• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks vs. Vodacom Blue Bulls, ABSA Stadium, Sat 17:00 CAT

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
The Sharks take on the Bulls in Durban on Saturday, and is set to be an important clash.
Victory for the Bulls will increase their chances of securing a home semi. Their squad will gain a lot of confidance, and win would not only affect the log table...
Whilst a defeat for the Sharks will leave them in quite a bit of bother, with other crucial games happening between other top teams. Wins for either Lions or Province, and a win for the Griquas over the Cheetahs will leave the Sharks banking on away victories, and with an up-and-coming clash against the Cheetahs, a sense of desperation might sit in.

Sharks team: Louis Ludik, JP Pietersen, Stefan Terblanche (captain), Patrick Lambie, Lwazi Mvovo, Steve Meyer, Charl McLeod, Keegan Daniel, Michael Rhodes, Jacques Botes, Alistair Hargreaves, Steven Sykes, Wiehahn Herbst, Craig Burden, Patric Cilliers.
Reserves: Kyle Cooper, Eugene van Staden, Ross Skeate, Skholiwe Ndlovu, Rory Kockott, Monty Dumond, Andries Strauss

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/currie-cup/news/100715/Lambie_lines_up_in_the_midfield

Vodacom Blue Bulls: Jaco van der Westhuyzen, Gerhard van den Heever, Stephan Dippenaar, Stefan Watermeyer, John Mametsa, Jacques-Louis Potgieter, Ruan Snyman, Gerrit-Jan van Velze, Derick Kuün, Deon Stegmann, Fudge Mabeta, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Werner Kruger, Gary Botha (c), Dean Greyling.
Reserves: Bandise Maku, Bees Roux, Bêrend Botha, CJ Stander, Danie Faasen, Francois Brummer, Hayden Groepes.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/currie-cup/news/100714/Steenkamp_gets_his_chance_for_Bulls

Personally Im worried about Lambie at center, especially inside. I really don['t think he is big enough (yet) to line-up direclty against such tough opposition. I expect the Bulls to target him.
Nice to see J.P. back in the mix, Im excited to see him and Mvovo play together. Hoepfully the latter can finally displace Ndungane. Don't really know why Kockett was dropped, it didn't look like Meyer is up for kicking duties, especially as he has his overall game to focus on. Certainly don't want Lambie to be the only goal-kicker on the field, if his kicking is off, it would be a waste of a sub to bring Kockett on.
However, I digress. Trust in Plumtree B)
looking forward to seeing Skeate in action, certainly a more experienced bench than last weekend against the Griquas.

Scrums might be a problem, but if Lambie pulls through in center for the Sharks, can see them scraping this one.

(Sorry for the Sharks bias)

Ludik is a future Bok imo and I'm glad to see him take the 15 jersey. Lambie at 12 is a step in the right direction, he'll eventually be a flyhalf in my books, he has what it takes. He's such a exciting prospect for the Sharks.

I'm so torn, don't know whether to watch the Lions vs WP game at a t.v. by the ground, or go and watch the u19s and u21s.

I cannot wait man. Let's hope we can beat those Blue-in-the-face Bulls ;) The match against Griquas was horrible. 22-8 at half time and then losing 44-32! Unbelievable. We need this win! JP Pietersen will be playing and I see Kockott on the bench.

The Sharks bounced back from their defeat last weekend at the hands of Griquas to record a comprehensive bonus-point 34-28 victory over the Vodacom Blue Bulls in their Absa Currie Cup game on Saturday.

While the scoreline suggests the game was close, the Bulls dotted down in the last minute and flyhalf Jacques-Louis Potgieter stroked through the conversion from the sideline to give them a bonus point.

The Sharks had the better of the exchanges throughout and should have closed the game long before the final whistle with their winger Lwazi Mvovo starring with a superb finishing display on the night.

The Bulls side, missing 12 Springboks on Tri-Nations duty, were competitive throughout, and it is testament to their spirit that they continued fighting for points until the end.

