[RWCQ] Russia vs. Uruguay. 1st Leg. 27/09/14

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Russia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Uruguay.png

Russia vs. Uruguay 27/09/14 16:00 KRAT, Central Stadium, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)

The first leg of the repechage battle for the final spot at the 2015 Rugby World Cup takes place on the final weekend of September. As the team with the worse IRB world ranking Russia will host the 1st leg and have chosen (correctly) to host in the heartland of Russian rugby, Krasnoyarsk where they got a respectable crowd for the game vs. Zimbabwe. The Bears will be looking to qualify for their 2nd straight RWC while Uruguay will be looking to finally advance to the main stage again after bowing out at this stage in both 2007 and 2011 qualifying.

Lineups will be added when available.

Last edited:
No matter the outcome I feel kinda bad for both of them. One will go home and miss out on the World Cup and the other gets the honor of being thrashed around by Australia, England, Wales and Fiji. I have no idea how this one will go though I'm routing for Uruguay. Hopefully Russia and Uruguay play to their potential and we get a good series out of them.

Yeah the winner of this has drawn arguably the best pool in RWC history(I would say it is, certainly in the five team pool era). Basically the repechage winner would "target" the Fiji game and try to keep that within reason. I actually think Los Teros might acquit themselves slightly better than the Bears would. Uruguay actually have a superior set piece to Fiji, and might even hold up scrum wise to OZ at points.

Pablo Lemoine and the coaching staff will be praying for lousy English autumn weather most games though to keep those margins down and make the games more of a forward battle which would allow Uruguay to at least play to their strengths. Oz and England might run rampant on them on a dry pitch.

The Bears might score some nice tries in game's that have run away and their opponents kind of start coasting in, but I don't see them being competitive in any facet of play, they might give us a fun game against Fiji if both teams play loose, but the other three will dominate their fairly pathetic pack.

Uruguayan travelling squad announced, just a few changes to the side that faced Hong Kong but notably Ortega has returned to the side after a five year absense!!! 18 are Uruguayan based players, with three in France(one in each tier) and a guy in Italy and Corral is based in Argentina. I won't be translating the squad list as it's pretty self explanatory and you all need to brush up on your Spanish anyway....

URUGUAY

PILARES
Alejo Corral (SIC, Argentina)
Ã"scar Duran (Carrasco Polo)
Carlos Arboleya (Trébol)

HOOKERS
Nicolás Klappenbach(c) Champagnat
Arturo Ãvalo (Carrasco Polo)

SEGUNDA LÃNEA
Matías Palomeque (Trébol)
Franco Lamanna (CUS Perugia, Italia)
Rodrigo Capó Castres (Francia)
Santiago Vilaseca (Old Boys)

TERCERA LÃNEA
Juan De Freitas (Champagnat)
Juan Gaminara (Old Boys)
Diego Magno (MVCC)
Alejandro Nieto (Champagnat)

MEDIOSCRUM
Agustín Ormaechea (Mont de Marsan, Francia)

APERTURAS
Felipe Berchesi (SOC, Chambery, Frabcia)
Alejo Durán (Trébol)

WINGS-CENTROS-FULLBACKS
Jerónimo Etcheverry (Carrasco Polo)
Alberto Román (PSG)
Joaquín Prada (Los Cuervos)
Santiago Gibernau (Carrasco Polo)
Rodrigo Silva (Carrasco Polo)
Leandro Leivas (Old Christians)
Gastón Mieres (Lobos)

Russia

Props
Sergey Sekisov (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Grigory Tsnobiladze (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Andrey Igretsov (Slava-CSP Moscow)
Innokenty Zykov (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
Evgeny Pronenko (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)

Hookers
Valery Tsnobiladze (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Stanislav Selskiy (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)

Locks
Alexander Voytov (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Kirill Kulemin (USA Perpignan, France)
Ivan Sysoev (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Maxim Kiselev (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)

Backrow
Andrey Ostrikov (Sale Sharks, England)
Viktor Gresev (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Andrey Temnov (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
Pavel Butenko (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
Andrey Garbuzov (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Vitaly Grivat (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)

Scrumhalves
Alexander Yanyushkin (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Rushan Yagudin (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Alexey Shcherban (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)

Flyhalves
Yuri Kushnarev (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
Sergey Sugrobov (Slava-CSP Moscow)

