• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland squad

A

An Tarbh

Frank Hadden has named a 33 man squad for their Six Nations opener at home to defending champions Wales.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Scotland name squad for Wales clash
Tuesday, 20 January 2009 17:24

Scotland head coach Frank Hadden has handed a maiden call-up to Glasgow starlet Ruaridh Jackson for the RBS 6 Nations opener against Wales.

Jackson, 20, is one of two uncapped players in a 33-man squad for the 8 February clash at Murrayfield.

Edinburgh prop Geoff Cross, who was named in a provisional squad for the autumn internationals, is the other rookie.

A versatile back, Jackson has been picked as a fly-half where he has made only one senior start for Glasgow.

However, that was in this season's Heineken Cup pool clash at Bath, where he earned rave reviews.

Flanker Jason White makes the selection, with Hadden expecting him to recover from hand surgery in time.

Hadden said: 'I'm delighted by the number of players who are putting up their hands as genuine candidates for international selection.

'Momentum is vital in such a short round of matches, so we know the importance of starting well and getting a big Scottish crowd behind us.'

Scotland's squad will meet up on Monday, where they will undergo a three-day training camp.

Scotland squad v Wales, RBS 6 Nations, Murrayfield, Sunday 8 February:

Backs: Mike Blair (Edinburgh), Ben Cairns (Edinburgh), Chris Cusiter (Perpignan), Simon Danielli (Ulster), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh), Max Evans (Glasgow), Thom Evans (Glasgow), Phil Godman (Edinburgh), Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow), Sean Lamont (Northampton), Rory Lawson (Gloucester), Graeme Morrison (Glasgow), Dan Parks (Glasgow), Chris Paterson (Edinburgh), Hugo Southwell (Edinburgh), Simon Webster (Edinburgh).

Forwards: John Barclay (Glasgow), Kelly Brown (Glasgow), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh), Alasdair Dickinson (Gloucester), Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Scott Gray (Northampton), Dougie Hall (Glasgow), Craig Hamilton (Edinburgh), Jim Hamilton (Edinburgh), Nathan Hines (Perpignan), Allister Hogg (Edinburgh), Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow), Euan Murray (Northampton), Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester), Simon Taylor (Stade Francais), Jason White (Sale).[/b]

From - RTÉ Sport

Looks like a solid Scottish squad, I expect them to finish 4th in the 6Nations this year, or maybe even 3rd who knows...just have a feeling they might produce something special this year, but just not against Wales

Frank Hadden has been quite bold in his choice of squad for the Six Nations...Bringing in non-cap Glasgow starlet Ruaridh Jackson was a big step towards integrating new players into the team. Also the inclusion of Glasgow stars Thom and Max Evans can bring much needed pace and direction to Scotlands attacking prospects. With seasoned veterans such as Chris Paterson and Jason White, the team does not lack experience in key areas. Also with Mike Blair and Phil Godman in good form the half-backs aren't half bad. But the big question is who plays in the centre? De Luca, Cairns, Morrison and Max Evans all competing. Scotland have lacked strength in dpeth and serious competition for starting places in recent years and hopefully this can spur the boys into action. Mon the blues!!

Henderson is a big loss for me but you've got to think it'll damage his Lions chances as well, given that Edwards said on the European rugby special that Six Nations form will basically be the deciding factor.

Henderson?

He doesnt even get a game for Glasgow never mind for the Lions, hes a slow ball carries with few skills. The Scotland centres should be Morrison and Max Evans, a nice combo of pace and power. Paterson should start at full back whilst Rory Lamont is injured and im really hoping Godman can beat off the injury he has in time for Wales, great to see Jackson in the squad to.

Interesting that Jackson has been included when he's only started one game for Glasgow, but it'll be good experience for him and he looks a real prospect.

