• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam cane may be disciplined due to apology

Totally agreed, except it's not that black and white.

In some places that would probably be deemed assault if someone wants to make an issue of it. Doesn't matter that the intruder shouldn't have been there.
I don't think it would be deemed assault; it would be considered provoked or self defence and relatively harmless. Law officials don't want to bother with crap like that.

On the other hand, there are certainly incidents on the rugby field, especially in the "good old days", that could be deemed assault and I always found it odd that no one ever laid charges. It's not like a rugby field is international waters.

I don't think it would be deemed assault; it would be considered provoked or self defence and relatively harmless. Law officials don't want to bother with crap like that.

On the other hand, there are certainly incidents on the rugby field, especially in the "good old days", that could be deemed assault and I always found it odd that no one ever laid charges. It's not like a rugby field is international waters.
Totally agree it's not the kind of thing that should choke up the courts. But based on the available footage, any claim of provocation or self defence would be pretty flimsy in my book. Hopefully WR can find a "You're both idiots" solution without overblowing it.

A few years back, Simon Devereux got 9 months in prison for breaking an opponent's jaw with a punch while playing for Gloucester seconds. But there could have been many, many more.

Turns out it was a teen, and that's why Sam cane apparently apologised. He said he had originally thought he was an adult.

I must be missing something - the invader went down, rolled and got up running, as if he'd never been tackled

Did I walk into the washer-women gossip thread by mistake?

I must be missing something - the invader went down, rolled and got up running, as if he'd never been tackled

Did I walk into the washer-women gossip thread by mistake?
....you walked into a thread everyone else more than a months ago...

Latest posts