Centres
Dimitry Gerasimov (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
Alexey Makovetsky (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Vasily Artemyev (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Mikhail Babaev (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)

Wingers
Vladimir Ostroushko (Kuban Krasnodar)
Igor Galinovsky (Krasny Yar Krasnoyarsk)
Denis Simplikevich (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
Igor Klyuchnikov (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)

Fullbacks
Ilya Dyomushkin (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Ramil Gaisin (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)

Last edited:
Russia XV :

1. Grigory Tsnobiladze (Krasny Yar)
2. Valery Tsnobiladze (Krasny Yar)
3. Evgeny Pronenko (Enisey-STM)
4. Alexander Voytov (cap., VVA Saracens)
5. Kirill Kulemin (USA Perpignan)
6. Andrey Temnov (Enisey-STM)
7. Andrey Garbuzov (Krasny Yar)
8. Viktor Gresev (Krasny Yar)
9. Alexander Yanyushkin (VVA Saracens)
10. Yury Kushnarev (Enisey-STM)
11. Vladimir Ostroushko (Kuban Krasnodar)
12. Alexey Makovetsky (Krasny Yar)
13. Dimitry Gerasimov (Enisey-STM)
14. Mikhail Babaev (VVA Saracens)
15. Vasily Artemyev (Krasny Yar)

16. Vladislav Korshunov (VVA Saracens)
17. Andrey Igretsov (Slava-CSP)
18. Andrey Ostrikov (Sale Sharks)
19. Pavel Butenko (Enisey-STM)
20. Ramil Gaisin (Enisey-STM)
21. Rushan Yagudin (Krasny Yar)
22. Denis Simplikevich (Enisey-STM)

Uggghhh nice preview post ruined by an Internal Server error on the forum. game will be on IRB website....here is Los Teros lineup.

Starters

1- Corral
2- Klappenbach
3- O.Duran
4- Vilaseca
5- Capó
6- Gaminara
7- Magno
8- Nieto
9- Ormaechea
10- Berchesi
11- Etcheverry
12- Román
13- Prada
14- Gibernau
15- Mieres

Bench

16- Avalo
17- Arboleya
18- Lamanna
19- Palomeque
20- De Freitas
21- Leivas
22- A. Durán

With The Rugby Championship games being on at a reasonable time in Canada I thought maybe I could actually go to bed early. Then I remembered this game is on at like 1am here and I REALLY want to watch it. I really hope Russia and Uruguay play an exciting game, at least better than the mess that was Uruguay vs Hong Kong. I might have to give the slight edge to the Russians since they are at home and Uruguay has to travel across the world to play in Siberia. Though I still have Uruguay winning the Repechage.

With The Rugby Championship games being on at a reasonable time in Canada I thought maybe I could actually go to bed early. Then I remembered this game is on at like 1am here and I REALLY want to watch it. I really hope Russia and Uruguay play an exciting game, at least better than the mess that was Uruguay vs Hong Kong. I might have to give the slight edge to the Russians since they are at home and Uruguay has to travel across the world to play in Siberia. Though I still have Uruguay winning the Repechage.

I really wish this game was like two hours later in Russia, the 4 p.m. start there makes it 4 a.m. for me which is just too early(and I assume for many Uruguayan's as well where it must be 5 a.m. start) even for a game I'm excited about. I think the IRB stream should be archived on the site for a time so I'll watch it later.

I share your sentiments on the likely results, I'll say a narrow Russian win today, 5-6 points or something like that.

Scrappy game, but I'm quite enjoying it.

Uruguay look pretty good ball in hand, running some good lines. Set pieces are nothing to write home about, but there are some big lumps in the forwards knocking each other about.

Two yellow cards for Russia, in quick succession, could kill this off for them.

Russia - Uruguay 22-21 final result. The match was much better in the second half but I still got the feeling that both teams were better in 2011 than they are now. Uruguay are slight favorites after this result but it still could go either way.

Yeah, the Uruguayan team almost looked happier with the result than the Russians did!

Unfortunately missed this with the time zone, will check the irb site for highlights.
Sounds as if it wasn't a bad match, certainly sets up a great second leg.

Good result for Uruguay oddly, the narrow one point loss isn't too hard to overcome at home, they'll rue a few missed oppourtunites but coming back only one down is actually good news for them. Russia don't look nearly as good as they did in 2011.

Think they'll get a big crowd in Montevideo with qualification wide open.

Latest posts