• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum novice - advice for feet positioning and driving technique playing lock and flanker

Scrum novice

Academy Player
Never been taught proper feet positions or driving technique in scrums. Advice please for playing lock and also flanker if any different advice. I normally have legs set up in sort of lunge position (idea of sprinters start to push off back foot). Should I instead have both feet back and behind hips. Feet level or one still slightly ahead of the other. When trying to push should I be trying to take long slow steps or driving into the ground in fast short steps? Any scrum advice in general would be useful as it's the area I need help with most and doesn't show much from my online searches so not sure if it's just common sense that no one feels the need to talk about

First of speak to your prop to see where he can feel the drive and if your angles are correct. Ask him what support he needs and where he wants you to target and drive through.

My pack used to shunt. Big push then lock push then lock. Worked for us. Dont forget its a team effort.

Latest posts