Match day squad will hopefully look like

1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Hines
5. Hamilton
6. Strokosch
7. Barclay
8. Taylor

9. Blair ©
10. Godman

11. Lamont
12. Morrison
13. Cairns
14. Thom Evans
15. Southwell

16. Cross/Dickinson
17. Hall
18. Kellock/Hamilton
19. Gray/Brown/Hogg
20. Cusiter
21. Paterson
22. De Luca/Max Evans

Godman's place kicking has improved alot recently, so Hadden shouldn't pick Paterson just for his kicking, especially when Southwell has been playing out of his skin at full back. I'm also torn over whether Lamont should be included (maybe Northampton fans could provide input?). When he's good he's very good and is a completely different threat to Thom Evans, but Max Evans and Danielli (or so I've heard) have been playing well lately.

Comparing our squad these days to even just 2 years ago it is just so much stronger, I'm feeling pretty confident about this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Jan 21 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting that Jackson has been included when he's only started one game for Glasgow, but it'll be good experience for him and he looks a real prospect.

Match day squad will hopefully look like

1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Hines
5. Hamilton
6. Strokosch
7. Barclay
8. Taylor

9. Blair ©
10. Godman

11. Lamont
12. Morrison
13. Cairns
14. Thom Evans
15. Southwell

16. Cross/Dickinson
17. Hall
18. Kellock/Hamilton
19. Gray/Brown/Hogg
20. Cusiter
21. Paterson
22. De Luca/Max Evans

Godman's place kicking has improved alot recently, so Hadden shouldn't pick Paterson just for his kicking, especially when Southwell has been playing out of his skin at full back. I'm also torn over whether Lamont should be included (maybe Northampton fans could provide input?). When he's good he's very good and is a completely different threat to Thom Evans, but Max Evans and Danielli (or so I've heard) have been playing well lately.

Comparing our squad these days to even just 2 years ago it is just so much stronger, I'm feeling pretty confident about this year.[/b]

Can Cairns play 12 because I think both Max Evans and Ben Cairns are the two form Scottish centres at the moment with Morrison not far behind. Shame two great players are competing for one place.

I have not been impressed with de Luca in the games that I have seen him except the Scotland vs Canada where he made a few breaks.

Any opinions?

De Luca is just awful, i cant understand why anyone rates him, hes so clumsy and gives away loads of penalties. He's got a bit of class going forward but Morrison,Cairns and Evans are all better centres. I would go with Morrison and Evans as the centres for the moment. Also i pretty much completely agree with Crispys side, looks good, just hope we get no injuries.

My choice 22 would be,

1. Euan Murray (props might be wrong way round, Murray plays both sides...I get confused with who's tight and loosehead sometimes)
2. Ross Ford
3. Al Jacobson
4. Simon Taylor
5. Alastair Kellock
6. Alasdair Strokosch
7. Kelly Brown
8. Ally Hogg
9. Mike Blair (captain)
10. Phil Godman
11. Simon Webster
12. Graeme Morrison
13. Ben Cairns
14. Sean Lamont
15. Hugo Southwell
16. Dougie Hall
17. Geoff Cross
18. Jason White
19. John Barclay
20. Chris Cusiter / Rory Lawson
21. Chris Paterson
22. Max Evans

Logic

• Simon Taylor at 4 because I understand that's where he's been playing a lot regularly, plus we'll need some extra mobility on the field...we'll also have our hands full with the Welsh back row, we could use another one at ruck / ball carrying time.
  • If you disagree with Hugo Southwell at 15, I hate you.
  • I'd switch 6 and 8 around in the scrum depending on where the scrum is, I've seen Strokosch at 8 and he's not half bad.
  • Godman has impressed me at 10, especially against Glasgow at Murrayfield...his hands are fantastic and with Blair, Webster and Southwell all packing decent kicking from hand, and Godman's goal kicking developing nicely, I'm comfortable with him at 10.
  • With White on the bench we bring in a good line-out man if it proves a problem either at lock or as another wing forward...he's a good off the bench player.
  • Paterson and M. Evans as back-up backs cover all the backline positions. Paterson still offers some great kicking and Max Evans has been amazing for Glasgow, he's been a pleasure to watch.

