• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SBW back to NRL Roosters in 2013... Confirmed.

kovana

Bench Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Blues
Man.. People are correct about this fellow.. But with supposedly 4 million offered.. Most peole would not turn that money down.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-sydney-roosters/story-e6frfgbo-1226233913691

The Roosters will use the cash freed up from the expected retirements of fullback Anthony Minichiello and skipper Braith Anasta to fit Williams under the salary cap, which will be increased by 2013 anyway with the next television deal to provide a $1 billion-plus boost for clubs.

Already they are saying the NRL is getting 1 billion.. What happens if they dont get it?

No real quotes there, just some spin.

Anyway if he gets offered that kind of cash, can hardly blame him.

Not sure if it's true, but I always expected him to leave. It's the reason I didn't want him in the All Blacks to start with. Just doesn't have the dedication to the AB jersey and players who should have had his spot, did. He's got a RWC medal, why would he stay?

Anyway, even if it's not true (and I suspect it's more speculation than anything else), there was never any way he was going to be in NZ past 2012.

If he leaves, I hope he does it in style and helps the Chiefs to reach the Play offs

I would like him to stay until after the 2015 World Cup. If he continues to grow as a rugby union player and participates until 2015 then think of the money he could be offered after that tournament.

No definite proof but it dose seem, based on the evidence, that it is the case.

I would like him to stay until after the 2015 World Cup. If he continues to grow as a rugby union player and participates until 2015 then think of the money he could be offered after that tournament.

Not much more I wouldn't think. Sonny Bill Williams biggest attraction is his supposedly infinite potential. By the time the next RWC final comes around, he'll be around 30, not young enough to tie him up in a long and expensive contract. He got what he came for, which was the RWC winners medal and the All Blacks jersey which he's dreamed of all the way back when he was 24...

In my opinion, I would have been happy to have been wrong and he continued to want to be an All Black for a few more years. The only positive is now someone who has actually dreamed of being the AB's inside centre for a long time can get a look in, after Ma'a Nonu retires from international rugby. Shame players like Gear missed out on a RWC match because of him though...

Not much more I wouldn't think. Sonny Bill Williams biggest attraction is his supposedly infinite potential. By the time the next RWC final comes around, he'll be around 30, not young enough to tie him up in a long and expensive contract. He got what he came for, which was the RWC winners medal and the All Blacks jersey which he's dreamed of all the way back when he was 24...

In my opinion, I would have been happy to have been wrong and he continued to want to be an All Black for a few more years. The only positive is now someone who has actually dreamed of being the AB's inside centre for a long time can get a look in, after Ma'a Nonu retires from international rugby. Shame players like Gear missed out on a RWC match because of him though...

Sorry Nick but its about time you take your tinted glasses off for the hatred of SBW.

You can't really make that statement because there is no evidence to support your assumption that SBW did not dream of being an All Black. The fact he is successful in two codes has meant he has become a target for the likes of yourself for being jealous that he is good in two sports and no just the one. I 100% guarantee that in the same situation you would do the same and earn the most money you could playing a sport that within an instance can end your career. Not going to lie, if a team offers me more money then I would seriously consider going with the team that will pay me the most. The same is true with jobs, if one job offers you more, who are you going to work for? Company offering a poor wage or the one offering a bigger wage?

SBW was not at fault for his selection as an All Black, it was the coaching staff and selectors that selected him, there fault therefore and not SBW. He's not a Gavin Henson media type person either, who comes up with stupid media comments, all of his media perception has come from poor journalism and his wacko agent.

SBW is now a rugby icon that a lot of people who don't know much about rugby now know his name. SBW is no angel but the criticism he gets from yourself Nick and others is unwarranted at times.

Last edited:
I don't get the fuss neither. Before he came back to NZ it was very clear he came back with 1 single goal. Help the Ab's win the RWC.
Which he did. Canterbury also won the ITM cup and the crusaders nearly won the S15. For a player like him there aren't that many challenges left.
The fact that he played games where other players missed out is not his mistake, point the finger at the selectors, altho they will say they picked him because the NZRU paid him big $.

