• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sidhe's Rugby Challenge

You may not be able to edit the parameters of the game but you can edit the players statistics as a whole to get the gameplay more to your liking. I haven't looked in depth through the game but I'm pretty sure there are no sliders.

There are sliders.

After having a few issues with the poor distribution in the UK (N. Ireland to be precise) I got hold of my copy last Wednesday from Gamestop and can happily say that the game is definately a grower and between it and RWC2011, is currently my preferred rugby game.

Spent a good 5-6 hrs solid at the game on my first night and I do admit to coming away feeling totally underwhelmed with it, to the point of considering returning it the next day. Was this really what all the hype was about? Really? It felt more like a Rugby League imitation of Union.
I persevered and focused on a couple of things that have improved my perception & enjoyment of the game so much:

1. RC needs to be played without a controls or game-flow hangover from RWC2011. The 2 games play very differently in terms of control layout and gameplay style or flow.
2. Use the "find playmaker/FH/FB" (or whatever its called) pass option regularly to control the game. The first pass off a ruck is generally not going to your main man as in RWC, so once this is understood, you can't complain when a lock is the first receiver when the option (albeit less known for a beginner used to playing EA ***les or RWC2011) is there to bypass that incorrectly postitioned player regularly.
3. Strongly consider who you bring in to contact and where... running your scrumhalf off a ruck, away from support and into a clutch of forwards will rightly lose you the ball, whatever ruck bind options you then use.

I was very sceptical about the game and the first few hours, despite loving the high quality presentation and graphics, left me really wondering how I just couldn't connect with this game.
After a further 2 nights of extended gameplay (5-6 hrs each again as well as playing with customisation - Currie Cup, yay!) I can say my opinion has severly shifted. It needs to be given a chance, preferrably on the easier modes to learn the controls and gameplay style, before moving up to hard and expecting to still enjoy it.

I enjoy the forward play and structured/tactical gameplay in real rugby, so loved these options and the ability to execute them in RWC2011 and as such my time with that game overshadowed how I was playing RC. The fact that the ability to easily execute the set-play and forward based game was missing really grated with me initially.

But giving the game another chance and playing it to it's strengths has really started to make it shine. Loose play, running lines, tackle momentum (and the superb animations), general AI attacking play and lineout gameplay are all far superior to RWC2011.
These are in addition to the presentation values, general animations, tournament/team options, and the multitude of customization options that are also much, much better then those offered by RWC2011.
The final overriding plus point for this game are the excellent camera options/angles that offer just so much more ability to see the game and the options open to you across the pitch whilst also keeping the quality presentation and graphics visible & enjoyable.

There are numerous areas where I'm less then happy, but the positives are good enough to make these inconveniences as opposed to game breakers.

Problems/Improvements
1. Lack of structured, planable forward play - let us pass to forwards from a ruck, pick and go from a ruck with a forward, N8 pick up from a scrum, maul from a lineout
2. No setplays - whilst the free form, running rugby in the game is good, providing set plays would allow a planned attack to begin that can later develop into the open, off-the-cuff running rugby that the game is so good at. Making it up as you go along all the time is not always desirable.
3. No quick lineouts - too often has a great defensive clearing kick been made but with no pressure following up on it, and still I still have to wait and reset for the full lineout.
4. Lack of breakdown tactics (cannot infringe, steal/kill the ball). Leads to less kickable points options.
5. Passes that can cover half the pitch and more - very unrealistic... should the ball be given defined distance value that it can't exceed?
6. Limited place-kick gameplay - allow us to adjust the trajectory and power applied to a kick, have the kicking meter always on display as opposed to hidden by the "press A to start kick" prompt which disappears to show the kicking meter already on the move. We should be able to see when it starts as opposed to playing catch-up with the already moving meter! The wind direction/speed display is great and makes you have to judge it yourself (as opposed to a generic 12kph wind speed value) but otherwise RWC2011 kicking meter options win out when compared.
7. Allow varied trajectory on chip kicks - again I see RWC2011 being the better option here.
8. Quick grubber kicks are nearly useless - to use them properly they almost always have to be held down to bring in the slow-mo mode, increase their default speed/distance to make the quick tap grubber a viable option.
9. Scrums move far too much and the ball doesn't move at all. - been said alot already, but they do go all over the place yet the ball seems to sit static until your N8 walks over it (other then that the mechanic in place is very good)
10. Custom logo options - a very poor selection. With the editing options being so good, it's a shame more generic options couldn't have been added.
11. Custom team names - again could be improved upon with more generic names/places used that would not infringe on unobtained licenses.
12. Limited custom kits - whilst the selection is decent, it is limited enough to make you realise what this could have been. Provide a greater selection of varied kits or alternatively allow us to change the colours used on those kit designs provided (2-3 changeable colours on jersey, change shorts & socks colours independant of the jersey selected)
13. No cup mode available in "Create a Competition" - why are we unable to create a straight knockout tournament (no groups involved)?

