• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Smoking ban arrives

Yeah, i'm not sure it's had a negative effect on any of the pubs in the rural areas of Wales, and from a selfish point of view it's a breath of fresh air (pun intended) to leave a place like that not smelling of smoke.
I'm all for it personally, i think it's a great move.

I fecking hate it when people smoke next to me.
Why should i be subjected to their cigarette smoke whilst eating my food.
It's a joy, in my opinion - I couldn't care about the politics of it all.
[/b]

Spot on.

<div class='quotemain'> The Law is intended to cut deaths from second-hand smoke...

So come on people how many people die from second hand smoke in a year...

oh well Doctors estimate second-hand smoke kills more than 600 people a year.

Wow that is Huge amount of people considering the UK Population is 60,776,238.... [/b]

I would love somebody to show me one piece of conclusive evidence than anyone has ever been killed by second hand smoke.

Oh, wait, there isn't any. [/b][/quote]

Roy Castle

I'm an occasional smoker myself, mostly smoke when I'm in a pub, now that the ban comes into play I am looking forward to waking up after a night out without the arsenic headache that resonates behind the hangover and that sickly feeling in my chest, and of course £5 more to spend on booze.

The ban has more to do with the rights of non smokers that work in smoking environments than secondary smoking deaths, sigarettes have not been banned so if you really want you could still go and smoke outside. It will be easier to quit smoking, many of my smoker clients used to say that the pub was the place they struggled with the most not to light up.

If goverment criteria for banning substances was the number of deaths the substance directly caused then booze would've been out way before fags but I doubt that booze causes as many secondary deaths as fags, and where it does cause the death of an innocent you can't almost be certain that the law had been broken that ultimately led to that. i.e drunk driving.

Yeah, i'm not sure it's had a negative effect on any of the pubs in the rural areas of Wales, and from a selfish point of view it's a breath of fresh air (pun intended) to leave a place like that not smelling of smoke.

[/b]

Oh look, a self-rrighteous non-smoker taring us all with the same brush again. What you will actually find is most smokers will happily not light up or move away when there is food present. Of course there's going to be the odd arsehole who will refuse to, but that's no different to the fat barstard on the next table farting while you're trying to eat. It happens.

The only reason there is this huge outcry against smokers is because of the left wing governments victimisation and witch hunt of all smokers, when in reality they are the common mans best friend; Do you have any idea how broke you'd be if we all quit tomorrow? Your income tax tax bill would go up by at least 5p in the pound. Think about that? For every £1000 you earn, you're paying an extra £50 a month in oincome tax. Doing you a favour now, aren't we.

Then also consider what life will be like when everyone in town on a night out will be standing outside with their drinks on a saturday night. With a bunch of ****** up arseholes from different bars all clocking eyes on each other in the street on a Saturday; Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Follow this on with the increased amounts of violence in town centres up and down the nation coupled with Labour losing even more points in the polls, then what will they do? What they always have, start another witch hunt "to do the right thing"... First is was being fat, then it was smoking and they'll next ban booze next. Because how many people die because of booze or get injured through booze related violence or drink driving?

And finally? When did a single member of the public get a say on on this pathetic, political-correctness gone mad law?

Democracy, my arse.

i used to go to the pubs and smoke, now i dont even go to the pubs, i have grown out of that scene, and its too freaking cold at the moment to do that at the moment anyway.

It will have little effect on the pubs that you go to, just give it a month or two before you give it ago, who knows you may enjoy it. The times i do go to town, i enjoy not having to deal with people smoking and the smell of smoke all the time.

I did notice one positive today. I could wear the same shirt today as I wore in the pub last nights witrhout it stinking.

I shall be sampling my first smoke-free English pub tonight. Can't say I'm terribly excited.

At the time I was against the idea, because although I'm not a smoker myself, if I go out I know what the environment is going to be like.

However, it may make quite a nice change to come home and not feel like I've fallen in a hot ash pit.

We shall see. Either way, it doesn't really effect me directly. Once they ban pool tables and cider, then I'll kick up a real fuss.

I shall be sampling my first smoke-free English pub tonight. Can't say I'm terribly excited.

At the time I was against the idea, because although I'm not a smoker myself, if I go out I know what the environment is going to be like.

However, it may make quite a nice change to come home and not feel like I've fallen in a hot ash pit.

We shall see. Either way, it doesn't really effect me directly. Once they ban pool tables and cider, then I'll kick up a real fuss. [/b]

Give it two years; This government has already banned winning or losing.

<div class='quotemain'> Yeah, i'm not sure it's had a negative effect on any of the pubs in the rural areas of Wales, and from a selfish point of view it's a breath of fresh air (pun intended) to leave a place like that not smelling of smoke.

[/b]

Oh look, a self-rrighteous non-smoker taring us all with the same brush again. What you will actually find is most smokers will happily not light up or move away when there is food present. Of course there's going to be the odd arsehole who will refuse to, but that's no different to the fat barstard on the next table farting while you're trying to eat. It happens.

The only reason there is this huge outcry against smokers is because of the left wing governments victimisation and witch hunt of all smokers, when in reality they are the common mans best friend; Do you have any idea how broke you'd be if we all quit tomorrow? Your income tax tax bill would go up by at least 5p in the pound. Think about that? For every £1000 you earn, you're paying an extra £50 a month in oincome tax. Doing you a favour now, aren't we.

