• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Snooker!

R

Rassie

You guys like snooker? I`ve seen some frames from China Open i guess and it`s funny. I`ve seen games in the past, i know about competitions and rules but it`s a pub sport if you ask me. LOL, you can score up to 147 points in a break !

What puzzeles me is the audience, the ratings that this pub sport achives in UK. Sometimes it beats even footie not to mention rugby ratings.

Anyway, i like the way asians are playing with their little hands and their little bodies all over the pool table , almost everytime using the `help` que in order to hit the ball.

Funny sport if you ask me! No wonder poms love it :D

yeah that was pointless, over here snooker isnt a pub sport, pool is but not snooker. and what constitutes a sport now days? meh

Snooker is a fantastic game, I play most fridays. the skill level between it and Pool is enormous; After around 4 hours on a 16' table, pool is a piece of ****.

Admitidly I become crap once I'm halfway down the second pitcher of the evening, but thats by-the-by.

real? i seam to get better the more i drink

but i am sure its just me thinking i am becoming better

Snooker is by no means a pub sport - how many pubs have you seen with a set of fulll size snooker tables in them??
Pool, however is definitely a pub sport. Was playing on an american table there the other day - Jesus are those things easy!! the pockets are like friggin buckets!!

So are the balls Stevie. For snooker, smaller pockets, smaller balls !

Anyway, i don`t think i`ll be able to complete a snooker game! Seems bloody difficult.

I`ve read snooker ratings in UK often beat rugby and even soccer ratings! Is that right? How come? Isn`t it a little bit boring to watch it?

When watching snooker on tv it is made to look easy but when you have the table in front of you - it's huge.

You almost need binoculars to see the balls at the end of the table. I am sure that I have lived in houses that were smaller than a table.

Snooker is super popular in the UK - you just have to walk past the Crucible in Sheffield during a comp and see all of the fans hanging around outisde trying to catch a glimpse of their heroes. Crazy!

It was probably the only sport where the players were required to wear a tuxedo (minus the jacket)

LOL, it`s prolly the only sport where poms can be world champions! (perhaps darts too :D )Darn, even now, i can`t imagine how they won WRC 2003. Beats me.

P.S: Yeah, i know, they won footie too in 66 but there was a huge ref mistake

Snooker is a great game to watch, I love the tactics involoved. Although I have an over-analytical brain, so it feeds me.

Although playing snooker is something different, I attempt to play every saturday before going to watch stockport county. 'Tis hard I say, i get a break of about three balls then die, can't see end of table without my spectacles on.

BM

Pub sport?? PUB SPORT?? Snooker is FANTASTIC my friend. The skill and thinking involved are awesome I just wish I could play it. I LOVE the World Championships it's so exciting!

Thought I'd dip into the generic snooker thread 15 years after the last post. The move to a shorter match format for major tournaments 5 or so years ago has started to reinvigorate my love for the sport. Happy as Larry just now watching my two favourite players Robertson (Aus) and William's (Wales). 2 matches ago Williams played a decisive shot one handed to entertain the crowd. In his last match, he and his opponent got a 3min standing ovation before the start of the final frame by 2,000 fans such was the quality of the match (combined with a sense of euphoria at crowds being allowed back).

This season it's hard tournaments won by a Belgian and a Chinese, so the sport looks to be slowly internationalising. The average age of players is still a bit on the old side given a trio of legendary players from 30 years ago still having excellent eyesight, but overall the sport looks in pretty rude health.

LOL, it`s prolly the only sport where poms can be world champions! (perhaps darts too :D )Darn, even now, i can`t imagine how they won WRC 2003. Beats me.

P.S: Yeah, i know, they won footie too in 66 but there was a huge ref mistake
Rassie not changed in the last 16 years has he!

Happy as Larry just now watching my two favourite players Robertson (Aus) and William's (Wales).
Actually watched their final game today - never really watched snooker before but was genuinely enthralling/entertaining

I think you've peaked by watching that final frame Olyy. Just don't watch any more snooker, it's often good, but rarely as good as that and it'll just be a letdown in comparison. I've never seen a red and colour stuck like that over a pocket, never mind one in a final frame that meant a difference of £40-190k in prize money.

Snooker at its best is seeing ball potting robots slowly turn to jelly under pressure and you only get that in the biggest tournaments (Masters (this one), UK Championships & Worlds). I don't think I've ever seen Williams lose his bottle like that before, as he's usually so laid back he's almost horizontal.

I think you've peaked by watching that final frame Olyy.
I think I have a knack for tuning in at the right time - never really watched Cricket but just happened to tune into the Eng vs NZ world cup(?) final the other year, that was ludicrous

Ronnie v Trump final?
That outcome is quite heavily odds on. It's very hard to see Higgins winning 8 before Ronnie wins 4. Williams winning 6 before Trump wins 4 would also be an upset, but it's wouldn't be a massive surprise to me. Their match has been typical of the tournament for me, with both players struggling to play their best snooker consistently throughout the match, so if it's Trump's turn to be off his game and Williams to play well, a win wouldn't shock me too much.

Latest posts