• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Small inside centre

Drake828

Academy Player
Hi,

I really want to advance through the leagues and play at a higher level over the next couple of years but I'm concerned about my size. My favourite position is inside centre but the issue is that I'm only 5'8 - I could probably pass for 5'9 with my boots on. I'm stocky but obviously not particularly tall. I can pass well and my game is about putting other people through gaps and linking the fly half and the out side backs. I can kick and I have decent footwork but I'm really concerned that my lack of size will hold me back, particularly with coaches. I've worked really hard on my jackling as well and winning turnovers but a lot of 12's seem to be crash ball type players and the higher I go in the game the more difficult it's going to be to deal with that.

I don't think I'm structured enough structured enough play 10, I'm not a winger so that really only leaves 12/15/13 in the backs. I could probably play 9 but I'd need to work at it a lot. I don't really know what to do - I'm joining a new club in a couple of weeks and I don't know whether to try and change my position now, or which position to change to, or whether I should stick it out.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Matt Giteau may be listed as 5'10" but he was in his hole, same with Gordon D'arcy. It's definitely rarer at the pro level now but plenty of club teams have have smaller centres. If you're good enough and your coach isn't an idiot it won't hold you back too much. Sure there'll probably be situations where you'll out physicalled but if you have a good enough skill set you can still contribute. I played in a match this weekend which while a preseason game had two teams from what is the second highest amateur division in Ireland and our outside centre was motm being very physical and is maybe 5'8" at best.

Truth is your strengths will have to be twice as good as a big player especially skills/running ability and you will have to work twice as hard and not mistakes. Most coaches will find any reason to revert back to safety. Good luck it's not impossible.

You didn't mention your defence. That'd be my main concern as a coach. Being smaller chances are you'll be targeted by the opposition. Not only that, but your coach will watch how you handle that very closely.
If you're defence is strong, i wouldn't worry. Focus should be on closing the gap very fast.
I say go for it.

Out of curiosity, age and what's your 100 mts time?

You didn't mention your defence. That'd be my main concern as a coach. Being smaller chances are you'll be targeted by the opposition. Not only that, but your coach will watch how you handle that very closely.
If you're defence is strong, i wouldn't worry. Focus should be on closing the gap very fast.
I say go for it.

Out of curiosity, age and what's your 100 mts time?

Shouldn't that be 40 metres??

No, 100 meters. It's not the most accurate but it's a relatively easy way to assess someone's speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts