• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams News + Progress in ITM Cup

Yep, I got the Boxing reference, my point is that he's got the POTENTIAL to do well in the ABs and probably Boxing too, if he makes the most of the OPPORTUNITIES that he's getting now, but he's not done it yet

... might be getting a little carried away with the hype? ... I guess time will tell

Some opinions about his selection in the newspapers.
I'm really happy he made as he's a great player, but I still think it went too fast. Especially as he missed out the first ITM games due to injury and there equally good players with more ITM, Super rugby experience than him who got their cap later.
Anyway, really curious about what he will show us.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10681588

Some opinions about his selection in the newspapers.
I'm really happy he made as he's a great player, but I still think it went too fast. Especially as he missed out the first ITM games due to injury and there equally good players with more ITM, Super rugby experience than him who got their cap later.
Anyway, really curious about what he will show us.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10681588

An interesting article, I remember saying similar things when another league convert, Brad Thorn, was selected for the 2001 end of year All Black tour after playing just one season for the Crusaders and Canterbury ... i know that it's hard to compare both players, as Thorn is a forward, and SBW is a back, and Thorn turned down the jersey because he was unsure of his commitment to the 15 aside game, but my recollections are that Thorn wasn't even settled at a position in the forwards at that stage as he was playing as a loose forward sometimes ... in short, he was selected on potential, with probably other players playing better at the time.

Not saying that SBW will succeed just because Thorn has, more like, "I was wrong about Thorn, and the selectors no more than I do, SBW has been selected, I hope is does well in the Black Jersey"

An interesting article, I remember saying similar things when another league convert, Brad Thorn, was selected for the 2001 end of year All Black tour after playing just one season for the Crusaders and Canterbury ... i know that it's hard to compare both players, as Thorn is a forward, and SBW is a back, and Thorn turned down the jersey because he was unsure of his commitment to the 15 aside game, but my recollections are that Thorn wasn't even settled at a position in the forwards at that stage as he was playing as a loose forward sometimes ... in short, he was selected on potential, with probably other players playing better at the time.

Not saying that SBW will succeed just because Thorn has, more like, "I was wrong about Thorn, and the selectors no more than I do, SBW has been selected, I hope is does well in the Black Jersey"
Hell, he may reach the level of success that Andy Farrell and Lesley Vanikolo had, when rushed into the England squad.

Hell, he may reach the level of success that Andy Farrell and Lesley Vanikolo had, when rushed into the England squad.

Yep, you could be right ... he might turn out to be average ... I guess we'll have to wait and see ;)

... I don't think he's done any worse than any of the other 12's in the ITM, and he's in the AB's now, lets see what he can do

Indeed, next month he will have the chance to show us his skills in the black jersey.

Ummm ... while i'm happy/satisfied that SBW has earned his CHANCE in the ABs on form and merit, he still needs to take that opportunity that he's been given, and prove himself at international level

... besides, he's one player in a team sport ... a champion team beats a team of champions, and all that

The one thing that really suprised me about sonny bill is that he is a good team player. Coaches love him because he works his arse off and does what he's told and the players like him because he sets up lots of trys for them! I mean after his first 2-3 games he hadn't scored a try or maybe one? But he'd had the last pass in almost all the trys canterbury had scored. I think he had the last pass in 4 trys one game.

The one thing that really suprised me about sonny bill is that he is a good team player. Coaches love him because he works his arse off and does what he's told and the players like him because he sets up lots of trys for them! I mean after his first 2-3 games he hadn't scored a try or maybe one? But he'd had the last pass in almost all the trys canterbury had scored. I think he had the last pass in 4 trys one game.

And this is what people are overlooking, he is not a selfish player. He is a team player, and that's what you need in a champion team.. If the opportunity to score arises and there is also a man on the outside to pass to, he will almost always give the pass. He just adds that little extra because he is strong and has a freakish offload which is surely a great asset for any champion team. Support play is a great aspect of rugby and SBW's offloads provide the greatest opportunity for any support players running around him... Everyone on the NZ Rugby scene is praising him so what's not to like

This thread is even more crack up now that SBW has officially ousted Nonu as the incumbent 2nd 5/8.

This thread is even more crack up now that SBW has officially ousted Nonu as the incumbent 2nd 5/8.

Because of his selection for one game. Does Sonny Bill Williams know you're stalking him?

Because of his selection for one game. Does Sonny Bill Williams know you're stalking him?

If SBW ever found out, I'd like to think he'd run up and give our dear woody a great big hug.

