• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SH players in Ireland.

Ironic coming from a guy who constantly slates every comp that takes place down south. Except the B&I Lions tour, that's alright ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 4 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Sep 4 2009, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anything it has a bigger impact on the countries the SH players leave to go North, but I'm not going to get into that here.[/b]
Off topic but how do you think NZ solve their problem of talent migrating en masse to European clubs?
[/b][/quote]

I think the only thing they could do was let either ANZC teams or Super 14 teams go into private ownership. I'd prefer it to be ANZC, that way the NZRU can't whinge that they don't have enough money for a 14 team competition. However, this would probably see our Super 14 teams scrapped, and I can't see SANZAR letting that happen. Not after all these genius ideas they seem to be having to keep the rugby public interested. ;)

Personally, I'm against private ownership unless there is some sort of salaray cap or whatever in place so that you don't get a situation like Football has. However, you still have to take into account that the New Zealand dollar is far weaker than the Pound and Euros, so you're still going to have players leaving for more money up North.

Therefore, you end up where we are now, and I think it is, despite what people might say, the most effective way of keeping players in New Zealand. Sure, we could open it up so that overseas players play for us, but that would probably destroy both the ANZC and the Super 14, which will likely see New Zealand's supposedly small talent pool decrease even more. The players that have left New Zealand, other than all those who left following the World Cup (Kelleher, Hayman, etc.), haven't actually done much to harm the national side in my opinion.

As much stick as Dan Carter's sabotical got, I think it's the only way that we are going to keep hold of our best players, whilst also making young players coming through have to prove their worth before being granted the same priveledge. It would take a couple of years of playing exceptionally well in the black jersey before they would get the same deal as Carter, I assume, but the option is still there if they help out their national team, so it gives them something else to strive for, other than the World Cup.

Another thing the NZRU and SANZAR could look into is allowing more international superstars to play in the ANZC and Super 14, plus less matches against Australia and South Africa, and more matches against other teams. Maybe the NZRU could even consider a tour of the Americas every now and then, where they play games against the USA, Argentina, Canada and their club sides. It's something new, and even if Argentina is the only potential challenge on paper, it would still do a lot to help out the Rugby as a global sport, which the NZRU claim they try to do (more like gain as much money as possible), while hopefully keeping the players and New Zealand public interested. Hosting tours other than the B&I Lions would also help the game provincially.

While I was watching the Edinburgh-Cardiff Blues match today, which Paul ***o was obviously playing in, I thought of how he never realistically had a chance to stake a claim as an All Black. However, he was presented the chance to go to a completely new set-up, and he might even of harboured hopes to live in the UK and Ireland before Rugby intervened. So, can you really blame him for leaving New Zealand for a country less isolated, which would no doubt enable him to see more of the world in his leisure time, along with picking up a more attractive pay packet? No, I can't say I do. I couldn't even blame an All Black for wanting to leave New Zealand for something like this either, now that I think about it. Not when I'd jump at the chance to be paid a silly amount of money to do what I love in a part of the world I hope to one day live in.

To sum it all up, I think the NZRU are doing the best they can given all the circumstances. The only thing I would suggest they do is bring back proper tours (if it is fesible, which it might not be), lessen the amount of play time against Australia and South Africa in place of this, and try and take the All Blacks to places they might never have been to before to eliminate boredom. Even a grassroots coach knows that the same thing over and over can effect motivation and interest levels, so surely the NZRU must pick up on this eventually?

Also, no, I don't think the Northern Hemisphere teams are at fault here. You can't be mad at them for offering a more attractive life style then what New Zealand currently has.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 4 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ironic coming from a guy who constantly slates every comp that takes place down south. Except the B&I Lions tour, that's alright ;)[/b]

Unless I'm mistaken, you conceded that I was indeed correct about the pathetic defences of SH teams back at the start of the Lions tour.

And I still maintain that the S14 is the biggest pile of over-rated horseshit this side of the NFL.

Latest posts