Then also consider what life will be like when everyone in town on a night out will be standing outside with their drinks on a saturday night. With a bunch of ****** up arseholes from different bars all clocking eyes on each other in the street on a Saturday; Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Follow this on with the increased amounts of violence in town centres up and down the nation coupled with Labour losing even more points in the polls, then what will they do? What they always have, start another witch hunt "to do the right thing"... First is was being fat, then it was smoking and they'll next ban booze next. Because how many people die because of booze or get injured through booze related violence or drink driving?

And finally? When did a single member of the public get a say on on this pathetic, political-correctness gone mad law?

Democracy, my arse.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, you seemed to mistaken me for someone who was putting across their poitical opinion.

Purely stating my personal opinion: I'm happy, i just wanted to say that.
I'm sure the treasury will still get its billions from tobacco taxes even after this ban.
And i remain happy that one of my biggest pet peeves has been eradicated.

I find it quite farcical that you call me self-righteous. If most smokers would be happy not to light up when there's food around, then why do they do it?
I mean, i'm not rude enough to go over to someone and ask them not to smoke because i'm eating. If the establishment allowed smoking in the building who am i to ask them not to?

It's an irritation that's all i'm saying. I don't want someone talking loudly on the table next to me. I don't want someone coughing in my direction. And i don't want anyone's smoke coming my way.
Nothing self-righteous - i just want to be able to enjoy my meal.

You're looking for someone to pounce on with your government facts then look elsewhere because i stopped reading after your first paragraph.

Actually, I believe that when people smoke less, government doesn't lose anything over it in tax income. Well, they do, but they win it back by not spending as much on national health insurance, or whatever it's called.

Believe I heard it from a professor at Uni.

I don't think I have ever met any smoker doesn't want to quit smoking (apart from kids). Everyone says that they wish they never started smoking & the majority of them started smoking when they was young & it was a way to be cool.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On my works night out (for Xmas) we where inside a building where there was no smoking stickers all the way around the building. Early on, every smoker there went outside, but as the booze kept flowing, more and more smokers started lighted up inside. Within 5mins of them lighting up indoors, my asthma started playing up. First my eyes started itching & then my breathing gradually got worse. I didn't take my pumps with me as I got told that there where to bet no smoking & asthma is generally ok. I had spend all the night struggling to breathe & had to keep going outside to try & get fresh air every 10 minutes. A few smokers that sat next to me got concerned about me as I could barely breathe. For the first time alot of my close friends actually release how smoking next to someone (especially asthmatics) can affect someone.

For that reason alone I am glad that smoking has been banned indoors.

<div class='quotemain'> I don't think I have ever met any smoker doesn't want to quit smoking [/b]

Yes you have.
[/b][/quote]

I`ll second that. I don`t want to quit, for the simple reason that I actually enjoy smoking.

thank god, seen it come in in New York and Ireland while I was living there.

In London now and delighted the yoo kay has finally cottoned on.

I was a pretty heavy smoker following a few years of backpacking, and i kept up the habit at uni. i thought that it was going to be awful when they stopped smoking in pubs and clubs.. in NSW we stopped the smoking in all rooms except one in pubs and clubs last year i think.. but i actually enjoyed it. i didnt mind going outside to have a smoke, and the amount of random ciggie burns i woke up with on sunday morning were greatly reduced. not to mention i didnt actually smell like an ashtray.
i have almost totally quit (for my girlfriend more than enything else), and the only thing stopping me is that i love smoking. it relaxes me, and i really like the taste, and i really just enjoy a smoke.
having said that, i really dont mind having to go outside to have a smoke, and i dont mind that it encourages me to not smoke 30 ciggies in one night out..

but one thing that does get up my nose is when they tout this law as some sort of health thing.. obviously it would be better for mine and everyone elses health for everyone not to smoke, but there are far more dangerous things out there that affect many more people much more often that are totally acceptable (ALCOHOL!?!?).
I really get annoyed at people who treat smokers like they are some sort of leper, or some sort of evil person, and then u run into them later and they are totally drunk. I find that gigantic hypocrisy...

Ah, the demonisation of smokers. I can feel more of our personal freedom slipping away. I would be ****** off if I smoked, ran my own pub and wasn't allowed to provide a welcoming space for the customers I wanted. Myself and my friends. That's bullsh*t. Surely there's an opportunity to have smoking and non-smoking pubs, so the people who care can go to health pubs and clubs.

Another thing that bugs me is the smoking-deaths propoganda. Smoking can shave a couple of years off your life but It doesn't strike you down. These aren't numbers of people killed by smoking, they're numbers of people who chose to have a slightly shorter life in order to live the way they wanted to. Fully informed (or even over-informed) people as we are should have the right to make this choice about the way they live their lives.

But we non smokers also have a right to live in a smoke free environment.

and yet you still drive around in cars... VERY hypocritical if you ask me

I read somewhere the other day that a landlord is making all the non smokers stand outside for 5 minute periods every so often to even it out... what a guy! :D

Latest posts