is set up well for them too - 8 days prep and Scotland get 4. Organisers have done Japan every favour they can.

Good on Japan and all that, but man that last sequence was very fortunate for them. First time I've seen that call in about 3 years.

The draw is set up well for them too - 8 days prep and Scotland get 4. Organisers have done Japan every favour they can.

Was it last year or the year before where refs were told to watch closely that scrums were fed properly. There were a few calls made and then it disappeared again.

Was it last year or the year before where refs were told to watch closely that scrums were fed properly. There were a few calls made and then it disappeared again.

There's just no way he makes that call in the 5th minute of the game or whatever. How convenient he pulled one up at the death with the host nation going for a bonus point. That sort of inconsistency ****** me off about refereeing.

Group A permutations:

EGHZCQFXUAAuQu7.png:large

It assumes that Scotland get a BP win against Russia.

Credit to @topofthemoonGW on twitter.

Last edited:
There's just no way he makes that call in the 5th minute of the game or whatever. How convenient he pulled one up at the death with the host nation going for a bonus point. That sort of inconsistency ****** me off about refereeing.

Oh I completely agree. I just remember there was a push to feed properly about 1-2 years ago and then it disappeared again.

Group A permutations:

EGHZCQFXUAAuQu7.png:large

It assumes that Scotland get a BP win against Russia.

Credit to @topofthemoonGW on twitter.
It ought be head to head before most of those.

It ought be head to head before most of those.

It is head to head as the first tiebreaker if two teams are on equal points. That's why the table can include specific orders in most cases. The gold text is in the case where all three teams are tied on points, having all beaten each other once.

Latest posts