• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Seven bids for 5th Aussie team

Australia doesn't have enough opportunities for development in Rugby, there are players better than alot of the Reds playing club rugby, without scouts no one gets picked, look at Toowoomba and places like that in Queensland that have enormous talent, seriously though James O'Connor was playing Colts 2 for GPS in Brisbane because the Colts 1 and Premier Colts coach didn't like his attitude, we have enough depth we just have f***witts in control.

Hawkes Bay lol. Shut up. As has been said time and time again, the fifth Australian franchise will most likely have a number of import players. By basing the team in Melbourne the game will have a more national feel, and in time these kids in Melbourne and Perth will come through the ranks and add to rugby's depth in this country. Western Sydney is also an extremely viable option as there is little competition, and there is a great number of polynesian kids living there who have nothing better to do then play rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 30 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hawkes Bay lol. Shut up. As has been said time and time again, the fifth Australian franchise will most likely have a number of import players. By basing the team in Melbourne the game will have a more national feel, and in time these kids in Melbourne and Perth will come through the ranks and add to rugby's depth in this country. Western Sydney is also an extremely viable option as there is little competition, and there is a great number of polynesian kids living there who have nothing better to do then play rugby.[/b]

Hawkes bay have 11 super 14 players in their ANZC team right now. They also have the third best rugby academy in New Zealand (according to the 2007 NZRU report) so there is no shortage of young talent. Its not a case of "maybe if we give them a team, talent might come out of nowhere" like you are alluding to in australia.

They have always been among the top producers of elite players in NZ, but due to their lack of a franchise team, all their best players leave to go after professional contracts. Guys like Josh Kronfield, Greg Sommerville, Norm Hewitt, Piri Weepu and Taine Randell.

They are one of the favourites to take out this years ANZC and have already given Wellington a sound beating.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Hawkes bay as they stand would give the Reds a hiding. and completely thrash whatever hotch potch team melbourne could throw together.

If Hawkes bay joined with Taranaki and Poverty Bay they would instantly be able to field 15 current super 14 starters, with enough players of super 14 experience to fill the bench and wider training squad. They would also have a combined fanbase population of around 400k, compared to otagos 200 odd.

Long story short, a bid from the 'Bay is nothing to be "lol"ed at. Have fun watching the australian teams fight it out for the wooden spoon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Aug 19 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 30 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hawkes Bay lol. Shut up. As has been said time and time again, the fifth Australian franchise will most likely have a number of import players. By basing the team in Melbourne the game will have a more national feel, and in time these kids in Melbourne and Perth will come through the ranks and add to rugby's depth in this country. Western Sydney is also an extremely viable option as there is little competition, and there is a great number of polynesian kids living there who have nothing better to do then play rugby.[/b]

Hawkes bay have 11 super 14 players in their ANZC team right now. They also have the third best rugby academy in New Zealand (according to the 2007 NZRU report) so there is no shortage of young talent. Its not a case of "maybe if we give them a team, talent might come out of nowhere" like you are alluding to in australia.

They have always been among the top producers of elite players in NZ, but due to their lack of a franchise team, all their best players leave to go after professional contracts. Guys like Josh Kronfield, Greg Sommerville, Norm Hewitt, Piri Weepu and Taine Randell.

They are one of the favourites to take out this years ANZC and have already given Wellington a sound beating.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Hawkes bay as they stand would give the Reds a hiding. and completely thrash whatever hotch potch team melbourne could throw together.

If Hawkes bay joined with Taranaki and Poverty Bay they would instantly be able to field 15 current super 14 starters, with enough players of super 14 experience to fill the bench and wider training squad. They would also have a combined fanbase population of around 400k, compared to otagos 200 odd.

Long story short, a bid from the 'Bay is nothing to be "lol"ed at. Have fun watching the australian teams fight it out for the wooden spoon.
[/b][/quote]
No way should a Hawkes Bay team be included at the expense of another Australia team. All countries should have 3 teams and a NZ team could not play in an Australian conference. Hawkes Bay does indeed have a case for being in the Super 14 instead of the highlanders. I do have to correct you on one issue, Hawkes Bay did not beat Wellington.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Aug 19 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Aug 19 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 30 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
No way should a Hawkes Bay team be included at the expense of another Australia team. All countries should have 3 teams and a NZ team could not play in an Australian conference. Hawkes Bay does indeed have a case for being in the Super 14 instead of the highlanders. I do have to correct you on one issue, Hawkes Bay did not beat Wellington.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah my mistake, got them mixed up with the bay of plenty there. They have still been semi finalists for 2 years however.

And i say why not include them at the expense of an australian team? they clearly dont have the depth to sustain the teams they have at the moment let alone another. Who cares what conference they are playing out of, they would still do no worse then the reds have in previous seasons.

The sheer lack of depth in Australia has seen well below par players from NZ land super rugby contracts. Todd Feather, Corey Niwa, David Te Moana, Pek Cowan,Sekope Kepu. These are guys who struggle for starts in the ANZC let alone land a Super rugby rugby team contract. And thats without having to find another 30 players!

Another australian team will destroy the competition. its a stupid idea.

