• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

Perhaps a small thing to be peeved about but I'm slightly disappointed that Joey Carbery and Jordan Larmour weren't brought on immediately after Johnny Sexton kicked the conversion for the 4th try to put the result beyond doubt. They need minutes in international rugby and it was an opportunity to rest Rob Kearney and Sexton ahead of the game in Twickenham.

Great to see second row depth developing. Donnacha Ryan's departure left Ireland light at the position. James Ryan has stepped in seemlessly and looks like a future captain. He ha the most carries and most tackles for Ireland today. Terrific work rate.

If Tadhg Beirne can also step up to international level, Ireland are in great shape at second row. The fact that he's played more in the backrow this season is a slight concern but it's possible to make the full time switch to second row and be very successful there; just look at Scott Fardy. Beirne is a turnover machine. If he brings this to the international setup, it could have a knock on effect on Rory Best. Best is also outstanding over the ball but is fading slightly. Beirne's emergence could make the decision to drop the Ireland captain in favour of Niall Scannell easier.

Perhaps a small thing to be peeved about but I'm slightly disappointed that Joey Carbery and Jordan Larmour weren't brought on immediately after Johnny Sexton kicked the conversion for the 4th try to put the result beyond doubt. They need minutes in international rugby and it was an opportunity to rest Rob Kearney and Sexton ahead of the game in Twickenham.

Great to see second row depth developing. Donnacha Ryan's departure left Ireland light at the position. James Ryan has stepped in seemlessly and looks like a future captain. He ha the most carries and most tackles for Ireland today. Terrific work rate.

If Tadhg Beirne can also step up to international level, Ireland are in great shape at second row. The fact that he's played more in the backrow this season is a slight concern but it's possible to make the full time switch to second row and be very successful there; just look at Scott Fardy. Beirne is a turnover machine. If he brings this to the international setup, it could have a knock on effect on Rory Best. Best is also outstanding over the ball but is fading slightly. Beirne's emergence could make the decision to drop the Ireland captain in favour of Niall Scannell easier.

It wouldn't have matted. Marmion was going to hinder any chance they had to shine. He was absolutely terrible when he came on.

60 odd minutes will do Furlong no harm. He played well but the pace of the game was a challenge for him i thought.

Have to say if we do win next Saturday I think this Slam will have been better than 2009 due to way the England and French games were away

Had a ticket for this game but unfortunately Munster game moved to Friday so can't do both. And only realised it tonight. Anyone considering going and stuck

It wouldn't have matted. Marmion was going to hinder any chance they had to shine. He was absolutely terrible when he came on.

+1

I really thought he looked well out of his depth (despite having played well at this level in the past).

Grabbing the ball, taking two steps, looking around then passing across himself to the other side of the ruck? Even Paul Marshall doesn't do that (too often).

+1

I really thought he looked well out of his depth (despite having played well at this level in the past).

Grabbing the ball, taking two steps, looking around then passing across himself to the other side of the ruck? Even Paul Marshall doesn't do that (too often).
He has taken a step back with Connacht too. I still can't see how Cooney isn't in the mix

Marmion has looked well off the pace this year. Cooney deserves a shot and he could he perfect player to be able to bring on if Murray gets injured which in reality is the only way Marmion/McGrath/Cooney will be involved in an important competitive game.

Marmion has the international experience which means he should hold the 21 shirt next week but after that I'd say Cooney and McGrath deserve shots on the summer tour. I'd say there's merit to leaving Murray at home and to take the other three to Australia for a chance to compare them and assess their individual merits.

Marmion has looked well off the pace this year. Cooney deserves a shot and he could he perfect player to be able to bring on if Murray gets injured which in reality is the only way Marmion/McGrath/Cooney will be involved in an important competitive game.

He's also a more than useful goal kicker.

Ringrose nailed a touchline conversion against the USA last year when Carbery was shooting all over the place. Luke McGrath is pretty handy as well if I remember correctly as well as Kearney obviously.

Ringrose nailed a touchline conversion against the USA last year when Carbery was shooting all over the place. Luke McGrath is pretty handy as well if I remember correctly as well as Kearney obviously.
Conor Murray is there too

Full bill of health reported by Richie Murphy, Kearney sat training out with a knock to the ankle but should be fine. We do really need him, next off the rank is probably Carbery. Sexton back practicing kicking after the glute issue.

Latest posts