• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWCQ] Uruguay vs. Russia. 2nd Leg. 11/10/14

I guess that is that.

Edit: Ref called 4min left before lineout hence why comms would say that.

HUUUUGGGE Penalty...Uruguay with breathing room. 36-27 with not much left to go. Russia need two scores, I think it's over.

What a great game. Something the fans present will never forget.

Sad for Russia who've played hard and come so close and had to put up with until very recently some terrible coaching and crowds etc. But exuberance for Uruguay who've bowed out at this point in the last two cycles.

Even though they will get thrashed likely 4 times, will be great for the Uruguayans to play against the hosts at a sold out Manchester City Stadium. Hopefully they can sort them out a good strength and conditioning programme to help limit the blowouts in 11 months time.

As for Russia, they need to rethink their programme. I wonder whether Kingsley Jones was watching this after seeing his Dragons side fall to another lame defeat? The worst coaching appointment since USA hired Scott Johnson a few years back.

Even though they will get thrashed likely 4 times, will be great for the Uruguayans to play against the hosts at a sold out Manchester City Stadium. Hopefully they can sort them out a good strength and conditioning programme to help limit the blowouts in 11 months time.

As for Russia, they need to rethink their programme. I wonder whether Kingsley Jones was watching this after seeing his Dragons side fall to another lame defeat? The worst coaching appointment since USA hired Scott Johnson a few years back.

Yep that's going to be key and especially strengthening the bench and reserve quality with such short turnarounds. Likely they'll "target" Fiji and might be able to keep that one within some reasonable measure, particularly if the conditions are poor.

I am really looking forward to seeing how their scrum manages against Fiji and Australia. Set piece wise I think they'll acquit themselves fairly well, but if games start getting loose and fast we could see some pretty hefty scorelines put on them.

Los Teros are pretty much the complete opposite of Russia in coaching appointments. Pablo Lemoine deserves some consideration for IRB coach of the year(I'm very serious here, thinking of writing a big post on it at some point).

Last edited:

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Last edited by a moderator:
Uruguay should try and get Jake White involved in the run up to 2015.

Equally, a great bit of business from Brian Kennedy to trade Dimes for KJ from Russia :p
Diamond did a great job with Russia, only to see them nosedive as soon as Kingsley took over.

Huge win for Uruguay, I'm happy for them. They will be trashed at the RWC but who cares, being there will be a big boost for their rugby. The Uruguay TV commentators went mental at the end :)

I don't understand how Russia can have such a pathetic front row. They have a fully pro league and have even used two Georgian brothers (prop and hooker) but their scrum still got absolutely destroyed by some amateurs. Uruguay's scrum is decent but not great, I watched Romania's 3rd/4th choice props overpower them in the IRB Nations Cup this summer.