I don't get the fuss neither. Before he came back to NZ it was very clear he came back with 1 single goal. Help the Ab's win the RWC.
Which he did. Canterbury also won the ITM cup and the crusaders nearly won the S15. For a player like him there aren't that many challenges left.
The fact that he played games where other players missed out is not his mistake, point the finger at the selectors, altho they will say they picked him because the NZRU paid him big $.

Doing it twice. Any tool can do it once with a bit of luck. If Williams played a pivotal part in a third WC win for NZ, the first back-to-back win, that would be massive. It would write his name as a legend of the game.

Instead he's a possibly overrated flit-by with a lot of cash. If he's happy then good on him, but saying there's nothing left for him to achieve falls way short of the mark imo.

Sorry Nick but its about time you take your tinted glasses off for the hatred of SBW.

You can't really make that statement because there is no evidence to support your assumption that SBW did not dream of being an All Black. The fact he is successful in two codes has meant he has become a target for the likes of yourself for being jealous that he is good in two sports and no just the one. I 100% guarantee that in the same situation you would do the same and earn the most money you could playing a sport that within an instance can end your career. SBW was not at fault, it was the coaching staff and selectors that selected him, there fault therefore and not SBW. SBW is now an icon in rugby that a lot of people who don't know much about rugby now his name. SBW is no angel but the criticism he gets from yourself Nick and others is unwarranted at times.

It's not hatred, it's disapointment. I don't see any reason for me to be jelous either (over any other player that plays international rugby).

I have always said that I was disapointed that the NZRU hired him, not that he wanted to play for the All Blacks. Of course he wanted to win a RWC and then bugger off, if I was a talented athlete like SBW, I could see the appeal, but I don't think he deserved to be an All Black by any sense of the word. He had one good game so far against Scotland, and then a lot of average games.

Doing it twice. Any tool can do it once with a bit of luck. If Williams played a pivotal part in a third WC win for NZ, the first back-to-back win, that would be massive. It would write his name as a legend of the game.

Instead he's a possibly overrated flit-by with a lot of cash. If he's happy then good on him, but saying there's nothing left for him to achieve falls way short of the mark imo.

And that's the thing. He's got the accolades, when his most outstanding contribution to the RWC was a yellow card against Australia in the semi final. He's still got a long way to go before he becomes a regular starter for the All Blacks.

Anyway, the rumor that he has signed for the Roosters has been denied by his agent. As I've always said, if SBW stays past 2012 I'll withdraw my criticism of the NZRU for signing up, but other than media interest, I don't think he has done any good for the All Blacks legacy.

Rule of thumb: Never trust transfer rumors to do with players managed by Khoder Nasser...

They are hit and miss at best. Even if this one is true, it's one of the rare times they have actually told the media the truth. It's impossible to trust anything they say. Just last year, Quade Cooper had "signed for the Reds", then was "about to move to the NRL", then "signed for the Reds" again...

Need to wait for an official announcement to ever be sure unfortunately.

I think this (if it's true-and that's a big if) is just a sign of the times in professional sport today. He has more to prove in Rugby than he does in League. After all in League he's won a premiership with the Bulldogs and played a way more significant role with the Kiwis than he has so far with the ABs. It's all about money and really who could blame him. You're a long time retired with very minimal earning capacity.

You do know what the word "confirmed" means right?

The media reckon they've finalized a deal, (even if that's the case, he's probably yet to sign anything though). I'd still hesitate to trust SBW camp's word on anything. If another club comes along with twice as much money he'll probably "finalize" a deal with them as well.

Last edited:
Don't believe this story for one minute, but I would be incredibly surprised if SBW remained in NZ for the rest of his career. I think he'll hang around there for a short while, to get some more All Black caps and actually cement the 12 jersey now Nonu's eating sushi.

But then money is money. I can see a big 2 year contract with one of the top NRL clubs, just to come back and show the leaguies what they've missed. Then he'll be back off to France to earn a nice pension; retire from rugby and then focus 100% on boxing.

Why is there so much money in the NRL. I don't follow it much is it really that big?

Why is there so much money in the NRL. I don't follow it much is it really that big?

It's no different to Europe really. Instead of soccer and rugby union clubs owning the market share here, NRL and AFL clubs do. (just a very broad example)

Latest posts