• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shane Williams Not Selected Again.

S

ScumV

For the second time in a row, Lyn jones has decided that Ickle is not up to the mark (as I also feel) Sorry Lora
<

It is crazy though, because I fel that Shane is a class above club rugby, but just not physically up to playing as a modern wing. Lyn Jones however has selected Mustoe ahead of Shane, with Shane once again benched. (not injured).

Lyn Jones has sense I see.

Williams was useful when he first came onto the international scene, but since then teams have worked out that if you pressure him the cracks begin to appear.

The problem with Shane now (as well as what you rightly pointed out, and was the same with Robinson). Is that for every point Shane scores, he gives away 1.5 points.

Originally posted by ScumV@Dec 17 2005, 09:43 AM
The problem with Shane now (as well as what you rightly pointed out, and was the same with Robinson). Is that for every point Shane scores, he gives away 1.5 points.
Thats why I think he should play as scrum half. He's far too little to be on the wing, so being at scrum half would suit him better.

But if he played at 9, he'd just get destroyed by the oppo back row. Williams is only effective when he gets the ball on the wing in space, at scrum-half he'd get swamped and lose the ball as often as he does in contact on the wing, with the difference being that he'd have the ball more often to lose in the first place!

Again in defence of Shane, he played ALL his rugby up until the season before he got capped for wales, at 9. Lyn Jones at the time decided he could better exploit him at wing. He often deputises at 9 at the breakdown, and his pass is fast enough. Not sure if he is up to International SH though, that is a whole different ballgame where instead of running around props in open play, he is going to be faced with a snarling hairy arsed 8 who wants to rip his head off and drink his blood
<

the welh teams cannot take the english teams on up front - its stuped, we need to play to our strength and we need people to take risks - shane is the sort of player who can trun a game on its head with a moment of brilliance.

mustoe have been there best player for the last six weeks - thats only because shanes been on international duty for wales.

shane is a great winger and captivates the imagination of past great welsh winger, he have got that enigmatic wizzadry and is my hero.

I dont think Shane is a good winger at all , I dont even think hes dangerous in space.

Originally posted by ALLBLACKS@Dec 17 2005, 12:41 PM
I dont think Shane is a good winger at all , I dont even think hes dangerous in space.
Once he's got the ball (as in the one per game he doesn't drop a pass) and gets up to speed, there aren't that many players who can keep up with him. Unfortunately for him, he's too small to to tackle anyone, his handling is iffy at best and it too easy to catch and hit him when he sidesteps to the left.

Exactly like Jason Robinson, only slower and smaller.

no no no youre right, williams is crap even in space, he never tore nz aprt in 2003.

He didnt even catch my attention in that game, He did well, But nothing special.

He has conceded the most tries then any player I know, He got done in by Sivivatu, NVM ill just leave it at, He lost more yards going backwards then foward in during the Lions Tour.

Not only is he bad under high ball and tackling, But he doesnt know how to play Defence, Gear would have never got that Hat Trick if Williams knew that you stay with your man on defence. Why did he go after Carter anyway when Carter was already being held in a Tackle??

He didnt do anything against South Africa, He didnt do anything against Fiji or the All Blacks. When your not producing on offense atleast get your work rate in around the field, Make some tackles or read play better.

I dont hate him though, Hey he plays International Rugby so he has to be good, Its easy to sit back and critisize players. Im just saying compared to Wingers like Habana, Rokocoko, Gear, Howlett, and Sivivatu etc He isnt up to par. When you watch SH Wingers you wonder what all the fuss is about when you watch Shane Williams play.

listen mate you only see shane a few games a year, i see him week in and week out and he is a phenomenal talent and a rare one too.

-Then why cant he perform against Southern Hemisphere Talent, From your tone it sounds like Northern Hemispheres view on Rare Talent isnt up to SH standards, Shane Williams wouldnt make Tonga, Samoa, or Fijis starting 22 I can tell you that.

He couldnt even take Fijis Luveitasa who isnt even a regular for Fiji, He went on the tour for experience and Shane couldnt do anything.

Talent, Man ppl are right you dont know anything. Hold on Ive seen some good wingers in the Northern Hemisphere you must be talking about talent in Wales, ahhh ok thats what they call it these days.

Mustoe has that physical presence over Shane, plus even in club rugby Shane gets scragged around like a wrag-doll - sorry all Shane lovers but its true

Originally posted by Gianni@Dec 17 2005, 11:39 PM
sorry all Shane lovers but its true
I wouldn't worry about it, there's only one on here. Everyone else recognises the flaws in playing him.

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 18 2005, 11:18 AM
sod of webby - you dont know proper talent - after all youre english.
<

Yep, because proper talent is not even being able to make your club team in a HEC game that has a lot riding on it...

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 18 2005, 12:18 PM
sod of webby - you dont know proper talent - after all youre english.
Oooooooooo! Touchy.

Think I may have hit a nerve there. Are you carrying Shane Williams babies or something, the guy seems to be able to do no wrong in your mind?

I think this Autumn series has shown that he is overated, and when put under pressure tends to bottle it.

LOL I didnt know Shane Williams was rated, Hes not in the Southern Hemisphere that's for sure, Sivivatu reminded him what talent was when he put the ball on his head, and all Shane did was look at the ground.

Latest posts