• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Second favourite national team

France is hardly geographically isolated, you are about as close to England as Ireland is and share a border with Italy. Infact France is closer to Scotland than Australia is to New Zealand.

sure, obviously. Just meant it on a more identity-oriented scale than literally geographical :rolleyes:........We're continent, home nations insular. We're the late addition, home nations are the origin. And Italy has fed off us as the big nation in continental Europe, they're hardly their own stronghold. The kilometers separating France and Scotland, and the ones Australia and NZ weren't quite the point :D

It's incredible how someone so wrong and uninformed can think they're right and attempt to take the **** like this... In this case it's still amazing but really not surprising. Anyway that's me done with this thread, I'm not really interested in hearing how my genealogy, the change in the white man's instinctive nature over time and the angle of my left ear from my head has stopped me from dismissing Argentina vs Ireland as a valid rivalry.

:D
words are very....unnecessary....theeyyyyyyy can only dooo haaaaaaarm. So here's a pic to depict my answer

jzyz6WAM5dpYgibSdykqCVEtmZgRnKingKIt5ePxlAMdPjJZOKcGzZ7TXE4DuMqtC0cDP_bYPYoX2skPD5DMUClCYWcEGjudF9bcdXbmg6e-5qTcfQM-GyN9dw

I would say my choice of a second team to support is not based on performance or results but rather the attitude of the team management , the players and lastly the fans. with that said i support Ireland as my second team. Wales and Australia will be last on my list.

Most of you probably wont care for my reasoning but for those who do here they are:
- Ireland is my second team because they have genuine professionals playing they respect the opposition and i really feel they are more humble than the likes of England and wales. There is certainly allot less boasting about their squad which is often better than wales.
- Why i don't like wales: every time before they play the Springboks Warren Gatland or one of his players will claim that they are going to win this time. After the game the welsh tend to make excuses claiming injustice or exes personal error in the team.
- Australia; i don't know why exactly but i just don't like them. Maybe its the South African media who also dislikes the Australians which sways my and most other south Africans opinion on them.
- I respect England for making the 2007 rugby world cup final against all odds. I like them.

- Why i don't like wales: every time before they play the Springboks Warren Gatland or one of his players will claim that they are going to win this time. After the game the welsh tend to make excuses claiming injustice or exes personal error in the team.

I see what you're saying, so if they said it and beat the crap out of the Springboks mercilessly in stead every single time, you'd start loving them. Fair position.

I'd say the second team I support is one from the Pacific Islands, Tonga, Samoa or Fiji, whatever it is.. They hardly train together, they have so many financial problems but they always deliver strong performances. Just respect for them !!!

- Australia; i don't know why exactly but i just don't like them. Maybe its the South African media who also dislikes the Australians which sways my and most other south Africans opinion on them.

Yeah, we get that from you lot a lot haha. From the kind of criticisms of Aussie rugby we generally hear out of SA I get the feeling it's tied up with a general lack of respect for us because South Africans don't consider us a "real" rugby nation because League and AFL are so much bigger. The fact that League in particular is big here also annoys bok fans I've met for some reason too - not sure what that's about.

I'm a weirdo who considers England as a second team (sort of. I'm not adverse to laughter when things go wrong, but that's true of every team, even Scotland...).

I was brought up in south London, dad from Aberdeen, mum from near Doncaster. Moved to Scotland around ten, then to Leeds in my early twenties. Have always thought of myself of Scottish, perhaps because my mum isn't at all patriotic, but being accused of being English as a teenager led to some kind of affection developing. Aside from being classed as one, I think I felt some sympathy for them always accused of being ******** (inspired by a very teenage anti-patriotism sentiment).

Often it's NZ just because I have family there - but I do get bored of them winning everything sometimes so really it can go pretty much any way. in terms of the home nations Ireland would probably be my second favourite - they've got a good ethic behind their rugby, just get a good vibe from them most of the time. And ever since a rather grizzly low in 2011 I've been liking the English team more and more every year. A good solid squad now that I genuinely want to see succeed. Except against Wales, obviously...

I see what you're saying, so if they said it and beat the crap out of the Springboks mercilessly in stead every single time, you'd start loving them. Fair position.

Well, it's not a fair position because none of Gatland or any Welsh players have EVER stated that they will beat the Springboks. They state that they have a chance and are looking for the win, what do you expect them to say?

Use your brains

Ugh Can't stand Aussie media and commentating. Any sport. There's cocky arrogance, and there's Australaian sports journalism and commentating. Makes me sick.

Aussie teams themselves I can take or eave. Prefer them to lose especially when playing us, but no hate on the actual teams themselves.

I just hope I don't catch Aussie streams/broadcasts due to commentating.

France, I love their unpredictable nature. They can win against the world's best then lose to a minnow the following week. International rugby tends to get quite boring because most results are so easy to predict, the French usually spice things up a bit.

France, I love their unpredictable nature. They can win against the world's best then lose to a minnow the following week. International rugby tends to get quite boring because most results are so easy to predict, the French usually spice things up a bit.

you mean we usually FUCCK things up !! :D our guys just don't like to just be consistent like everybody else, you know...just, nah, consistent ?? What is that...doesn't sound good to us.

Ugh Can't stand Aussie media and commentating. Any sport. There's cocky arrogance, and there's Australaian sports journalism and commentating. Makes me sick.

Aussie teams themselves I can take or eave. Prefer them to lose especially when playing us, but no hate on the actual teams themselves.

I just hope I don't catch Aussie streams/broadcasts due to commentating.

what commentating? If it's fox and Murdoch media in general I kinda agree, but oddly enough if Murdoch trash aren't talking us up, they're calling rugby a **** sport... It's just their MO though - Murdoch media seems to require their staff to be total c##ts

Another thing I like about Australia is that their games are real battles, you can never be 100% sure how it will end. While ABs are very predictable (they win 99% of their games). Aussies have a winning percentage and very even defeats against South Africa and England, you can never be sure who will win between: "England vs Australia" or "South Africa vs Australia". They try to play the style of rugby that I amuses me and their games are always real battles, they will never guarantee a result, they can lose against Samoa or Scotland at home and a week later can beat the British Lions, Boks or ABs, they are almost as unpredictable as the French but Aussies usually play better than them. Sorry @Big Ewis :p

It's a toss up between England and Oz... I despise them both equally...

But because I feel sorry for the state of affairs down under, the Soutpiele gets the nod...

What does mean "Soutpiele"?

Last edited:

Latest posts