Only one Australian team is fighting it out for the wooden spoon fag-nipples and the Waratahs only missed out on a point differential, beating both the Chiefs and the Canes. ***** plz.

apparently it's down to melbourne versus some random place in south africa.... i guess a 6th NZ team missed the boat.

hope melbourne comes through so i can go watch some regular s14 action. i already know a group of people who will be going to the games (albeit expat kiwis :p)

Well whoever this new team is I'm gonna support them through thick and thin. Unless their jerseys are mank obviously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Aug 19 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Only one Australian team is fighting it out for the wooden spoon fag-nipples and the Waratahs only missed out on a point differential, beating both the Chiefs and the Canes. ***** plz.[/b]

Australian teams in 2009 semi finals=0

Super 12/14 victories=

NZ-10
Aus-2
SA-2

This is without another 30 players draining your already shallow talent pool. Face it the australian teams are canibalising each other. stealing each others players like noones buisness. Melbourne/reds to finish 14th/13th. Rest of the aussie teams to stay mid table.

Do you honestly think you have the players to support another team? ***** plz.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 20 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
apparently it's down to melbourne versus some random place in south africa.... i guess a 6th NZ team missed the boat.

hope melbourne comes through so i can go watch some regular s14 action. i already know a group of people who will be going to the games (albeit expat kiwis :p )[/b]

Yeah, the NZRU said that although both Taranaki and Hawkes bay had very credible bids, it wasnt in the interests of NZ rugby to thin the talent pool. It is a wise move, but out of the three NZ is the only one who actually has the depth to field another team.

The southern spears, or kings as i think they are called now are the other SA franchise. They dont really have a show though.

What they should have done is given a team to the pacific islands. or at least base a Fiji/Tonga/Samoa/Japan/Victoria team in Melbourne.

Yeah I do, that's because I live here and have played rugby in this country for the past ten years. So i'm hesitant to adopt the arrogant assumptions of some ****** kiwi. Only time will tell though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Aug 20 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah I do, that's because I live here and have played rugby in this country for the past ten years. So i'm hesitant to adopt the arrogant assumptions of some ****** kiwi. Only time will tell though.[/b]

Haha, theres a difference between arrogant assumptions and fact.

Where you live and how many years you have played rugby doesnt mean ****.

The ARU are scrambling to find blokes to put in these teams, have you seen the misson statements for the "marque player" scheme? 1 player for each team is bought in to fill a postion that no other australian can, and spot is reserved in each team for overseas players who could one day play for australia. you are actively poaching young guys.

You dont have the players. its that simple. any thought to the contrary is merely wishful thinking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Aug 20 2009, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Aug 20 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I do, that's because I live here and have played rugby in this country for the past ten years. So i'm hesitant to adopt the arrogant assumptions of some ****** kiwi. Only time will tell though.[/b]

The ARU are scrambling to find blokes to put in these teams, have you seen the misson statements for the "marque player" scheme? 1 player for each team is bought in to fill a postion that no other australian can, and spot is reserved in each team for overseas players who could one day play for australia. you are actively poaching young guys.

You dont have the players. its that simple. any thought to the contrary is merely wishful thinking.
[/b][/quote]
No we don't have enough quality players as it stands, but another team will develop them, create interest and open up a new major market generating more revenue which can be put into grass roots. Don't be so short sighted. It's also economically viable for Australia to have a fifth team. Look at New Zealand, while they obviously have the most depth, they can't even sell out a 30,000 seat stadium for the first Bledisloe Cup match of the year. That is pathetic and in no way warrants another team. The fact of the matter is you can have the best players in the world but if no one is going to support them you can get to f***. I'm 100% positive all of Australia's five teams will be competitive.

everyone tipped the rebels to finish dead last in the ARC... they were runners up! so don't assume anything. i'd also love to see a few of the axeman go through to s14 in a few years time (prividing melbourne does get the go ahead)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 20 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Aug 20 2009, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Aug 20 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
No we don't have enough quality players as it stands, but another team will develop them, create interest and open up a new major market generating more revenue which can be put into grass roots. Don't be so short sighted. It's also economically viable for Australia to have a fifth team. Look at New Zealand, while they obviously have the most depth, they can't even sell out a 30,000 seat stadium for the first Bledisloe Cup match of the year. That is pathetic and in no way warrants another team. The fact of the matter is you can have the best players in the world but if no one is going to support them you can get to f***. I'm 100% positive all of Australia's five teams will be competitive.
[/b][/quote]
I wouldn't be confident about having 5 competitive teams when you have 4 teams and not all of them are competitive. I agree with you about it from the economic side. A rugby team in Melbourne could open up a new market to rugby. I wonder if the Victorian team will play at the Bubbledome if they enter the competition.

yeah for sure, the new square pitch stadium next to olympic park (bubbledome) will play host to the storm, the melbourne victory soccer team and the new union team (if we get one)

Wally is spot on, Melbourne makes sense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Jul 29 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Because people would be more interested in a game of Victoria v NSW than say Randwick v Southern Districts. From what I've heard Perth club games get bugger all crowds, yet the Force had one of the most loyal supporter bases in Australia.[/b]

Which Shute Shield team do you support?

Easts, probably because i know so many guys in the club, mainly through school, I also live in the area now. Back when I was living in the inner-west I'd usually watch Sydney Uni games as it was pretty close to my home ground.

Latest posts