• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Simple Question: Who Will Win The World Cup?

martinspoonboy1

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
To me it seems likely that the winner of Pool A will have a great chance of making it the final. (They will most likey play Scotland or Samoa in Quarters and Ireland or France in Semis) I think it may well be an Aussie v NZ final, with the AB's nicking it!

Not exactly revolutionary thinking but there's my 2 cents, 2 pence, 2 lira's worth!

To me it seems likely that the winner of Pool A will have a great chance of making it the final. (They will most likey play Scotland or Samoa in Quarters and Ireland or France in Semis) I think it may well be an Aussie v NZ final, with the AB's nicking it!

Not exactly revolutionary thinking but there's my 2 cents, 2 pence, 2 lira's worth!

I still say there will be more than one result where a ref pretty much decides the outcome weather it be through a mistake or will full ignorance. Some of the major games will simply be to close to call.

But I think whoever comes out of pool A most likely has the easiest run after that.

If Australia run into Ireland they are ****ed. Otherwise they should be o.k

The winners of Pool A will be spent by the semis I think. Unless It's France v England I can't see them having enough in the tank to make it. They have far more gruelling games than any other team in the competition.

Answer to the question... I think it'll be South Africa but I have one of those inexplicable "feelings" Ireland could do the job!

I still say there will be more than one result where a ref pretty much decides the outcome weather it be through a mistake or will full ignorance. Some of the major games will simply be to close to call.

But I think whoever comes out of pool A most likely has the easiest run after that.

More than a possibility if they win Pool A!

I'm not sure about that. Australia is a different animal now. Last year in one of the worst Wallabies performance in a Spring Tour, Ireland only beat them by 3 (26-23). Australia beat the ABs at home few weeks ago, something that Ireland never done, and the Irish never reached the RWC semifinals. They also have to beat the Pumas to reach the semifinals, after the disaster of Durban, the Pumas won't be an easy opponent for any team.

The Irishmen are talking a lot but they have too much to prove in a WC. You can never underestimate Australia in a RWC, just ask to the Saffers. I repeat, Australia is a different animal ATM, rarely they have depth at props like now: Holmes, Sio, Kepu and Slipper. Mario Ledesma is doing a good job as Scrum coach, Pooper is a dangerous couple for any side, they have top class players like Toomua, Kuridrani or Folau in their backline. In a good day, Australia can beat any side, so watch out!

Last edited:
If Wayne Barnes doesn't get an All Blacks game, we should win.

If Wayne Barnes gets an ABs game, it's any teams Cup, serious.

Australia have improved sufficiently to make it out of their pool, but I still maintain (as I always have) that they tend to be a bit rubbish away from home. Not necessarily always rubbish, but put it this way...the way you saw them play in Sydney is not representative of their ability to play in foreign territories.

South Africa are a physical side, but I don't feel like this is their year. You don't just lose to Argentina and not have something majorly wrong. A lot of talent for the future, and I suspect their midfield shall be one of the best in the competition potentially. But I reckon they'll meet the Aussies in the quarters and bow out.

New Zealand to meet the French in quarter final 2. Obviously on paper you would back NZ, unless a choke is on the cards. But with a bit of luck 2007 will be lingering in the minds.

Ireland to bundle out Argentina in the other quarter based on form over the last few years.

England to also bundle out Scotland.

------------------------------------

All Blacks to defeat the Wallabies in Semi Final 1

England to defeat Ireland in Semi Final 2 (home advantage, Ireland to choke)

-----------------------------------

All Blacks to defeat England in the World Cup Final

There. Hopefully I've worked that out right according to the pool placements. I don't like bleating about the referee before the thing has even begun, but I do agree that the results may stray from the script in places. The quality of refereeing has been very poor over the last while.

Yeah, the Irish don't have winning genes. I don't think they can overcome England on such an occasion, in England, I would love to see it, but I doubt it will happen.

Yeah this Ireland team won't choke. We might end up not good enough to reach the final or to actually win it but we won't choke. Under Schmidt we've won 16/20 matches with 2 of those losses coming in the first three games where some players were still getting used to Schmidt's system. We've won consecutive 6N's and are ranked 2nd in the world on merit. It also looks like we may just about actually have all our best players fit for the World Cup which is something very rare indeed for international rugby.

