[RWCQ] Russia vs. Zimbabwe 02/08/14

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Russia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Zimbabwe.png

Russia vs. Zimbabwe 02/08/14, 19:00 KRAT, Central Stadium, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

The quest for the final available spot in the 2015 RWC continues on the first weekend of August. the 3rd place team from the ENC Russia, take on the 2nd place team from the ANC Zimbabwe. Russia look to try and qualify for their 2nd straight RWC though they have struggled for the most part since that event and have fallen behind Georgia and Romania by a decent margin in the 2nd tier of European Rugby. They have smartly put this game in the heartland of Russian rugby Krasnoyarsk and hopefully there will be a much better atmosphere than the empty grounds at Sochi.

For Zimbabwe this marks perhaps the closest they have come to qualifying for a RWC since the 1991 event(they also competed in 1987). They'll be rueing some missed opportunites and bad breaks in the ANC which could have given them the Africa #1 spot. They did however do enough to continue their journey by finishing 2nd, while heavy underdogs this match certainly isn't in the realm of the impossible for Zimbabwe, especially if their set piece functions well.

Lineups:TBA

Last edited:
Russia extented squad
Props
Mamuka Hechikov (Krasny Yar)
Andrey Igretsov (Slava-CSP Moscow)
Evgeny Pronenko (Enisey-STM)
Grigory Tsnobiladze (Krasny Yar)
Innokenty Zykov (Enisey-STM)

Hookers
Stanislav Selsky (Enisey-STM)
Valery Tsnobiladze (Krasny Yar)

Locks
Pavel Butenko (Enisey-STM)
Maxim Kiselev (Krasny Yar)
Alexander Khudyakov (Krasny Yar)
Kirill Kulemin (USA Perpignan - FRANCE)
Alexander Voytov (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)

Backrow
Artem Fatakhov (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Andrey Garbuzov (Krasny Yar)
Viktor Gresev (Krasny Yar)
Andrey Ostrikov (Sale Sharks - ENGLAND)
Andrey Temnov (Enisey-STM)

Scrumhalves
Alexey Shcherban (Enisey-STM)
Rushan Yagudin (Krasny Yar)
Alexander Yanyushkin (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)

Flyhalves
Ramil Gaisin (Enisey-STM)
Yuri Kushnarev (Enisey-STM)
Sergey Sugrobov (Slava-CSP Moscow)

Centres
Mikhail Babaev (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Igor Galinovsky (Krasny Yar)
Dimitry Gerasimov (Enisey-STM)
Alexey Makovetsky (Krasny Yar)

Wingers
Vasily Artemyev (Krasny Yar)
Vladimir Ostroushko (Kuban Krasnodar)
Denis Simplikevich (Enisey-STM)

Fullbacks
Ilya Demushkin (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)
Igor Klyuchnikov (VVA Saracens Moscow Region)

Russia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Zimbabwe.png

Russia vs. Zimbabwe 02/08/14, Time TBA, Central Stadium, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

The quest for the final available spot in the 2015 RWC continues on the first weekend of August. the 3rd place team from the ENC Russia, take on the 2nd place team from the ANC Zimbabwe. Russia look to try and qualify for their 2nd straight RWC though they have struggled for the most part since that event and have fallen behind Georgia and Romania by a decent margin in the 2nd tier of European Rugby. They have smartly put this game in the heartland of Russian rugby Krasnoyarsk and hopefully there will be a much better atmosphere than the empty grounds at Sochi.

For Zimbabwe this marks perhaps the closest they have come to qualifying for a RWC since the 1991 event(they also competed in 1987). They'll be rueing some missed opportunites and bad breaks in the ANC which could have given them the Africa #1 spot. They did however do enough to continue their journey by finishing 2nd, while heavy underdogs this match certainly isn't in the realm of the impossible for Zimbabwe, especially if their set piece functions well.

Lineups:TBA
haha that zimbabwe logo looks way tooooo big ;)

HAHAHAHA I didn't notice it till now, I found it in the archive with all our other graphics and didn't change anything....oh well.
yeah and there are no other pictures which i can get to help make them the right size, i just found pictures off the beast and david denton

yeah and there are no other pictures which i can get to help make them the right size, i just found pictures off the beast and david denton

I'll try and look for one if Zimbabwe win this game and advance to the repechage final, the Bears have named a strong side there though and they are taking this contest seriously, I don't think an upset is completely off the cards but Russia are heavy favourites.

Zimbabwe Sables squad for Russia

Forwards: Pieter Joubert, Keith Murray, Kevin Nqindi, Jan Ferreira, Graeme Lawler, Jacques Leitao, Lambert Groenewald, Lawrence Cleminson, Sanele Sibanda, Matthew Mandioma, Farai Mudariki, Fortune Chipendu, Kingsley Lang, Takunda Chifokoyo.

Backs: Daniel Hondo (captain), Hilton Mudariki, Guy Cronje, Stephan Hunduza, Riaan O'Neill, Tafadzwa Chitokwindo, Peter Du Toit, Lenience Tambwera, Shayne Makombe, Danny Robertson.

What are people doing that is more important than watching this game? Is there another game on or something.

Currently 13-7 to Russia. Both teams are putting up good accounts of themselves.

20-10 now, I figured Zimbabwe would keep this reasonable, I've only caught most of the 2nd half, game was a little early for me to wake up for after a tiring week of work.

Make that 23-10....also I like how there is finally a crowd at a Russian game that I'm watching, the games in Sochi are awful. In Krasnoyarsk there is some atmosphere.

Simplikevich could have ended the game right there some brilliant moves to avoid three Sables, than just drops the ball when he might have run ina try.

Zimababwe try out of nowhere!!!! Is it too late, have to move their ass on the conversion. Less than a minute to go.

Conversion missed, 23-15, in added time now.

Last edited:
Russian Bears 23-15 Zimbabwe, 2nd half was a fun contest and from what William said 1st half was pretty decent as well. Fairly good turnout in Krasnoyarsk. Russia advance to the repechage final to play the winner of Uruguay and Hong Kong which goes in about four hours. Zimbabwe have been elliminated from the 2015 RWC.

What are people doing that is more important than watching this game? Is there another game on or something.

Currently 13-7 to Russia. Both teams are putting up good accounts of themselves.

I must say that I totally forgot this game, I was watching the super rugby final and it was fascinating game.

A good effort from Zimbabwe though in Russia.

Yeah they were up for this game, and the try at the end was a brilliantly worked move. They really had their chances in so many qualifying games but lacked that finesse in the finish, and made some real brain farts that spoiled great games.

Hopefully if the weather is acceptable Russia will host Uruguay/Hong Kong in Krasnoyarsk and not Sochi.

Man, I completely forgot this was on!

Did Andrei Ostrikov play at 6 for Russia?
Anyone see how well he went, as well?

I'll try and look for one if Zimbabwe win this game and advance to the repechage final, the Bears have named a strong side there though and they are taking this contest seriously, I don't think an upset is completely off the cards but Russia are heavy favourites.
zimbabwe.png
hope this helps Littleguy