• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWCQ] Uruguay vs. Hong Kong 02/08/14

Uruguay 28-3 Hong Kong

Uruguay:
Try: Felipe Berchesi (71'), Diego Magno (80+3')
Con: Agustín Ormaechea 0/2 (72'x, 80+4')
Pen: Agustín Ormaechea 5/8 (3', 7'x, 23'x, 28', 33'x, 57', 67', 76'), Felipe Berchesi 1/1 (44')
DG: Berchesi 0/1 (64'x)
Sub: missed who came on/off (55'), 23 on 11 off (60'), 16 on 1 off (61'), 21 on 6 off (68'), 20 on 8 off (72'), 22 on 14 off (72'), 18 on 1 off (74')

Hong Kong:
Pen: Chris McAdam 1/1 (13')
Sub: Tom McQueen for Yiu Kam Shing (45'?), Jack Bennett for Pale Tauti (53'), 16 for 2 (61'), 20 on 1 off(61'), 21 on 9 off (77'), 22 on 10 off (77')
YC: Leon Wei (51' - 61' scrum infrigement), Nick Hewson (66' -77' breakdown)

Score flattered Uruguay frankly and I didn't think Anselmi was great either. Ultimately the conditions were what Uruguay needed as Hong Kong couldn't run with the ball the way the liked to and their breakdowns got slown down. In the end, this weekend featured 2 winners who were less than impressive. It was no secret I was rooting for Hong Kong and I thought defensively they played well for almost the whole match with probably about only 35% possession, 30% territory for themselves. The HK was nothing surprising but execution lacked early on, lots of kicks missing touch or going out on the full. I think HK certainly impressed a few today who thought they were going to get annihilated.

Last edited:
Congratulations Uruguay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about Uruguay's perfomance? I couldn't see the game.

I thought Uruguay were a little underwhelming. Straight away they tried to play away from their strengths by going for cross field kick and chases and trying to play wider with the ball when they should've just kept smashing off 9. Eventually they went to that (at some points setting what I believed to be illegal mauls aka obstruction) but on the whole they were the better team today. Similar to how it took the US 60-65 mins to break Uruguay in the 2nd leg earlier this year, it took Uruguay around the same time. Hong Kong really started to break around 50mins when Anselmi gave a yellow card to the lossehead Leon Wei. I thought it was harsh but Anselmi felt there was too much infringement by HK at the scrum. Forwards and backs both had the all important strength advantage on the wet torn up grass, Hong Kong never had a chance to really get running and HK I think tried to do too much stepping instead of just pinning back and making 1 move. In the end, poor conditions created lots of sloppy play and while the better team won there was left a lot to be desired.

Nice journey :)
Hong Kong is a bit conservative on offense
Never mind, some team members can focus back on Asian Sevens Series
Others can get back to work for living :D

Last edited:

Latest posts