• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salary Cap Investigations

While I imagine that exceptional circumstances probably would apply, that's gotta be a pretty big kick in the teeth for guys from other clubs right? For years the Saracens boys have been paid more than the others, outside of the cap, and then as a result of being overpaid they're allowed to go overseas to earn big bucks in France, and then still be allowed to play for England. Moving to Saracens for 1 season may well end up being the greatest career move Daly could've possibly made.

I wonder if Michael Rhodes, Vincent Koch and Brad Barritt will head to the Bulls?

I wonder if Michael Rhodes, Vincent Koch and Brad Barritt will head to the Bulls?

I don't think we'll take Barritt. But Koch, who is a Bulls academy player will be a good shout, but he will have some competition with Trevor Nyakane and Wihan Herbst. Michael Rhodes could be used at lock and loose forward, but perhaps he'll more than likely go back to the Stormers or the Lions.

There is a rumour going around that Rassie Erasmus has already spoken to Koch about his future and that he should consider returning to SA to be part of the core Springbok squad.

I think the end of this season is the best time to pull up the drawbridge and abolish promotion/relegation from the championship...

I reckon even Theresa May could get that proposal through parliament...

Latest reports are suggesting that the Bulls are already in talks with Vincent Koch to get him to return to the Bulls.

In what way did the Scottish league survive? Celtic won it at a canter every season. A fore gone conclusion before a ball was kicked. Ruined.

Juventus is more of a fair one, but the Italian is full of big teams. Inter, Milan, Napoli, Rome, Lazio, so it was always going to survive.

I personally think it will be unfair to hit Saracens with another penalty. Give them until the end of the season to sort it.

1) The Scottish league is still there, so obviously it did survive.
2) Many lower league clubs benefitted from the increase in attendances that followed from a team called Rangers playing in their division, for the 4 years it took them to get to the Premiership.
3) In the 4 years that there was no team calling itself Rangers in the top flight, 7 different teams won either the League Cup or Scottish Cup (of which one was Celtic). In addition, 8 different teams qualified for European competitions (of which one was Celtic). It is fair to assume that if the original Rangers hadn't died in 2012, or the current Tribute Act had been placed in the top division, then some of these clubs wouldn't have had this success.

The rest of the season will be a good trail for ring-fencing IMO.
See if teams would really play exciting rugby with no pressure.

2) Many lower league clubs benefitted from the increase in attendances that followed from a team called Rangers playing in their division, for the 4 years it took them to get to the Premiership.
3) In the 4 years that there was no team calling itself Rangers in the top flight, 7 different teams won either the League Cup or Scottish Cup (of which one was Celtic). In addition, 8 different teams qualified for European competitions (of which one was Celtic). It is fair to assume that if the original Rangers hadn't died in 2012, or the current Tribute Act had been placed in the top division, then some of these clubs wouldn't have had this success.

1) Obviously it is going to survive, as the fans were still there. Also, we are talking about the league, not the cups. So who else won the league? And what was the closest points margin to Celtic. Yes, the league was ruined, I didn't ever mention going out of existence.

Calling the new Rangers team a tribute act :rolleyes:

in the 4 years before Rangers went bankrupt, 7 different teams won either the League Cup or Scottish cup. So what is your point? Also, what does a competition that has nothing to do with the Scottish Premiership have to do with the strength of the Scottish Premiership?

While I imagine that exceptional circumstances probably would apply, that's gotta be a pretty big kick in the teeth for guys from other clubs right? For years the Saracens boys have been paid more than the others, outside of the cap, and then as a result of being overpaid they're allowed to go overseas to earn big bucks in France, and then still be allowed to play for England. Moving to Saracens for 1 season may well end up being the greatest career move Daly could've possibly made.

No not really I don't think the majority of Sarries top players have been over paid when compared to equivalent quality players from other teams, it's just the quantity of quality players they have, someone did some fantastic comparisons on this a page or two back

No not really I don't think the majority of Sarries top players have been over paid when compared to equivalent quality players from other teams, it's just the quantity of quality players they have, someone did some fantastic comparisons on this a page or two back
Exactly. Co-investments aside (and it's a hell of an aside) it doesn't appear that they were overpaying any specific player, they just had too many top-class talents, and chose not to make those difficult decisions when young players demanded more, or they wanted a new shiny toy.

Bath wanted Cokanasiga - and lost Banahan to pay for him
Wasps wanted Sopoaga - and lost Cipriani to pay for him
Exeter wanted Hogg - and lost Cordero to pay for him
Sarries wanted Williams - and kept Goode
Sarries wanted Daly - and kept both Goode and Williams
Quin's found that a batch of youngsters were becoming senior and wanted paying accordingly, and could only afford 3 of Strettle, JTH, Brown and Monye - Sarries added Strettle without anyone else making way.

This not only means that Saracen's are stronger than they would otherwise be, but that other clubs are weaker, because those other top-class players already at Saracen's simply don't come into the market. Maybe Wasps would have liked to replace Daly, with a Williams, or a Goode, or a Maitland, or even a Lewington or Duncan Taylor...

Last edited:
Exactly. Co-investments aside (and it's a hell of an aside) it doesn't appear that they were overpaying any specific player, they just had too many top-class talents, and chose not to make those difficult decisions when young players demanded more, or they wanted a new shiny toy.
Bath wanted Cokanasiga - and lost Banahan to pay for him
Wasps wanted Sopoaga - and lost Cipriani to pay for him
Sarries wanted Williams - and kept Goode
Sarries wanted Daly - and kept both Goode and Williams

Great post...

RFU now investigating Sarries for bringing the game into disrepute, with a possible fine on the way - obviously looking to top the bank balance up a bit

RFU now investigating Sarries for bringing the game into disrepute, with a possible fine on the way - obviously looking to top the bank balance up a bit
You'd be hard pressed to say that they're wrong about disrepute - given all the negative headlines, even reaching the "news" sections of papers (if not front pages).

Does feel a bit like kicking a man when he's down though; so hopefully something along the lines of "guilty, but we consider the £5.4M fine, and relegation to be enough"

Aye, i absolutely agree with and investigation and publicly/officially condemning them/their actions - a fine just seems a bit silly IMO.
They've already been punished severely by the people in charge of club rugby, the union wanting a slice too just seems like wanting in on the gravy train.

With Sorries trying to avoid forensic accountants like the plague - why are they not being banned from entering any league next season, or indeed, until they allow examination of their accounts?

After all - does evading inspection not imply that they are simply seeking a new and novel means of circumventing the rules?

in the 4 years before Rangers went bankrupt, 7 different teams won either the League Cup or Scottish cup. So what is your point? Also, what does a competition that has nothing to do with the Scottish Premiership have to do with the strength of the Scottish Premiership?
No they didn't.

In the 4 years before Rangers went bankrupt, only 3 teams other than Rangers or Celtic won a Cup or League ***le.

My point is, without Rangers, other clubs had a chance to shine; and without Sarries, other rugby clubs may win some ***les.

Latest posts