But the night belonged to the Sharks, who could have put many more points on the board, and were forced over the touchline four times for what could have been tries.

Good news for the Springboks is that JP Pietersen came through his return unscathed and looked hungry for action while his winger teammate Mvovo showed he has a wicked turn of pace and the power to match.

There were also good performances for the likes of Craig Burden, Jacques Botes and in particular Patrick Lambie, who is growing with every game.

The Bulls, however, will have to return to Loftus Versfeld and consider how their normally strong defensive game let them down at crucial times with missed tackles that turned the game in the Sharks favour.

The Bulls had started off perfectly, as a great build-up and a deft pass in the midfield by Stefan Watermeyer sent Stefan Dippenaar through a gap and eventually led to the opening try by No8 Gerrit-Jan van Velze.

But the Bulls were quickly on the defensive thereafter. Keegan Daniel looked to have scored but the TMO ruled he was out over the touchline when he dotted down and Lambie had the same fate minutes later.

Inbetween Burden, who exploited space at the front of the line-out with short throws, danced his way through the Bulls defence as the visitors seemed to stop and wait for a ref call for a knock on which never came.

A penalty by Jacques-Louis Potgieter on the half hour regained the lead, but it was the last the Bulls were to see of it.

Burden should have scored again shortly afterwards, but a great tackle by Gerhard van den Heever saw his hip touch the touchline before he dotted down and for the third time, the TMO said no try.

Lambie took back the lead four minutes before the break, and the Sharks were robbed of a try again when Mvovo kicked and chased, only for the bounce to elude him with no defence in front of him.

The winger did get his try early in the second half as the Sharks exploited the left hand wing, and Mvovo continued Van der Westhuyzen's nightmare day when he bumped him off with ease on the way to the tryline.

A Potgieter penalty kept the Bulls in touch, before Burden again was denied by the TMO as he stepped out on his way to the tryline.

The Sharks then turned the game in their favour as Keegan Daniel bounced through a bad tackle by Van Velze after a Lambie break to score.

At this stage, and with the score 24-11 the game should have been done and dusted, but the Bulls picked themselves up and were rewarded almost straight away when Dean Greyling, who had an excellent all-round game, burst over the tryline, carrying three Sharks on his back.

Potgieter converted and added another penalty to bring the Bulls within three points, but the lifeblood was ripped out of the comeback as Mvovo got the ball after quick hands by Terblanche to score his second in the corner.

The Bulls became desperate, and a turnover ball was taken blind by Daniel, who chipped and collected to put the game beyond any doubt.

The visitors did manage to attack to get a late bonus point, but five points were all for the Sharks in a victory that they both deserved and earned through their play.

Scorers

Sharks – tries: Lwazi Mvovo (2), Keegan Daniel (2), Craig Burden. Conversions: Patrick Lambie (3). Penalty: Lambie
Vodacom Blue Bulls – tries: Gerrit-Jan van Velze, Dean Greyling, Gerhard van den Heever. Conversions: Jacques-Louis Potgieter (2). Penalties: Potgieter (3).
Source

Well done to the Sharks!Mvovo, Lambie and JP Pietersen were the stand outs for me.Keegan Daniel also had a blinder.Hope to see JP back in the Bok team soon!
Bulls can be lucky they got that 1 bonus point at the end for ending within 7 points of the Sharks.

Brilliant game with a good atmosphere despite the weather.

Must say the ref looked 16 or so, and some of his decsions seemed a little quirky

Anyways, very good game, and Ludik looked hungry, Pietersen too, but I thought Ludik really made some yards through his counter attacking.