Sadly however I suspect that once again the over-rated mungoballer would probably forget to wrap the arms...

Actually because the head coach said so. My apparent obsession stems from the satisfaction gained from being right on the subject and amplified by the enjoyment of watching him rise to the form back in the world to the embarrassment of all the naysayers.

If SBW ever found out, I'd like to think he'd run up and give our dear woody a great big hug.

Sadly however I suspect that once again the over-rated mungoballer would probably forget to wrap the arms...
He did pretty well against your mob, lucky the foot was taken off the gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty Well? As in did bugger all except given all the credit when Kaino did the difficult part of Gears try?

A bit like saying Tim Payne did pretty well for not literally having his head pushed through his own arse when packing down against Hayman.

Actually because the head coach said so. My apparent obsession stems from the satisfaction gained from being right on the subject and amplified by the enjoyment of watching him rise to the form back in the world to the embarrassment of all the naysayers.

He did pretty well against your mob, lucky the foot was taken off the gas
I'm sorry, Graham Henry said SBW was the incumbant 12? Show me proof where he said that. From what I heard he said something along the lines of "We picked on form, and Sonny Bill Williams has played a wee bit better on this tour". I suppose you think Toeva is better than Cory Jane, Andy Ellis is better than Alby Mathewson and Steven Donald is better than anyone?

NZPA - November 26, 2010, 6:59 am NZPA ©

It is yet another proud moment in his meteoric rise to international rugby, though Sonny Bill Williams sounded almost apologetic when contemplating his starting role in the All Blacks Grand Slam-defining test against Wales on Sunday (NZT).
An intimidating presence on the field since his test debut at Twickenham, the 25-year-old was contrite today when the significance of his selection ahead of Ma'a Nonu at second five-eighth was raised.
Williams immediately played down the relevance of a third start on his first All Blacks tour, rejecting suggestions Nonu may now exist in the shadows of the 1.91-metre ball runner -- or on the bench, where he sits at Millennium Stadium.
"We all know I'm not the number one 12 in the country," he said.
"You kind of know what the coaches are doing. It's the last kind of hit out -- I'm the new kid on the block, they just want to give me game time so I can find my feet.
"To me and the people that matter, Ma'a is the No 1," he reiterated.
"I know where I stand, I have to keep working hard to keep my foot in the 22."
Williams shifted uncomfortably in his seat when facing the press, an indication of the potentially awkward position he finds himself in given Nonu has been his greatest source of guidance since he joined the All Blacks pre-departure camp in Auckland last month.
"I've learnt so much off Ma'a, more than anyone else this tour," he said.
"He's really taken me under his wing and helped me out a lot."
The 55-test veteran might have inadvertently jeopardised his own career by easing Williams' introduction to one of professional sport's most intense working environments.
They started in midfield together against England, with Williams occupying Smith's centre berth, but since then the former league star has reverted to his preferred position outside Dan Carter.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/8393364/sonny-bashful-limelight/

He seems like he's a fairly modest guy, but realistically he still has some way to go before he's the finished article, and one match against Scotland does not a great All Black make. People's argument was not on how good SBW was (find me a time when someone said he was a bad player), it was how he should have either not been signed (which was my argument, as I still think it sends a very bad message to players who have been loyal to New Zealand) or that he should not have been selected ahead of Robert Fruean or other big choices, who have earned the jersey more than Sonny Bill Williams.

He still has some way to go, before he's the finished article, but what no one needs is someone who will big up everything he does, whether it is good or bad. His match against England was average. That's a fact. One nice off-load to Hosea Gear was about as far as it went. His match against Ireland he got little ball, so he can't be judged upon that. So, we're now going off one good match against Scotland, how about you stop running your mouth off and making stupid statements, and hope he does prove to be the saviour you so desperately love, because right now I think Ma'a Nonu is still the first choice 12, and I think if this was the RWC final, Ma'a would be starting.

he made the half break and gave the ball having drawn in the defence, then in the second half with nothing on he casually sliced your midfield to pieces and gave another perfect ball that should have been a try. Both bigger plays than either of the English midfielders made, or Nonu since Hong kong. It would be stating the obvious to say he is superior to Tindall or Hape in every aspect.

I'd take his passing at halfback over Ellis too

I would say he had a good debut against England, two big plays and no big mistakes. If by average you mean average for a 2010 All Black, then yeah he's the real deal and fit nicely into the best team since 05 on his debut. He's picked as our best 12, so he's the incumbent Nonu would play a WC final but only for experience.

Last edited:

Latest posts