Australia have improved sufficiently to make it out of their pool, but I still maintain (as I always have) that they tend to be a bit rubbish away from home. Not necessarily always rubbish, but put it this way...the way you saw them play in Sydney is not representative of their ability to play in foreign territories.

All Blacks to defeat the Wallabies in Semi Final 1

Maybe The Wallabies aren't the best at away games but also the ABs this year. They were dominated in Johannesburg and Sydney, their best games were at home

A semifinal between OZ and NZ in a neutral place would be epic, anyone can win

Last edited:
Yeah this Ireland team won't choke. We might end up not good enough to reach the final or to actually win it but we won't choke. Under Schmidt we've won 16/20 matches with 2 of those losses coming in the first three games where some players were still getting used to Schmidt's system. We've won consecutive 6N's and are ranked 2nd in the world on merit. It also looks like we may just about actually have all our best players fit for the World Cup which is something very rare indeed for international rugby.

Better All Black sides have had better records than that going into a RWC and choked, it can happen to any coach, any team.

South Africa are a physical side, but I don't feel like this is their year. You don't just lose to Argentina and not have something majorly wrong. A lot of talent for the future, and I suspect their midfield shall be one of the best in the competition potentially. But I reckon they'll meet the Aussies in the quarters and bow out.

Well at the RWC11 France were lucky to get out the pool after dropping to Tonga… Nek Minnit Grand Final…Nek Minnit Lose because ref makes bad call final score 8-7… So I think that they still have a chance I'm not saying they're going to take it all but I'm just saying not to underestimate the boks… And in all honesty I think Oz take the pool of death… England scrape in with a gutsy 5 pt win over Wales… Boks to play the Home team… IMO

- - - Updated - - -

IMO if all players are healthy Ireland starting XV are definitely deserving of that #2 ranking but if the Sexton Murray or Kearney goes down they'll be in a bit of trouble

Last edited:
Maybe The Wallabies aren't the best at away games but also the ABs this year. They were dominated in Johannesburg and Sydney, their best games were at home

A semifinal between OZ and NZ in a neutral place would be epic, anyone can win

Well we weren't really dominated in the South African game. We won all of our scrums, won 92% of our rucks, and outscored and outsmarted South Africa at a very difficult venue. We were off our game, but that's what happens when you miss like 28 tackles. That's our problem, nothing to do with being dominated. Especially when it carries over to the next week. Hopefully that's all sorted now, but Hansen will need to keep chipping away at it.

The Wallabies overall have a worse away record than New Zealand was my point. They also were pretty awesome at home in 2011, and that counted for jack. Last year they lost to France, Ireland and England in away games and only just squeezed past Wales. Similarly when they came up against South Africa and New Zealand away from their creature comforts last year in the RC they couldn't step up. I've actually adjusted my prediction for them, because this time last year I didn't even think they'd get out of their pool. They've definitely improved. And I even suspect if NZ do have a semi with them it'll be closer than 2011. But I need to pick a winner. I think once the All Blacks taste defeat they usually improve their game for the rest of the year. That, and the fact the Wallabies will be on neutral ground. Not receiving the buzz of the home stadium back in Aus.

Last edited:
New Zealand (1st Choice) - if Brodie Rettalick stays injury free, Dan Coles has a good WC, Hansen plays Scudder and Aaron Smith has a decent WC.

Ireland (2nd Choice) - if Johnny Sexton stays fit, otherwise there's no way.

Australia (3rd Choice) - Matt Toomua, Pocock, Fardy and Folau have good tournaments.

England (4th Choice) If the England pack turn up.

Tons of pressure against England, don't know if they''ll have enough leadership/gust to get that monkey off the back.Then again they have home advantage, but if the England of yesterday shows up in group stage, it would not shock me if Wales advances. I like South Africa and we always know how physical of a side they are. I wouldn't take into much of their performance in the TRC, several teams have come into the wc in worse shape before. I think NZ is guaranteed a final spot barring some disaster. Biggest question mark for me is Ireland. If the Ireland of the past year shows up and plays well in the WC i think it would be Ireland and the all blacks. I think Ireland has something to prove as well and would like to take the monkey of their back.

I'm not sure about that. Australia is a different animal now. Last year in one of the worst Wallabies performance in a Spring Tour, Ireland only beat them by 3 (26-23). Australia beat the ABs at home few weeks ago, something that Ireland never done, and the Irish never reached the RWC semifinals. They also have to beat the Pumas to reach the semifinals, after the disaster of Durban, the Pumas won't be an easy opponent for any team.

The Irishmen are talking a lot but they have too much to prove in a WC. You can never underestimate Australia in a RWC, just ask to the Saffers. I repeat, Australia is a different animal ATM, rarely they have depth at props like now: Holmes, Sio, Kepu and Slipper. Mario Ledesma is doing a good job as Scrum coach, Pooper is a dangerous couple for any side, they have top class players like Toomua, Kuridrani or Folau in their backline. In a good day, Australia can beat any side, so watch out!

I agree about Australia having a very good chance now, but don't agree with what you said about Ireland. I'm not being biased, and I don't think Ireland will win it, but I think people need to stop bringing up Ireland's disastrous record against the all blacks and in the World Cup.
People's reasoning for why they think Ireland won't do well in the World Cup is because we've never been in a semi final and we've never beaten the all blacks. That seems to be good enough for a lot of people. I don't think that counts for anything. Irish rugby has changed dramatically since Schmidt came in. There is consistency in results and realistic self belief, two things which Irish rugby never seemed to have. The 4 matches we've lost with Schmidt (apart from Australia in 2013) have been 1 or 2 score differences . Also, Ireland are finally learning how to not give up in the last 20 minutes, which hopefully we will continue to see in the World Cup.
Now, again, I don't think Ireland will win the World Cup, but I think we're better than a lot of people are saying. Not ever having made a semi final or beating the all blacks isn't a reason why Ireland can't do it anymore.

I think Australia will win the World Cup. Cannot see it being England. They'll go far, but they haven't got the experience or leadership in their team. A lot of talent, but lacking leadership in my opinion. Robshaw being the captain just shows that lack of experience in the team, as personally I don't rate him as a captain. So much talent in the team though, and I reckon in a year or two they'll be the best team in Europe.

I agree, in some close, physical games which will be won at the breakdown (c.f. Pool A), refs will have a crucial role. Really hope to see some good and sensible refereeing.
The All-Blacks to win it, against Australia or Ireland.

There is a very real chance that one of England or Australia won't make it out of pool play; it could well come down to points difference.

Whichever teams make it out of that Pool of death will either be better prepared going into the quarter finals than any other team, or they will be so battered and bruised that they will suffer the consequences at the next stage

I find it funny people talking about teams records and how they go here or there away from home or against specific opposition.

The reality is that matters almost naught when it comes to the world cup. Form and history go out the window. It comes down to three games in a row, quarter, semi and final. Win three games in a row and you're world champions.

And dodge some realities like rogue teams that will perform well above their place and cause upsets, and some referees will have howlers and make bad decisions that sway results. one team may only be good enough to beat another once every 15 games but if you're going to win 1 game may as well make that 1 game be a world cup knockout match.

Knockout Tournaments always suit the underdogs. underdogs go into games with unpredictable game plans and often questionable tactics that are right on or cross the line of being legal and referees make a spare of the moment decision to "let the players sort it out" or blow it up and turn the game into a stop/start penalty fest. Favorites can't afford that luxury and there is no re-match next week to counter such tactics or get a different referee with a different perspective, only 80minutes all or nothing.

And it doesn't help that referees seem to rule differently in world cups than they would a normal test match. Often what would normally be a penalty becomes a yellow card and what would have normally been a yellow card becomes a potential red card.

If the best team in the world wins, it will be the All Blacks.
Yes I hope the AB's win. McCaw & carter deserve it, McCaw being the best player ever to play the game and Carter the best 10 to ever play the game. Nonu & Smith maybe the best midfield combination in the history of the game.

Do I expect them too? no I dont.

In the very same way I never expect to win the toss of a coin.

I'd be stupid not to give me country some sort of hope. I would love to see the Wallabies claim a 3rd Webb Ellis but anything can happen. Aus, NZ, SA, Eng, Ire and Fra all could win it if things fall into place for them, a bit of a stretch for the others.

Latest posts