• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ryan Nelsen

S

shiznit

Hey guys...
wanting to know if anyone has seen Ryan Nelsen play this year. i was just catching up with my brother whos been raving about him.

hes been talking about how the pompeys were after him and how hes blackburns captain etc...

basicly weve been arguing over whether hes NZ's best ever footballer. i was adamant Winton Rufer is but my brother thinks Nelsen is.

my question to you guys is.... has anyone actually noticed him?? im a kiwi and i watch alot of EPL games and even i havent noticed him.

and is he any good?? ive always got the impression the guy is average at best. sure just playing in the EPL is a huge achievement for a kiwi but i didnt think he was any good to be honest.

I'm not sure about this season, but apparently he was going quite well his first season and some forums were calling him the steal of the season - had the bigger clubs after him as well.

He captained Blackburn in the FA Cup a couple of times as well

Uncle Wiki says :

Move to the Premiership
Nelsen was signed by Blackburn Rovers on a free transfer in January 2005, shortly after the 2004 MLS season had finished. In the summer of 2005, after just 6 months at the club, Nelsen was rewarded with a new 3 year contract after impressing Blackburn Rovers manager Mark Hughes by helping to turn their defence into one of the stingiest of the league, conceding only .67 goals per game after his arrival that season. The central defender was successfully awarded a work permit when Rovers launched an appeal after the initial application had been refused due to New Zealand being ranked outside the top 70 in the FIFA World Rankings.

Nelsen has been a revelation for Blackburn, as he's consistently produced top class performances to keep clean sheets against some of the Premier League's best strikers, alongside Zurab Khizanishvili, Andy Todd and Christopher Samba. In the 2005-06, Blackburn qualified for the UEFA Cup with a 6th place finish, but Nelsen missed the last couple of games after breaking his foot in a 2-0 win at Charlton. Nevertheless, his performances since arriving in England prompted much interest from rival clubs, notably Portsmouth having big bids turned down by Rovers.

Despite recovering from the foot injury, Nelsen was dealt another serious blow before the start of the 2006-07 season, with a serious hamstring injury forcing him out until the new year. On his return to the team in an FA Cup 4th round win at Luton Town, he was immediately made captain, a clear indication of highly the club regard him and he remains a fans favourite.[/b]

blackburn isn't exactly a bad club to be at. he was a regular starter I think for them and the captain too I think. I think he was out injured for some of this season too. I don't think many average players get picked up by a team like blackburn and start. nelsen is the real deal but I don't think he is nz's greatest footballer yet.

<div class='quotemain'> I don't think many average players get picked up by a team like blackburn and start. [/b]

Explain Robbie Savage then.
[/b][/quote]

ah dam it. got me there mite :D

He's very important to Blackburn. He adds a certain defensive steel to them when he plays and they look a lot more vulnerable when he's absent. I would say he's at about his level but that's no disgrace.

<div class='quotemain'> I don't think many average players get picked up by a team like blackburn and start. [/b]

Explain Robbie Savage then.
[/b][/quote]
Because his Aunts a Drag Queen.

It's pretty hard to compare them because they play or in Winton's case played different positions.

As the others have said he's a good defender and is able to play pretty much every where across the back line, although he use to push forward alot more in the MLS an scored the odd goal here and there, but I guess that's because it's a weaker comp and his role and the tactics were deferent.

He's our best current player going around and is definitely the best defender to come out of N.Z.

I like the look of young Chris James (he plays for Fulham reserves) he's one for the future.

Latest posts