• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

S this the worst 6N ever.......

To be fair Ireland have huge injury problems on top of some obvious retirements and England and France and in transition with new coaches . It's was pretty clear before it started it was going to probably be more attritional than normal . The whole SH>NH argument is getting thin on the ground now

Really? The standard hasn't been high, but it's only been two weekends...

And maybe it's just me, but I feel he's given a fairly romanticised view of the World Cup. The final was great, and Japan-SA was entertaining, but I didn't think the tournament was all that great a spectacle.

What's to discuss. Everyone is either injured or knackered. Two brand new coaches in the mix and Scotland/Italy performing as they always have. Slap that on the very beginning of the WC cycle (notwithstanding the rankings debacle that may determine pool draws at the end of the year) and I don't think anyone thought this tournament would set the world ablaze.

In short, Cleary wanted clicks.

It's like when a few rounds into this season people were saying the Premiership is dying and it's terrible yada yada yada but it's been quality since.

It's like when a few rounds into this season people were saying the Premiership is dying and it's terrible yada yada yada but it's been quality since.

As a Bath fan I think you are talking nonsense.

And maybe it's just me, but I feel he's given a fairly romanticised view of the World Cup. The final was great, and Japan-SA was entertaining, but I didn't think the tournament was all that great a spectacle.

Are you kidding? The world cup was glorious! Every game was high quality and entertaining, expect France's matches. "Unattractive" fixtures as Scotland-Samoa or Tonga-Georgia turned out to be real crackers and every Pool A and knockout games were just fantastic rugby. I, as a French rugby fan, saw more thrilling rugby in a month than in 4 years of domestic rugby.

As for the 6 Nations, it's been alright, some teams are great to watch but lose, Scotland, some teams are dull to watch but win, as France - it's not dull for me but I imagine that for neutrals it mustn't be the greatest of spectacles.

Yes, by in the large the Six Nations has been pretty dire. It has been for a while to be fair.

It's all perspective, the quality is far better than the early and mid 2000's, I think the hype or anti-hype(?) of the tournament has a role in it. In the past we'd have stated that England v Scotland was a typical Calcutta cup arm wrestle, Ireland v Wales was a bruising and intense match-up, "Italy are always at their strongest in round 1", "Classy display by England to take advantage of the Italians once they wounded them", "Typical French bully tactics to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against the Irish" and well Wales v Scotland was good for my money bar North's try. This year, after the world cup, it's "this is ****, that's ****, you're ****, I'm **** and ITV are up Eddie Jones' arse the dirty Anglo-Aussie bastid"... We should probably find a nice middle ground and build our way up to the level of those Southerners for the 10 or so years the tournament remains as it is.

Would rather wait until it's done to judge but I'm not enthused so far. And maybe that's a rugby hangover, or an England hangover, but it feels pretty boring. Low quality, low entertainment.

Could and should get better though - more cohesion, more drama.

For those bored, there still is Rugby League... :cool::cool:

It's not been the best. Personal bugbears too much kicking out of hand, far too many scrum resets and a lack of creativity to break down defences. I don't even think it's a lack of ability more of a mindset amongst players and coaches.

Both England games have been fairly typical for those fixtures and as noted weren't the horror shows of the mid 2000's.

I think there are some rose tinted glasses to how this tournament usually goes.

Who cares? I still bloody enjoy the thing. The weather isn't the best, so how can we complain.

The championship may have the quality, but we have the passion and the better rivalry. The problem people see from the 6 nations is that no one accepts defeat to their biggest rivals so teams go out not to lose primarily.

It's not been the best. Personal bugbears too much kicking out of hand, far too many scrum resets and a lack of creativity to break down defences. I don't even think it's a lack of ability more of a mindset amongst players and coaches.

For Ireland we've kicked the ball far less than we have in the past this 6N's. In truth we should have kicked far more against the French because their 9,10,15 couldn't kick. I don't think that's the reason why its been shocking fare though. NZ regularly kick the leather off the ball but everyone thinks they're brilliant. What makes for a poor spectacle (and poor results) in the NH is the conservatism. We don't do offloads and having a go out wide runs the risk of getting isolated so safer options are chosen. Safer options like repeatedly running into the nearest man and winning a game of attrition.

What forever irritates me is wingers kicking up the line when the full back is perfectly positioned. Wasting possession for a remote chance of pressuring a mistake is considered good practice. A SH wing would always back themselves to find a gap.

I think it's the lack of ambition that disappoints. Aimless recycle, run in straight line, repeat and hope to draw pen. Watching the previously instinctive France play like this is particularly sad.

It's not just that it's not great to watch, more importantly it simply isn't going to be beat the top teams other than an occasional fluke.

Too early to judge Jones of course, but interesting that we're saying this despite all 4 home nations having SH coaches.

Latest posts