• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

If he is fit then SOB will walk into the Irish side. He is head and shoulders above his rivals. The guy is a machine in green for his country.
Any team list without him in the starting line up isn't credible.

Noone is arguing about his talent more hos fitness as I said I'd be hesitant putting him on bench simply because if he's required on early is he fit enough.

So rumored team

McGrath
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Toner
Stander
O'Brien
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Earls
Henshaw
Ringrose
Zebo
Kearney

Tracy
Healy
Bealham
Henderson
O'Mahony
McGrath
Jackson
Trimble

Not sure what I make of it

Not sure what there is to make of it - it's pretty much exactly the team everyone predicted. Schmidt isn't one for surprises. There may be some lads in the provinces who deserve a spot based on their PRO12/European form but let's not kid ourselves here... Did you really expect something different!?

TBH I think this is the team that can beat England. I don't see any real alternative for FB apart from shifting Zebo there and bringing in someone like Conway to the wings but like I said Schmidt is not one for surprises. Provided everyone doesn't get injured, this is the team that will play every match, and IMO rightfully so.

Fit, not on top form whereas POM, Heaslip and CJ are and SOB is too good not to be picked. Earls and Ryan swapping places with the Ulster boys would be my changes.

I'd disagree in both fronts as I think Earls is grossly underrated as his stats are showing. But equally I'm huge fan of Trimble. But not suprised as Earls is a big favourite of Schmidt.
But interesting to hear Henderson was named today as basically what I said yesterday. "We know he has the talent but he needs to really show consistently at lock he can do it. The enginr at 6 and lock are 2 different beasts."

On backrow it's interesting if it was that and SOB goes down how we approach. Like O'Mahony is closest of others to a 7 I suppose

I'd disagree in both fronts as I think Earls is grossly underrated as his stats are showing. But equally I'm huge fan of Trimble. But not suprised as Earls is a big favourite of Schmidt.
But interesting to hear Henderson was named today as basically what I said yesterday. "We know he has the talent but he needs to really show consistently at lock he can do it. The enginr at 6 and lock are 2 different beasts."

On backrow it's interesting if it was that and SOB goes down how we approach. Like O'Mahony is closest of others to a 7 I suppose

Where'd you get the team out of interest?

Can confirm Ian Keatley has been in camp yesterday and will remain there as precautionary

Per Indo.

McGrath
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Toner
Stander
O'Brien
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Zebo
Henshaw
Ringrose
Trimble
Kearney

Tracy
Healy
Bealham
Henderson
Van Der Flier
Marmion
Jackson
Earls

In Joe we trust that's all I'll say. Not the exact team I'd have picked, but it can do a job and there's definitely some method in it.

Last edited:
Could definitely believe that's the team and these reports are usually pretty accurate in my experience

Surely the Madigan debate is put to bed too. He isn't consisered and Keatley called in means once your abroad your not considered. Keatley is playing better lately but not at standard but will be considered if Sexton out

Trimble over Earls has me a lot more comfortable as does the more intelligent bench than what was previously put up which admittedly lacked a 7. Would be more comfortable having Scannell or Marshall to cover 12 (and 13 from Marshall) with Ringrose covering wing from the pitch than the possibility of Earls at centre which scares any Irish rugby fan.

Trimble over Earls has me a lot more comfortable as does the more intelligent bench than what was previously put up which admittedly lacked a 7. Would be more comfortable having Scannell or Marshall to cover 12 (and 13 from Marshall) with Ringrose covering wing from the pitch than the possibility of Earls at centre which scares any Irish rugby fan.

As I said Schmidt must see Earls quality as he has never left him out of a 23 when available and fully fit

Just on back 3 guys. This is there Irish records.

Keith Earls
52 Caps
19 Tries
11 Assists
78% tackles made
Try per 2.7 games

Simon Zebo
26 Caps
7 Tries
7 Assists
74% Tackles made
Try every 3.7 games

Rob Kearney
72 Caps
13 Tries
12 Assists
67% Tackles
Try every 5.5 games

Andrew Trimble
68 Caps
17 Tries
16 Assists
89% Tackles made
Try every 4 games.

I will point out try per game stat can be read many different ways in it gets harder over more caps etc

Latest posts