Much of the above has been said before by others, so I'm just adding my weight to the already established wants (for a further patch or probable sequel) and there are some things I've not mentioned that are probably a given to be improved upon, such as decreasing offloads and the need to remove player movement restrictions between leagues, but they have been covered better elsewhere and the game does provide some means to get around those 2 problems.

I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy the game having watched the videos and learned the reputation of the previous Sidhe League games. I did (still do I think?) enjoy the limited RWC2011 game for what it did well, but it's RC that I think about when not playing and which I come away from with a sense of fun & enjoyment (RWC2011 tends to be a tenser affair, online and offline).

The game does deserve a chance and should be played without control pre-conceptions from other games. It takes time to learn and become competent at, longer again to master it I suspect.

Well done Sidhe!

(but boo to the crappy UK distribution & release policy... surely it won't be repeated should a sequel be commissioned!)

Pretty damn good review and I almost agree with everything you posted. Thanks for that raziel_eire. I also have both and like them both a lot but I definitely like RC much better than RWC.

Agree as well about the Currie Cup download! It makes the 360 version that much better.

Oh yea & thanks about the sliders Mario, I noticed them and turned down the pinball stuff a bit.

Is the Glory cam just that it zooms in on your player when he is running? Because it seems that's what it is, a zoom. I don't like it and had to turn it off because I can't see my teammates trailing me. I also find it frustrating hitting X to break a tackle and then proceed to kick the ball once the tackle is broken! Grrrrrrr.

Someone told me that you could change the four players in the run around training thing to any of the players you want does anyone no how to do this?

Got a bit of money spare, so decided to get this today - like getting blood out of a stone!

Shops have either not heard of it, aren't stocking it, or only got 2 copies of the thing and are sold out and don't know when they're getting any more - went to three different shops (Game) and couldn't get it - One store told me it costs £60 as well (I know that Game allow stores to hike up the prices, but a 50% increase on how much it costs on their online store?!)

Sidhe should really get a better distributor than HES (or whoever actually handles the UK distribution)

Nowt wrong with Steam - if I had a computer capable of running it I'd have done the same

Got a bit of money spare, so decided to get this today - like getting blood out of a stone!

Shops have either not heard of it, aren't stocking it, or only got 2 copies of the thing and are sold out and don't know when they're getting any more - went to three different shops (Game) and couldn't get it - One store told me it costs £60 as well (I know that Game allow stores to hike up the prices, but a 50% increase on how much it costs on their online store?!)

Sidhe should really get a better distributor than HES (or whoever actually handles the UK distribution)
its the exact same over here most shops havent heard of it and those that had it were sold out within a day

Nowt wrong with Steam - if I had a computer capable of running it I'd have done the same

Yeah Steam doesn't bother me but where i am at the moment doesn't have a fast internet connection so i'm not sure how long it will take to download. Really wish they distributed a few more copies around the UK/Ireland region.

I don't get why Game only order in 3 copies of it for each console - they had about 50 copies of the new Tin Tin game.....

guys i was hoping you could help me out here. i've got the game on ps3 and i'm loving it but the kit situation and not being able to edit them annoys me. I look at the beautiful creations for the pc being made over on the sidhe forums and i wonder why it cannot be done for the ps3 or xbox. i was looking at one of my old PES games which i still have on my ps3 and i see that i have 100s of 'licensed' kits which i managed to download form a modding site. They each have their own playstation folder which corresponds to the game code and in each folder are the necessary files. Looking at how this has been done and knowing that there are some amazing modders both on here and on sidhe's forums, i really hope that something like this could be done in the near future for the rugby challenge kits because i think it could be possible. What do you think guys?

can anyone explain why if i have set the resolution to 800x600 and detail to custom, and the lowest setting (crowd off) when I play online, the crowd shows up again.

I want to turn this off to improve online gaming. there's a split second delay when playing online and i'm on 8000/512 adsl. is this normal?

i have won a few games against online opponents, but i feel like i've been ripping them off due to the lag.

Aye - better be worth it!
Not too gutted as I've got extra points on my card now so I can get battlefield 3 cheaper - so it all evens out.

Just played a quick game (Sale vs Leicester) - loving it so far, a lot better than I thought it would be

Going to go through the tutorials then edit the Sale team to be as close as it can be (obviously can't bring across Lavea, Buckley or Vernon from Top14/Pro12, unfortunately)

Edit: THAT TOOK AGES! Had to make the majority of the players

Last edited:

Latest posts