This is a lot to do with my person preferences, and some kind of potentially risky choices that I think could work.
I've not omitted anyone for any malicious reason other than Dan Parks, I hope he's just there because he's really good at holding tackle bags...that better be the case.

You could pick the best possible Scottish line-up with Dan Parks at 10 and we'll play badly, there have been a few occasions when I've outright blamed him for our shawdy performances. We always play better when he's not in the squad or plays a minimal role in the game. I do not like Dan Parks.

You must be joking, the useless Webster instead of Thom Evans :lol:

Also i would much rather have Paterson than Southwell, who is a useless attacker and doesnt have the brilliant goal kicking of CP.

We sent Dan Parks over with the sole intention of sabotaging the potential of Scottish rugby, u mad?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Jan 28 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You must be joking, the useless Webster instead of Thom Evans :lol:

Also i would much rather have Paterson than Southwell, who is a useless attacker and doesnt have the brilliant goal kicking of CP.[/b]

I see your point, I've never doubted Webster's defense is all, I'm sure Evan's is of a reasonable standard...but I guess having another great attacker in the line would be a good idea.

I still pick Southwell over Paterson at fullback, Godman is a more than proficient goal kicker. Southwell is for sure my pick for the Wales game. I get the feeling that we'll see Mossy in the 15 shirt no doubt, just incase he puts Parks at 10...so we at least have someone to kick for goal...or pentalies, while Wales put 3-4 tries behind us.

Southwell's defense is good, I just think we should let Mossy live out his last few years teaching Phil Godman to be the best stand-off he can be and giving us some solid goal kicking and out of hand kicking from 10. We have a wealth of good, young wingers and fullbacks, Scotland don't need Chris Paterson at 11 or 15, we need him at 10, sometimes. We don't need Dan Parks, he can go to France or something...or fall out of favour and continue playing well (on occasion) at Glasgow. Scotland need to score tries, Dan Parks is a lot of things, but he certainly isn't the man we need at 10.

This is what I think though, I'm sure Frank Hadden has a different POV from me, but it's his job.

Evans would be one of our main attacking threats, we need to get over having a decent defense (which we have never had) and actually attack and score a few tries. Southwell might be solid but he offers nothing in attack, Godmans an ok kicker but nothing on Paterson. Saying that when Rory Lamont is fit again he should replace Mossy.

Apparently Euan Murray is out of the Wales game, 5% chance of playing, my sources tell me...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmokeyMonkey @ Jan 29 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apparently Euan Murray is out of the Wales game, 5% chance of playing, my sources tell me...[/b]

well there's nothing about this online, how good are your sources?

The source of the source called him 'impeccable'. We'll see in due course. Rib problem apparently

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmokeyMonkey @ Jan 29 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The source of the source called him 'impeccable'. We'll see in due course. Rib problem apparently[/b]

well if it's confirmed then it's a huge blow for the Scots

That'd make it 3. Cross 17. Dickinson/Jacobsen now hopefully.

Southwell really should not be in the squad. Rory is the best fullback but Paterson should be there while he's injured. Cairns is one of the first names down and must play 13 along with Barclay at 7 for me.
I don't know who's fit in the front five but I'd go for this;
6. Strokosch / Taylor
7. Barclay
8. Taylor / Hogg
9. Blair
10. Godman
11. Lamont
12. Morrison
13. Cairns
14. ThEvans
15. Paterson

Strokosh / Hogg, Cusiter, NDL/Parks (hard to say if you want Paterson as reserve 10, I'd go with de Luca here), Evans/Danielli (Evans probably wins on versatility)

Thats a real blow if its true, why cant Parks or De Luca be injured <_<

Smokingmonkey, where did you hear that?

Latest posts