Steve Meyer doesn't seem to be the answer to our fly-half problems, maybe Plumtree should try Lambie in the pivot in a game against the Pumas/ Leopards/ Lions

Can never get tired of beating the Bulls :D
Really liked the look of Lambie, Ludik, Pietersen and Herbst in this game. Meyer did better than I expected although I agree that he isn't the answer long term. Still very early days so I think we should keep him at 10 for now, and Lambie at 12. Keeping Lambie at 12 for the season will help him more than thrusting him straight into the pivot role. He is still young and needs the flexibility inside centre gives you IMO.

I had good hopes when the match started. JP Pietersen in the line-up again...

The first 10 minutes were a bit disappointing with the ref making a mistake with an initial forward pass by Terblanche which it obviously Lambie and Daniel had a good start to the game. Try after 13 minutes which wasn't given was a disappointment but it was correct. Great TMO use there.

We can also see Lambie is no Steyn ;) I would have preferred a different choice for the penalty. Passing still seems to be the problem with the Sharks. Pietersen on the wing is a delight to see. I am so glad he's back.

The Sharks-try by Craig Burden is an amazing example why I love to see them play so much. Quick passing, nudging, going inside in stead of all the way outside. Wonderful try. His second try was maybe even more magical. Short line-out, playing it back and going all the way leaving the Bulls. It's a shame he wasn't on his feet and the try was disallowed because it was an amazing move. Luckily Lambie got a chance to put the Sharks in front and he did.

Just before half time it's a shame the breakthrough by Mvovo didn't result in a try because it was again an amazing move. Terblanche and, I think, Rhodes where blocking eachother. All in all the 10-8 score at half time was a good display of the play.

The second half started off a bit sloppy like the first but when play continued it got a lot better with the Mvovo-try as a a result of some beautiful display of quick passing and smart running. About 30 seconds before the referee should have given a scrum to the Bulls for blocking when Pietersen ran towards the Bulls-line.

JL Potgieter had a good kick a little later but all together he didn't have a great night with the kicking. Hargreaves had an amazing run where he just pushed away opponents like it was nothing.

Also funny to see was the referee telling off the Sharks crew because they entered the pitch with water bottles and all when the time wasn't stopped. A referee who did an amazing job controlling the game and not let it escalate. Something we didn't se unfortunately in the Tri-Nations where there was a yellow card after 3 minutes already.

Keegan Daniel's try was yet another example of perfect Sharks-play the way we know it. nudge, run, inside pass, run, inside pass, nudge and a try. Amazing!!! And Lambie, what a talent that is man o man. I always thought Rory Kockott would be the next Springbok from the Shark tank but now I think maybe Lambie or Daniel will be the next one.

Greyling's try was a result of physical strength and that's something the Sharks miss with Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis not available.

The last 10 minutes were thrilling! So close and I could not tell which of the 2 would win it in the end. Very nice to see Skeate making his first minutes in the Tank and I hope he will bring some more of the quality we know of him later on in the Currie Cup season.

Play went back and forth. Amazing play and a thrilling end, I say it again. After 3 tries lost to TMO Mvovo finally gave me a bit of breathing space with his second try, the 4th for the Sharks.

Keegan Daniel's try made me cry! Finally he got it and how! Little kick through, picking it up, getting rid of van de Westhuizen and diving towards another 5 points!

Man o man, this makes up for that awful display against the Griquas last week.

The only thing worrying me still is the poor kicking from Lambie with the conversions. It's obvious we need someone else especially with Pienaar leaving for Ulster after the Tri-Nations.

the try by van den Heever wa also nice to see. Definitely Springbok-material that guy. Especially compared to what PdV puts on the field now. Nice conversion and a bonus point for the Bulls but what a match by the Sharks!!!! Amazing!

Lambie is usually a decent kicker, always kicked well for the u21s

As stated in the OP, maybe it is little of a risk by Plumtree to leave Kockett on the bench, and leave the kicking duties to Lambie

That might be true and I am a big fan of Kockott but I can understand he was put on the bench after last weeks performance. Lambie is a great prospect for the future together with Keegan Daniel though. I can't wait for Kankowski to return. We can use him in the next couple of weeks.